K2 vs. StarkPower LiFePo4 batteries

Old February 3rd 15, 10:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fox Two[_2_]

Default K2 vs. StarkPower LiFePo4 batteries

Are there significant differences between these batteries? Why is there a 50% difference in their cost? I've noticed that some brands have more restrictive low temperature limits - not good for those cold wave flights!

Chris
Old February 3rd 15, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We have been selling the Starkpower battery for more than a year now. Started out very cautiously - selling only a few to a few of our steady customers. We have now sold several hundred with no complaints. They really are great and are exactly the same size as the battery they replace.

One caution is you must use the special charger (inexpensive) that shuts off when the battery reaches a fully charged state.

Tom Knauff
Knauff & Grove, Inc
Ridge Soaring Gliderport

www.eglider.org

Old February 3rd 15, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

At 11:33 03 February 2015, wrote:
We have been selling the Starkpower battery for more than a year now.
Start=
ed out very cautiously - selling only a few to a few of our steady
customer=
s. We have now sold several hundred with no complaints. They really are
gr=
eat and are exactly the same size as the battery they replace.

One caution is you must use the special charger (inexpensive) that shuts
of=
f when the battery reaches a fully charged state.

Tom Knauff
Knauff & Grove, Inc
Ridge Soaring Gliderport

www.eglider.org

Tom, I want to fit Stark batteries to my ASW27 and am aware of their advice
re charging. Problem is that three years ago I fitted at great expense
Strobl solar panels with their OS4 charge controller. This controller is
designed for two SLA batteries and produces approx. 800ma shared between
the batteries. With SLA this will bring them up to full charge over time
and maintain them at c. 13.6 Volts. The panels have an open circuit max
voltage of 17V.

When flying I draw at least 800ma so the panels are just helping to
lengthen the operating time of my batteries so I do not see this would be a
problem but with the instruments turned off the panels would probably be
trickle charging. What is your opinion? If the internal battery circuitry
is managing the battery would that not shut down the charge when full?

I suppose that I could add a circuit to turn off the power completely at
14.6v but that would be a pain.

Any knowledgeable advice welcome.

Jim

Old February 3rd 15, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Not to belittle Tom in any way, but you'd be better served to pose that
question directly to the battery's manufacturer. Perhaps they can point
you to a DC to DC charger which could use the output of your solar cells
and the logic of their smart charger. If you're handy with a soldering
iron, you could possibly make such a device.

I use a Tenergy battery (love it) and, by asking the manufacturer, they
sent me a spec sheet on their smart charger. It settled a lot of my
nerves about using a LiFePO4 battery.

Good luck!
Dan

--
Dan Marotta

Old February 3rd 15, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 7:00:07 AM UTC-8, Jim White wrote:
[...]

Call Starkpower. They are very helpful on the phone. Since the LFP charger shuts off at 14V, the 13.6 set point of your regulator is probably fine - but it may depend on how it is regulating.
Old February 4th 15, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

I'll preface my remarks with the statement that I sell K2 batteries.

The K2's are made in the USA, not Chinese knock-offs. K2 pays a fee to the patent holder while the knock-off's do not. K2 has also had their batteries UL certified and listed.

These items account for some of the price difference.

The K2 also have a higher Watt-hour rating at 123 vs 115 for the Stark and the K2 are rated for 25 amp continuous discharge vs 15 for the Stark. The K2's also have a better temperature range.

In my opinion, the K2 is a superior product and is worth the extra cost.

I sell K2 batteries with the protection module for $150 US and chargers for $30 US and will have some on hand at the Seniors at Seminole Lake. For any one interested in purchasing a K2, contact me at the address below.

Dave Springford
dave at foxonecorp dot com
Old February 4th 15, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 6:50:28 PM UTC-5, Dave Springford wrote:

The K2's are made in the USA, not Chinese knock-offs. K2 pays a fee to the patent holder while the knock-off's do not. K2 has also had their batteries UL certified and listed.

This wins my dollar. I'd be concerned that the internals of Starkpower would change from batch to batch. The blatant ripoff of 'Stark Industries' from the 'Ironman' franchise is a red flag.

I also don't buy baby formula that is made in China.

Of course I buy all sorts of non-critical well made components/products from China. And they do a good job on things like the Iphone. But any commodity item like batteries is going to be a 'race to the bottom'.

I've no certainty that K2 is any more robust, but one can hope. UL labs is still a good operation.
Old February 4th 15, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 4:20:56 PM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 6:50:28 PM UTC-5, Dave Springford wrote:

The K2's are made in the USA, not Chinese knock-offs. K2 pays a fee to the patent holder while the knock-off's do not. K2 has also had their batteries UL certified and listed.

This wins my dollar. I'd be concerned that the internals of Starkpower would change from batch to batch. The blatant ripoff of 'Stark Industries' from the 'Ironman' franchise is a red flag.

I also don't buy baby formula that is made in China.

Of course I buy all sorts of non-critical well made components/products from China. And they do a good job on things like the Iphone. But any commodity item like batteries is going to be a 'race to the bottom'.

I've no certainty that K2 is any more robust, but one can hope. UL labs is still a good operation.

Check the K2 Web Site the K2s are made in Henderson, NV and China. I suspect the cells are made in China and packaged in Henderson.

Richard
Old February 4th 15, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

http://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?p=1991

No dog in this fight.

T8
Old February 4th 15, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

For Jim White:

Send me your email address and I will respond to your question.

Tom Knauff

LiFePO4 Batteries vontresc Soaring 56 June 27th 14 07:25 PM
Experience with StarkPower LIFEPo4 Batteries? Papa3[_2_] Soaring 15 May 7th 13 07:17 PM
LiFePO4 battery technolocy [email protected] Soaring 9 October 17th 12 10:05 PM
LiFePO4 batteries JS Soaring 26 October 15th 12 02:51 PM
LiFePO4 battery ASM Soaring 4 December 6th 11 08:00 PM