Corvair Conversion

Old October 26th 03, 01:07 AM
Peter Dohm

Morgans wrote:

"Barnyard BOb --" wrote in message

What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.

Barnyard BOb -- 130 miles to Mexico

"Morgans" wrote:

Hee, Hee, Hee

I did own a Corvair. It was a better car engine than an airplane engine.

I owned a Ford V-6 in 1997 - 1998 for 26,000 mi.

By your logic, that qualifies me to say the same about
the Ford V-6 to Bruce, Corky, Clare, et all.??????

BTW.....
In my full size truck, it was a POS by any measure.

Barnyard BOb -- never again

Trying for some humor again. Sometimes I miss.

Really, the Corvair engine I had ran great out till 140,000, until the Ohio
salt ate the unibody. It was then sold to a guy to put in a Corvair van,
and ran for many years after that.

All that it ever needed was O-ring seals put in the pushrod tubes once a
year. My dad got to the point that he could do them all in less than a
hour. He made a special tool for the job.

I do think that if "I" were going to go for that (Corvair) power level, I
would go the C-85 or 0-200, since the Corvair has none of the other auto
engine benefits, and all (or most) of the airplane engine negatives.

The other thing is, I can't stand the thought of stealing a Corvair's
engine. g
--
Jim in NC

When this thread began, I briefly thought about being the first responder, but
decided that I didn't know enough about the speed and power requirements of the
Zenith 601.

Basically, I am an auto engine bigot to the extent that I consider practical;
but the Corvair seems to be best as a direct drive system at 3200 to 3600 rpm
and is probably best in a design where a 90 to 100 horsepower engine cruises at
least 130 knots (150 mph).

I couldn't (quickly) find the specs on the Zenith, and don't remember then. But
it *looks* like it would fly a lot better with the C85 or O-200, or with one of
the geared engines such as a Rotax.

Better to leave a Corvair engine for an automobile restorer!

Peter
Old October 26th 03, 05:49 AM
Barnyard BOb --

I did own a Corvair. It was a better car engine than an airplane engine.

I owned a Ford V-6 in 1997 - 1998 for 26,000 mi.

By your logic, that qualifies me to say the same about
the Ford V-6 to Bruce, Corky, Clare, et all.??????

BTW.....
In my full size truck, it was a POS by any measure.

Barnyard BOb -- never again

Trying for some humor again. Sometimes I miss.

I do think that if "I" were going to go for that (Corvair) power level, I
would go the C-85 or 0-200, since the Corvair has none of the other auto
engine benefits, and all (or most) of the airplane engine negatives.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Damn, you just missed the 'good humor' wagon AGAIN.
FWIW - you are one very, very confused Corvair enthusiast. bfg

Barnyard BOb -- auto engine 'benefits', my arse

Old October 27th 03, 03:02 PM
Gig Giacona

"Barnyard BOb --" wrote in message

I'm building a Zenith 601XL and have started to consider a Corvair
conversion to power it. I'd like to hear some opinions on this

conversion.

Gig Giacona
www.peoamerica.net/N601WR

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.

Bob,

While I'm not surprised you were the first response to my post I am
surprised that it was a very civilized reply. Thanks. I have already spent
quite a bit of time at flycorvair.com I ordered the book last week.

The point of the message was to get info from folks that aren't selling the
plans.

Old October 27th 03, 04:18 PM
Barnyard BOb --

What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.

Bob,

While I'm not surprised you were the first response to my post I am
surprised that it was a very civilized reply. Thanks. I have already spent
quite a bit of time at flycorvair.com I ordered the book last week.

It may be difficult to believe, but....
I have as many 'surprises' as I do BS. g

The point of the message was to get info from folks that aren't selling the
plans.

I would not have mentioned William Wynn, if you had made
mentioned of him in your original post here. My past experience
with the man has been first rate. Yes, one should be cautious of
peddlers.. at least until one can size them up.

FWIW --
The only recent Corvair contact info I have lately is of a nut case
that is about to removed himself from the gene pool with a turbo
powered Corvair mated to an RV-9.

http://www.flycorvair.com/ explains quite nicely
why this is a HUGE 'no-no', but idiots will be idiots.

So far, Mr. Ding Dong has managed to bend the wings back
in a high speed taxi? accident and semi restored them to their
somewhat former beauty and looks via come-a-long and bondo.
A chunk of the prop is missing now, but not enough to deter
our unfazed friend from pressing forward with his agenda. He
destroyed his last gear driven prop reduction unit in 4 hours of
ground 'experimenting'. No telling how. Yep, this guy is something
else. I'd almost bet this flake will take his first flight without
benefit of airworthiness certificate and N number.

This particular auto conversion enthusiast/builder does hold
a PPL, but lord knows when he last flew. I'm told by his own
lips it was in a local Cherokee. The Cherokee in question was
destroyed two years ago by a couple of low time preachers in
search of God under IMC conditions using their VFR credentials.

Takes all kinds. Not all the nuts are confined to the Internet.

In conclusion --
Quality Corvair info doesn't exist on trees or bushes...
or here in RAH. You may have to search far and wide.
The best to you on your Corvair conversion journey.

Barnyard BOb -- the civil one g

Old October 27th 03, 06:20 PM
Eric Miller

"Barnyard BOb --" wrote
Yep, this guy is something
else. I'd almost bet this flake will take his first flight without
benefit of airworthiness certificate and N number.

Isn't there some loophole that says you're exempt from such paperwork if the
life expectancy of the plane and pilot is less than the time required to
complete the paperwork?

Eric

Old October 27th 03, 06:25 PM
Gig Giacona

Once again I thank you Bob for the information. Since you have experience
with Mr. Wynne and are a skeptic of auto conversions I would really
appreciate any info on your experiences with him. If you'd like you can
e-mail me off group if you desire. Just take the NOSPAM out of the e-mail
address.

Gig

Old October 27th 03, 09:20 PM
Barnyard BOb --

"Barnyard BOb --" wrote
Yep, this guy is something
else. I'd almost bet this flake will take his first flight without
benefit of airworthiness certificate and N number.

Isn't there some loophole that says you're exempt from such paperwork if the
life expectancy of the plane and pilot is less than the time required to
complete the paperwork?

Eric

That would be correct for the Private Sector.
With the FAA, the paperwork weight has to equal
that of the aircraft first. Pilot irrelevant. g

Barnyard BOb --
Old October 27th 03, 09:43 PM
Barnyard BOb --

Once again I thank you Bob for the information. Since you have experience
with Mr. Wynne and are a skeptic of auto conversions I would really
appreciate any info on your experiences with him. If you'd like you can
e-mail me off group if you desire. Just take the NOSPAM out of the e-mail
address.

Gig

Over the period of a couple years attending Ottawa Field of Dreams
Fly-Ins, I found it a treat to sit in on the seminars/presentations
given by both William Wynne and Bob Knuckolls of AeroElectric.
Both men were first rate, not only in my opinion, but those of many
others in attendance that had satisfactory business dealings with
them over the years.

You might want to peruse the following, but I have no idea
what's included in the various materials, but you could contact
Don Stewart for details.

http://www.siinc-sources.com/Dragonfly/dfvideo/

Barnyard BOb --