LK8000 v2.0 released today

Old January 18th 11, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default LK8000 v2.0 released today

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 13:55:42 -0800, tstock wrote:

I've heard of a few people using a 4AA battery box with a USB charging
plug on it to run these things for many hours. Have you tried this?

That will probably be the easiest solution for a rental glider in which
I will be flying all day. Just replace the AA's before the flight.

Its also worth looking at external USB battery packs. These are
rechargeable 5v packs for anything that can be powered or charged via a
USB connection. One of our instructors uses one to power a Binatone PNA
if he's giving xc instruction in one of the K-21s. Amazon sell a range of
these units with capacities of 3000 - 8000 mAh. Prices start at $US 40.

IIRC a Binatone PNA has an internal 800 mAh battery that should run it
for 3 hours, so a 3000 mAh external battery should extend that to over 14
hours.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 18th 11, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Jan 15, 8:03*am, "PCool" wrote:
I am pleased to announce that the opensource and free software LK8000 v.2..0 *was released today.
It is now translated into 14 languages.

paolo

ok, so I am looking for the installation instructions so I can stop
seeing the fatal error 001 code and start seeing the program. no links
for the manual, at least that I can find, and no description on how to
install other than read the manual..............so I am in a quandary.
of course, the info is probably right in front of me but I don't see
it.

help!

Brad
Old January 18th 11, 12:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 18:32:34 -0800, Brad wrote:

ok, so I am looking for the installation instructions so I can stop
seeing the fatal error 001 code and start seeing the program. no links
for the manual, at least that I can find, and no description on how to
install other than read the manual..............so I am in a quandary.
of course, the info is probably right in front of me but I don't see it.

Unzip it onto an empty SD card, copy your airspace, map (.LKM + .DEM) and
turnpoint files into the appropriate subdirectories. Add your polar file
if you use a one. Set up the launch system as you did for the previous
version: Binatone B.350s need a 'shell.ini' file in the root of the SD
card to tell WM 5 or 6 where to find LK8000. This should run OK.

*DON'T* copy over your old task and profile files because both file
formats have changed. The release notes mention that the task file format
has changed, but say nothing about the profiles. I initially copied mine
over and got a crash during start-up. I'd wondered if copying the
profiles was a good idea, so I restored the ones that were in the 2.0a
zip file and this time it 'just ran'.

The only snaggettes I've found a

- configuration: it defaults to metric units, so select the files on
page 1 and then go immediately to the Units page, select feet,
knots, etc. and then immediately exit config, shut down and restart.
If you don't restart at that point you'll find that its still
expecting safety heights, etc to be input in metric values.

- custom overlay colours: If, like me, you fly with terrain turned off
and a white background for maximum contrast, set 'Inverse b/w' ON and
'overlay colours' to WHITE, but leave 'Turnpoint labels' set to BLACK.

If you set the turnpoint labels to white as well, turnpoints marked as
Airfields will appear as white with a black border though the rest will
be plain black.

- finding the GPS device: my Binatone came up with both devices set to
COM1 and so LK8000 reported that no GPS was found until I manually set
the devices to COM7.

Another way is to unzip it into the C:\ drive, add files as described
above and then run up LK8000-PC.EXE in sim mode, configure this as you
like it and then copy the LK8000 directory and all its contents to a
blank SD card. This will leave everything (except possibly the GPS ports)
set correctly.

I like having the sim functions rolled into the main LK8000 program -
that was a good move.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 18th 11, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

Well this is really interesting, at least for me.
What's difficult in looking into www.lk8000.it and the download section?
See the download menu: maps, manual, software...
Manuals!

The fatal error is given because you have not installed the software
correctly, probably in the wrong directory.
But on the same fatal error screen, you can also clearly read what the
program is trying to access, the full path.
That's the place, of course.

So the question is: where have you been looking for manuals so far?

paolo

Old January 18th 11, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:35:25 +0000, PCool wrote:

Well this is really interesting, at least for me. What's difficult in
looking into www.lk8000.it and the download section? See the download
menu: maps, manual, software... Manuals!

Paolo,

Just to clarify: does the 1.22 manual, which is what I see on the manual
page, also apply to 2.0?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 18th 11, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

The latest available version is 1.22b manual, as written on the download
page.
The install procedure is the same. But even in doubts, when nothing else
better is available, why not looking into the available manual release 5
months ago?

Other gliding software have a manual obsoleted by years..

The web pages have now explanation about new 2.0 features, while I am
updating the 2.0 doc.

Old January 18th 11, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 18:17:14 +0000, PCool wrote:

The latest available version is 1.22b manual, as written on the download
page.
The install procedure is the same. But even in doubts, when nothing else
better is available, why not looking into the available manual release 5
months ago?

Other gliding software have a manual obsoleted by years..

The web pages have now explanation about new 2.0 features, while I am
updating the 2.0 doc.

That's good to know. Thanks.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 18th 11, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

"Brad" ha scritto nel ...
On Jan 15, 8:03 am, "PCool" wrote:

I am pleased to announce that the opensource and free software LK8000
v.2.0 was released today.
It is now translated into 14 languages.

paolo

ok, so I am looking for the installation instructions so I can stop
seeing the fatal error 001 code and start seeing the program. no links
for the manual, at least that I can find, and no description on how to
install other than read the manual..............so I am in a quandary.
of course, the info is probably right in front of me but I don't see
it.

help!

Brad

I got V 2.0 to run a second after I posted to RAS, I deleted the RAS
post, but it still was out there. I guess I didn't realize that the
manual for 1.22 also applies to 2.0.

In any case, V 2.0 is up and running on my PDA and PNA, looks great!

thanks,
Brad

iPAQ-310-LK8000-wind calculation Brad[_2_] Soaring 6 September 7th 10 11:05 PM
The LK8000 copyright issue is solved Max Kellermann Soaring 5 September 7th 10 06:50 PM
LK8000 questions Andy[_1_] Soaring 9 March 15th 10 11:10 AM
New LK8000 glide computer video PCool Soaring 6 October 12th 09 06:19 PM
T-37 PCATD released JD Simulators 0 October 6th 03 08:51 PM