A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Overspeed Recovery question

Old February 12th 15, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Overspeed Recovery question

On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 6:58:58 PM UTC-8, wrote:
If you inadvertently fly into the yellow range and kiss the red range, and you get into the high speed vibration, what is the best way to slow before the wings depart the glider. My sense is to reach for the spoilers and slowly extend to slow. Any opinions on that matter?

Thanks all for your input. The senario as stated in my quest has happened to me several times whilst flying Condor - Glider flight Simulation software. I've been deploying spoilers to slow down but that I would ask this group in case it happens in a real glider. Your inputs, as I suspected, are well thought out and are convincing. My thoughts to control highspeed flight (overspeed flight) will be pitch.
Old February 12th 15, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 12:07:31 PM UTC+13, wrote:
If you inadvertently fly into the yellow range and kiss the red range, and you get into the high speed vibration, what is the best way to slow before the wings depart the glider. My sense is to reach for the spoilers and slowly extend to slow. Any opinions on that matter?

Thanks all for your input. The senario as stated in my quest has happened to me several times whilst flying Condor - Glider flight Simulation software. I've been deploying spoilers to slow down but that I would ask this group in case it happens in a real glider. Your inputs, as I suspected, are well thought out and are convincing. My thoughts to control highspeed flight (overspeed flight) will be pitch.

The flutter in condor is nasty, and happens at speeds well below where any real glider would probably experience flutter. The simulated glider also falls apart very very quickly!

Quickly pulling the nose up above the horizon is really the only sensible thing to do there.

Old February 12th 15, 03:10 AM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Oct 2011

I was always taught that if you exceed VNE and open the spoilers, they will push the airflow outwards and snap off the wing tips. Never tested the theory but I'm not sure I want to.
Old February 12th 15, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 6:49:09 PM UTC-7, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 12:07:31 PM UTC+13, wrote:

The flutter in condor is nasty, and happens at speeds well below where any real glider would probably experience flutter. The simulated glider also falls apart very very quickly!

Have a lot of experience at that?

Old February 12th 15, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Level the wings and pull. DO NOT OPEN spoilers! The spoilers will be sucked open and now you are creating more bending moments on the wing. Lowering gear usually requires switching hands on the stick, probably not a good idea. Also mindful actions can keep you from exceeding VNE. Other than non-approved aerobatics, and flight into IMC a common reason to get into a VNE exceed would be a spin that has turned into a "death spiral. Go get some training in a 2-32, those will easily go from spin to spiral.

Stay safe
Old February 12th 15, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Oh, a quick way to tell if a spin has turned into a spiral, when the rudder does not stop the spin.
Old February 12th 15, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 5:30:05 PM UTC-8, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 23:07 11 February 2015, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 6:58:58 PM UTC-8,
wro=
te:
If you inadvertently fly into the yellow range and kiss the red range,

an=
d you get into the high speed vibration, what is the best way to slow
befor=
e the wings depart the glider. My sense is to reach for the spoilers and
s=
lowly extend to slow. Any opinions on that matter?

Thanks all for your input. The senario as stated in my quest has

happened
=
to me several times whilst flying Condor - Glider flight Simulation
softwar=
e. I've been deploying spoilers to slow down but that I would ask this
gro=
up in case it happens in a real glider. Your inputs, as I suspected, are
w=
ell thought out and are convincing. My thoughts to control highspeed
fligh=
t (overspeed flight) will be pitch.

My reluctance to recommend the spoilers is mainly, but not only, for
aerodynamic reasons, a scaphoid fracture is extremely painful, which is
best avoided unless faced with a life or death situation. The very loud
bang as the airbrakes hit the stop is more than a bit scary as well.

I have extended the spoilers at over 100 knots IAS at 18,000 ft a few times (mainly to get out from under clouds) and I brace myself and wince with a death grip on the handle when I do it. Stuff is going to fly around and my head is probably going to hit the canopy. I sure wouldn't want to be doing that while the wings were fluttering.
Old February 12th 15, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

If you can get to Williams, California on March 7-8...we are having AcroFest.
AcroFest is an introduction to glider aerobatics for the average glider pilot and an opportunity to learn what it feels like to fly upside down and how to get back upright.
We can show you how to recover from an overspeed.
We can show you how to safely get your upside down glider right side up.
We can let you experience a spin in our Fox and how to recover.
We fly both Saturday and Sunday.
We have presentations and a BBQ on Saturday evening.
Go to: www.williamssoaring.com
We fly ASK-21s and a Fox.
Old February 12th 15, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 6:07:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Illustrating nicely the perils of self directed training in Condor. You did well to ask for the benefit of real world experience.

Evan Ludeman / T8