Houston JS1c crash ONLY (not in any way about a Puchaczs, or anything else!)

Old July 17th 14, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default Houston JS1c crash ONLY (not in any way about a Puchaczs, or anything else!)

For the love of god, please discuss no other subjects here but the JS1 and this very sad accident.

Do we even know that this accident involved a spin yet? Any factual information? Did anyone see it spinning? It easily could have been a medical or a structural failure or rigging issue, etc? Has anything new been learned about this accident other than that the glider crashed and a pilot was fatally injured.

It is sickening to me when an accident happens. But I think its important to do what it takes to understand the cause and increase my knowledge. The previous thread had almost no value in terms of the JS1 or this accident and is clearly drifting off into the abyss.

I was very close to ordering a JS1c this summer. I would like to race 18/Open more than 18/15 as 15 is likely going to be handicapped soon. I have put a purchase decision off for a bit, but still have serious interest in the JS1c for the future as it is clearly very strong in both 18m and Open class around the world.

Personally, I think the JS1c is as safe as any other modern glider. That is to say that they are all high performance aircraft with massive wings, tiny control surfaces and a tendency to fly with aft CG most of the time, etc, etc (;-)).

I would love to hear other meaningful and relevant opinions about the JS1c as well as any updates relating to the cause of this terrible accident.

So basically, unless you have flown a JS1, own a JS1 or plan on buying a JS1 there is probably not alot you can add (or subtract) from this thread. Sorry...but true.

Sincerely,

Sean

Sean
Old July 17th 14, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alexander Georgas[_2_]

I cannot comment on the circumstances of the accident, but regarding the
JS1-C, having flown it in 18m configuration for half a season now, I can
report that it is one of the easiest and certainly the most
pleasure-inducing glider I have ever flown. Even in the most difficult
of conditions, it seems to give the confidence that it is there to help
the pilot rather than confuse him.

I have not tried to spin it yet, but have tried to stall it and it will
require quite a bit of positive effort to do so and will give ample warning.

Simply said, I would not change it for anything else.

Regards,

Alexander - SB

Old July 17th 14, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I was lucky enough to get 3 flights in an 18 meter JS-1 last year, and also was nothing but impressed with its flight characteristics.
Old July 18th 14, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

I have received a number (5+) very heartfelt emails from JS1 owners and pilots in the US and overseas discussing their experiences and thoughts with the JS1c in both 18m and 21m (dry and wet, etc). Thanks to all of you for taking the time to write some really honest, highly descriptive emails about your experiences. It sounds like it is a hell of a good sailplane.

I would be happy to have private discussions with anyone else interested in hearing what I have learned.

Sean

Old July 19th 14, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Perhaps you'll consider posting a compendium of those emails here for others to benefit, de-identified of course. Share the knowledge!

Casey
Old July 19th 14, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, July 18, 2014 5:39:46 AM UTC-7, Sean Fidler wrote:
I would be happy to have private discussions with anyone else interested in hearing what I have learned.

Sean - Anyone suggest you buy a Puchacz?

:-P
Old July 19th 14, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Hey! Lol!
Old July 19th 14, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:55:57 PM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
For the love of god, please discuss no other subjects here but the JS1 and this very sad accident.

um.
Old July 19th 14, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Why would people choose to not share a positive feedback about a glider? Why would they chose to send private emails? Sorry, I don't get it.

Ramy
Old July 19th 14, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

[...]

I'm interested in ordering a JS1-Cj too Sean. Please share the responses you received.