UK Air Accidents

Old June 16th 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graham Drinkell

Default UK Air Accidents

Recent Air Accidents/Incidents appear to have been very poorly reported by
the press. Especially when light aircraft are involved. They are extremely
unknowledgable, wether a paraglider (or other a/c) / RAF training a/c is
involved?
Old June 17th 09, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Starer[_2_]

I suspect press reporting in of air accidents and incidents in the UK is
worse than in most places in the world. The attitude (particularly of local
press) seems to be that flying is a dangerous newfangled fad that should be
discouraged at all costs. In many other European countries gliding is part
of the fabric of everyday life and I would expect reporting there to be
better informed and as a result, much more balanced and accurate.

A member of my club recently made a perfectly normal, safe outlanding in a
field in Lincolnshire near to a field where a cricket match was in progress.
Unfortunately the local rag found out and reported it in the usual
sensationalised "Glider Pilot in Shock Horror Death Plunge" kind of
language. This does nothing to enhance public perception of our sport and I
think we need to be much more diligent in taking the culprits to task. If we
insisted on balanced, accurate, and informed reporting maybe we could start
preventing this kind of ignorant rubbish from appearing in print, along with
the damage it does to our sport.

Old June 17th 09, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jose Jimenez

)

A member of my club recently made a perfectly normal, safe outlanding in
a field in Lincolnshire near to a field where a cricket match was in
progress. Unfortunately the local rag found out and reported it in the
usual sensationalised "Glider Pilot in Shock Horror Death Plunge" kind
of language.

Unfortuately, this is the norm rather than the exception even in
Germany. For the very least it's titled as an "emergency landing".
Old June 17th 09, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Starer[_2_]

"José Jiménez" nospam@please wrote in message
David Starer wrote:

In many other European countries gliding is part of the fabric of
everyday life and I would expect reporting there to be better informed
and as a result, much more balanced and accurate.

)

A member of my club recently made a perfectly normal, safe outlanding in
a field in Lincolnshire near to a field where a cricket match was in
progress. Unfortunately the local rag found out and reported it in the
usual sensationalised "Glider Pilot in Shock Horror Death Plunge" kind of
language.

Unfortuately, this is the norm rather than the exception even in Germany.
For the very least it's titled as an "emergency landing".

At least that's a "landing" of some sort; here it's usually reported as a
"crash", even when it's blindingly obvious there wasn't one!

Old June 17th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

David Starer wrote:

In many other European countries gliding is part of the fabric of
everyday life and I would expect reporting there to be better informed
and as a result, much more balanced and accurate.

)

A member of my club recently made a perfectly normal, safe outlanding in
a field in Lincolnshire near to a field where a cricket match was in
progress. Unfortunately the local rag found out and reported it in the
usual sensationalised "Glider Pilot in Shock Horror Death Plunge" kind of
language.

Unfortuately, this is the norm rather than the exception even in Germany.
For the very least it's titled as an "emergency landing".

At least that's a "landing" of some sort; here it's usually reported as a
"crash", even when it's blindingly obvious there wasn't one!

The only bright spot is that these local rags are rapidly dying for
lack of advertising revenue. The screaming headlines and lurid
stories are a desperate attempt to hang on to readers for their
advertisers as long as possible. Real "news" vanished from their
pages long ago - pretty much everyone knows that.

The Internet with it's unlimited choice has won. For newspapers, the
'light at the end of the tunnel' is the headlight on a train named
Google.

I still relish the look on the face of a newspaper marketing guy who
knocked on my door with an unfortunate lad in tow trying to get me to
take the local paper for "free" when I told him, "No, I don't want to
pay the refuse collector to haul it away." If you can't sell "free",
you're toast.
Old June 17th 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Del C[_2_]

Some years ago I made the front page of the Leicester Mercury when I made a
field landing during a Hus Bos Comp.

Allegedly I was 'desperately seeking somewhere to land', 'swooped low
over a farmhouse', and then 'crashed into a field where some local
schoolchildren had been playing only the previous day'.

Actually it was an out and return task, I had identified the field as
being suitable when I got a bit low on the way out, some 30 minutes before
I actually landed in it, and did a very copybook circuit and landing. It
was a nice big field with no obstructions on the approach, stubble
surface, and no animals or children!

They also got my name and the make of my glider wrong. The only facts they
got right were that I was unhurt and the glider was undamaged! They never
spoke to me, only a couple of witnesses and the police who had checked
that I was OK.

What can you do?

Derek Copeland

At 15:01 17 June 2009, bildan wrote:

=

Old June 17th 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wyld[_2_]

"brave pilot narrowly avoids school" etc. Well, of course s/he would,
school buildings are very hard and they will hurt. School playing fields
are much more accommodating (with or without soft squishy
schoolchildren).

Old June 18th 09, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

I would avoid playing fields if possible. They often have been 'levelled'
leaving large steps between levels. I know to my cost!

Jim

Old June 18th 09, 10:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 17 June, 14:46, "David Starer" wrote:
If we
insisted on balanced, accurate, and informed reporting maybe we could start
preventing this kind of ignorant rubbish from appearing in print, along with
the damage it does to our sport.

There isn't the slightest chance of anybody being able to insist of
"balanced, accurate and informed reporting". Insist to whom? Under
threat of what penalty?

Ian

Old June 18th 09, 10:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 17 June, 18:00, Del C wrote:

They also got my name and the make of my glider wrong. The only facts they
got right were that I was unhurt and the glider was undamaged! They never
spoke to me, only a couple of witnesses and the police who had checked
that I was OK.

What can you do?

Phone the reporter and invite him/her for a flight?

Ian

Accidents Big John Piloting 3 December 14th 05 02:19 PM
UK vs USA Glider Accidents Mike the Strike Soaring 5 November 28th 05 12:13 AM
Some accidents... (Part 2) Hilton Piloting 8 January 16th 05 03:43 AM
Accidents happen... Manuel Piloting 26 November 28th 04 12:32 PM
FAA violations and accidents Doug Owning 22 November 5th 04 02:58 PM