A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Parowan Safari

Old July 11th 15, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Parowan Safari

On Saturday, July 11, 2015 at 1:24:01 AM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
I had the whole airport for myself at Parowan this week. Lots of OD earlier this week and than progressively better, with today being the best day with no OD.
I find it odd that Nephi is overbooked while Parowan is almost deserted. Soaring conditions and XC potential are very similar. John Templeton is now available full time to tow during each season (June-July) and is going to be available till the end of next week. So if you missed Nephi this year, it is not too late for Parowan. The forecast is looking great for next week. Give John a call if you plan to come.

Ramy

Thanks Ramy, exactly my sentiments. We had a total of 25 gliders at Parowan for the ASA camp, I was one of 5-6 pure gliders. Thorsten did his regular 3 flights 1000k and 1000 points on OLC during the 8 days he flew with us. We waited at most an hour or so for our tow (thanks Jon T.). On my flights this and last year I noticed that Parowan allows early starts and thermal activity close to sun-down. The one and only negative is the 04 take-off with the customary tail wind. But then, Jon will gladly tow you on 22 if you don't mind the taxi... Why 65 gliders preferred Nephi this year is a mystery.
Herb
Old July 11th 15, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt
external usenet poster

Default Parowan Safari

Why 65 gliders preferred Nephi this year is a mystery.
Herb

Hmmmm, let's see... 100' x 6300' runway @ Nephi vs. 75' x 5000' runway at Parowan. Taking off to the south at Parowan is uphill and has almost no options for a rope break (dangerous). Nothing at Parowan other than the taxiway.. Parallel grass runway at Nephi 100'+ and 7000 feet long.
Nephi flew 8 days straight. Parowan was shut down roughly 1/3 of those days because of storms.
Accommodations and food options are better at Nephi.
Good organization and logistics for non-motorgliders at Parowan.... so tows for 65 sailplanes. Tows at Parowan for 10ish?
Do I need to keep going?
Old July 11th 15, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt
external usenet poster

Default Parowan Safari

Oops... should read good organizatin and logistics for non-motorgliders at NEPHI...

Good organization and logistics for non-motorgliders at Parowan.... so tows for 65 sailplanes. Tows at Parowan for 10ish?
Do I need to keep going?