Oudie 2 profile examples

Old December 5th 20, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Oudie 2 profile examples

Been playing around with my Oudie 2, and the options to set the map and navigation boxes almost seem infinitesimal. I've tried searching for templates and/or examples that others have created, but not much luck. I prefer a clutterless map, but can't decide on the choice of boxes.

How have you configured the 2 maps? I would love to see examples and what the consensus is. Thanks,

Paul
Old December 5th 20, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Friday, December 4, 2020 at 6:00:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Been playing around with my Oudie 2, and the options to set the map and navigation boxes almost seem infinitesimal. I've tried searching for templates and/or examples that others have created, but not much luck. I prefer a clutterless map, but can't decide on the choice of boxes.

How have you configured the 2 maps? I would love to see examples and what the consensus is. Thanks,

Paul

Their is no consensus. It all comes down to personal preference and mission. I have the two windows configured for very different missions. My main window is configured for racing to give me maximum information to allow me to make good tactical decisions. That window is nearly half full of nav boxes. The second window is designed for survival mode. It gives me maximum information to stay in the air, reach the nearest airport, or land safely in a field.

SeeYou Mobile is infinitely customizable, best is just to play with it and see what you like. If you have specific questions of what you want to see I am glad to provide help. Several ways to start is to make a list of what information you want or go through the list of boxes with the manual and make a list of those that you would like to try.

Old December 5th 20, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Bamberg

Paul,

I spent many hours working up a profile for my Craggy Ultimate. I got it to a nice usable (for me) state before I reverted to an XCSoar device. In both cases I think a good process to use starts with reviewing the stages of your flight, however you want to slice it, and then asking "What do I want to know in this stage of my flight?". You'll find that for some data, you always want it, it needs to be always available.

As Tim mentioned, if you're a racer you may want to set up two different "Pages" in the Oudie for two very different situations. (You can make an Info Box an active button that can switch from page to page).

I could go on, but as noted you need to just work through the manual and try some stuff out. I've found that for each of the various flight computers there is a fairly steep learning curve. This is due, I think, to both the complexity and flexibility of these devices, as well as the personal needs of the pilot.

Mike
Old December 5th 20, 07:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Loved my old Oudie. A few quick Oudie profile comments;

- It isn't a very good idea to play with nav boxes while in the air ... especially so while bouncing around in gliders. To me the easiest way to troubleshoot what boxes I wanted was to use the Oudie in an automobile while navigating to some turnpoint airport, i.e. to/from home and my gliderport. Then I could safely pull over to the side of the road, fiddle with what I wanted, and then drive some more.

- When experimenting I suggest that you first make a copy of your current profile "just in case". When making lots of changes you can rapidly screw things up and be unable to remember how you got there and how to get back. I tended to start the season with a fresh copy of my profile. I named the new profile with at least the date. I also would copy my current base profile to make it specific to where I was flying (contest, safari, etc). Things like turnpoint/SUA databases, aircraft polar, terrain colors on or off, etc.

- Backups. Connecting the Oudie to your computer via a USB cable will mount it like a memory stick. You can then make backups of all the contents "just in case". Profiles are important in particular. It is also the easiest way to jump start a new owner by giving him my profile. My (very old) Oudie profiles can be found at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/Oudie/backups/ - I kept them online "just in case". Allowed me to rebuild a replacement Oudie or even borrow someone else's if necessary without screwing it up.

My $0.02.

- John OHM

PS - I think Paul meant "infinite" not "infinitesimal". I once mistakenly typed "not" instead of "now" at work and totally inverted the meaning of my sentence. Yep, nothing got done that day. Damn spell checkers.
Old December 5th 20, 09:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Seeing dozens and dozens of Oudie users from beginners to top competition pilots, disturbing fact is that over half of them use factory default profile. Same thing with brand new 300k gliders with most expensive panel avionics: everything in default settings and some pilots hardly know how to switch variometer from thermal to cruise mode.
Old December 5th 20, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

Paul
I've been a SeeYou mobile user form the start.
On page 1 I set up the nav boxes for cruising, whether it be a racing task or a OLC day.
On page 2 I make sure I have my Track function turned on and have the zoom set to .5 mile.
When I start to thermal I switch to this page and my circles show up and I can see the drift and the strong areas. Color code this track and you can see the stong areas easily.
I personally don't use the graphic Thermal maximizer, but I do use the "Bell" audio function of the thermal maximizer that rings 4 secs before you hit the strong point of your 360.
As Tango Tango mentioned, SYM has ALOT of options, learned most of them sitting in my chair watching TV with the current manuel nearby. Take your time, it will take many sessions to learn all the options, but well worth it!
If your trying for OLC points make sure to turn the OLC track function on as at the end of the day you need to " Close your triangle" If can see the start of your OLC track its easy to CTT.
There is a tutorial out there on the internet on setting up SYM, I'll try and find it and post the link.
Nick
Old December 5th 20, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
India November[_2_]

On Saturday, December 5, 2020 at 9:33:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

A couple of years ago I changed to an Oudie and SYM from my previous setup with Winpilot on a PDA. I found flying Condor and driving the Oudie with the simulated NMEA out was a great (and safe) way to learn the software and set it up to your preferences.

Ian IN
Old December 8th 20, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, December 4, 2020 at 9:39:53 PM UTC-5, Tim Taylor wrote:
[...]

Thanks Tim. I've playing with it for days now, and I have different profiles made for the club ships I fly, all the same with the exception of the polars. I like the idea of making map 2 a "survival mode" map.

Paul
Old December 8th 20, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, December 4, 2020 at 10:45:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Mike, I did create a an active button so I can quickly change from map 1 to map 2. I'll continue playing with it. Thanks,

Paul
Old December 8th 20, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, December 5, 2020 at 1:13:09 AM UTC-5, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

Thanks John, and yes, spell checkers are entertaining . I tried going to your link, but it doesn't work. I'll continue playing with it while on the ground.

Paul