New CFI

Old August 21st 05, 11:35 PM
Robert M. Gary

RST Engineering wrote:
And I'm not sure who you are talking to without at least a word or two of
the prior message.

The claim was that you could be a CFI-A w/o an instrument rating on
your commercial pilot certificate. That is not the case. There used to
be an instructor rating that did not require an instrument rating but I
believe 1973 was the last year you could still exercise that rating (it
was actually a rating that went on your pilot certificate).
Today, all CFI-A are instrument rated on their pilot certificates. If
someone believes there is a CFI-A out there w/o an instrument rating I
would challenge them to
1) Post that person's certificate here from the FAA registry showing a
CFI-A certicicate w/o an instrument rating on their pilot certificate
or
2) Post the name of the FSDO that is issuing CFI-A tickets to pilots
w/o requiring instrument ratings on their commercial pilot
certificates.

We can figure this out pretty quick. If those that claim you can be a
CFI in an airplane w/o an instrument rating would just show ONE CFI-A
w/o an instrument rating.

-Robert

Old August 21st 05, 11:42 PM
Robert M. Gary

BTW: I post the same challenge for commercial. Show me one CFI-A from
registry.faa.gov who does not hold a commercial pilots certificate or
ATP.

Old August 22nd 05, 12:30 AM
Peter Duniho

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not sure what you are trying to day.

I'm trying to say that the requirement that one holds a Commercial pilot
certificate in order to take the CFI exam and to receive the CFI certificate
has nothing to do with whether one is required to have a valid Commercial
pilot certificate in order to use the CFI certificate.

The fact is that there are no
CFI-Airplane instructors that are currently eligible to teach in
aircraft that do not have an instrument rating.

That's a complete non-sequitur to your post to which I replied.
However...you wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
But you do have to have a commerical or ATP ticket to show up for your
CFI checkride.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with whether a CFI is required to have an
instrument rating.

If you believe you know
of a FSDO that is issuing CFI's to pilots w/o an instrument rating,
please post the name of the FSDO.

I have no idea how you got on to the topic of having an instrument rating,
when we were talking about having a Commercial certificate.

Pete

Old August 22nd 05, 12:32 AM
Peter Duniho

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
The claim was that you could be a CFI-A w/o an instrument rating on
your commercial pilot certificate.

What claim? I didn't make that claim. I simply pointed out that not having
an instrument rating was in no way a barrier to having a Commercial
certificate.

Old August 22nd 05, 12:33 AM
Peter Duniho

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
BTW: I post the same challenge for commercial.

Likewise, I made no claim about HOLDING a Commercial pilot certificate. I
simply pointed out that one need not USE a Commercial pilot certificate to
USE a CFI certificate.

It seems to me you managed to get yourself turned around in the thread
somewhere. At least with respect to your replies to my posts, you appear to
not have been actually reading my posts.

Pete

Old August 22nd 05, 02:15 AM
Robert M. Gary

This is what started this thread...

"For example, if I wanted to apply for a CFII, I would have to have the

instrument rating. If I wanted to apply for a CFI SEL, I would have to
have
a commercial with a SEL rating on it -- no instrument. "

That statement is clearly wrong (at least with regard to CFI SE (there
is no CFI SEL) that is exercisable post 1973.

-Robert

Old August 22nd 05, 04:37 AM
Peter Duniho

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is what started this thread...

But "this" is not what you replied to.

[...]
That statement is clearly wrong (at least with regard to CFI SE (there
is no CFI SEL) that is exercisable post 1973.

You are correct, it's wrong. If that was the point you wanted to make
earlier, you should have replied to the post in which that text appeared,
rather than replying to mine, and replying with information that was
irrelevant to my post.

You may also consider actually *quoting* the text to which you are replying.
This will do two things: help those reading your posts have a clue as to
what you intend to comment on; and help YOU to understand better which posts
you are actually replying to.

Pete

Old August 22nd 05, 06:33 AM
tony roberts

So ya just opened up a whole rats nest.
Whatever anyone tells you, someone else will disagree.
So I'm not offering any advice at all - just asking a question

Do you want an experienced CFI, or a green as grass CFI?
It's a free world - and you may indeed decide that it is your lot to pay
for the early training of new, green behind the ears CFI - or you may
decide that your hard earned and limited funds are better spent on a
proven experienced CFI. It's up to you - I'm going to get **** for even
raising the doubt

Do what feels best - you don't owe anyone anything!

Tony
C-GICE

In article JmcNe.260850$x96.20579@attbi_s72,
"Mediacom" wrote:

Well, after lingering in these groups for a while and dreaming about the day
I could start flight lessons I think that day is finally here. I made a
trip out to the local FBO to figure out what exactly the next step is and
more specifically how I go about choosing a flight instructor. It turns out
that the experienced instructors all have pretty full schedules mainly
because of charter flights. There is at least one experienced CFI that
might have some openings. The manager of the FBO recommended that I talk to
a new CFI at the FBO. He is brand new. He just got his CFI a few months
ago and he is not instrument rated. I guess I am looking for any advice on
starting lessons with a "baby" CFI. Obvious concerns are 1. That he will be
hesitant to put his students up for a check ride because he will not want
them to fail. 2. I might miss out on the wisdom of a more experienced
pilot. 3. His lack of an instrument rating will make me miss out on some
wisdom in that area as well. Obviously I know that CFIs have to start with
a blank slate and I am not necessarily opposed to taking up lessons with
him. I'm just interested in any feedback.

Thanks!

Jeremy

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old August 22nd 05, 03:42 PM
Jose

Do you want an experienced CFI, or a green as grass CFI?

The answer is obvious, all other things being equal. But all other
things are not equal; in fact the mere difference in experience makes
some things unequal in ways that counteract the obvious.

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no universe.
Old August 22nd 05, 05:04 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

No, if you have CFI you can charge.

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
So long as (s)he isn't charging the student ...

Jim

"Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote in message

I don't understand why you think they would interpret it that way. They
have already made it very clear that an instructor isn't in the airplane
to fly but rather to teach. A CFI isn't exercising the privileges of his
commercial ticket when he is teaching as exampled by NOT having to have a
2nd class medical.