Other US crashes this season

Old July 12th 15, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Other US crashes this season

"David Kinsell" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 10:00:07 -0700, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:28:41 PM UTC-6, David Kinsell wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 20:02:30 -0700, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

From a quick survey of available NTSB synopses, it looks like the
statistics for the last five full years a

2014 total 26 fatal 3 (3 fatalities)
2013 total 23 fatal 3 (5 fatalities)
2012 total 33 fatal 6 (8 fatalities)
2011 total 27 fatal 9 (9 fatalities)
2010 total 34 fatal 6 (8 fatalities)

Right now we're about half way through 2015, and the count stands at:

2014 total 5 fatal 2 (2 fatalities)

Just running a search for glider accidents does indeed show 5, but
doesn't include the Ventus on June 23, the 2-32 on June 25, and the
1-26 in the last couple days. So not terrible, but seems like we could
do better.

Non-injury accidents of course are less of a concern, but the number of
underwriters willing to insure gliders is small, and could easily
shrink. Or they can continue to jack up the rates for everyone.

-Dave

Many insurance claims don't involve FAA/NTSB reporting, though most
in-motion accidents/incidents do and there is some pressure for this as
part of the claims process.

SSF would like inputs into their accident/incident database.
http://soaringsafety.org

Frank Whiteley

SSA is showing a recent stall/spin accident during rope break practice,
so that makes 9.

http://tinyurl.com/oh466sc

Looking at the SSF database, not much is getting entered there.

Our club nearly added to the statistics recently, 200 ft ropebreak
training with low performance glider, multiple fences to deal with, no
headwind, towplane went straight out and didn't keep glider within range
of airport. Fortunately both pilots knew they weren't going to clear
last fence and didn't try.

-Dave

SSF database is quite new, so getting the word out is part of the process.
There's an opportunity to add some data, even anonymously. Success of such
a project requires community participation.

The original media post was much more 'interesting', but it wasn't a
stall/spin, rather it hit some trees reporting during low-level rope break
practice.
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-n...ay-no-injuries

Frank Whiteley

Old July 13th 15, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell[_2_]

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 15:02:56 -0600, Frank Whiteley wrote:

"David Kinsell" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 10:00:07 -0700, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:28:41 PM UTC-6, David Kinsell wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 20:02:30 -0700, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

From a quick survey of available NTSB synopses, it looks like the
[...]

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-n...plane-crashes-

on-middlefield-township-highway-no-injuries

Frank Whiteley

There were two separate Cleveland area crashes recently, June 25 a 2-32
hit wires (which was in the news article you showed), then later some
other craft was destroyed during rope break practice. Cleveland Soaring
Society described it as a stall spin that the instructor was able to
recover from, but then hit trees on the landing roll.

So if we just stop flying gliders in Cleveland, we could cut the accident
rate by a quarter.

-Dave

(that was a joke)

Old July 14th 15, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 12:52:03 PM UTC-6, David Kinsell wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 15:02:56 -0600, Frank Whiteley wrote:

"David Kinsell" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 10:00:07 -0700, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:28:41 PM UTC-6, David Kinsell wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 20:02:30 -0700, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

From a quick survey of available NTSB synopses, it looks like the
[...]

From a quick survey of available NTSB synopses, it looks like the
[...]

Can't find the second one. A glider accident in the media appears to have been a hang glider or some other kind of ultralight.

Frank W
Old July 14th 15, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell[_2_]

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 16:47:02 -0700, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 12:52:03 PM UTC-6, David Kinsell wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 15:02:56 -0600, Frank Whiteley wrote:

"David Kinsell" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 10:00:07 -0700, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:28:41 PM UTC-6, David Kinsell wrote:

From a quick survey of available NTSB synopses, it looks like the

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-n.../glider-plane-

[...]

From a quick survey of available NTSB synopses, it looks like the
[...]

The second one was SSA FB page sharing the Cleveland Soaring Society FB
page (link above). Haven't seen it in the news media, or NTSB.

The Hobbs accident at the contest didn't seem to make the general media
either. And hardly mentioned here.

Now there's a 1-26 at Minden, July 8, showing up in the prelims.

Dave
Old July 14th 15, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

FAA Preliminaries, July 3, Pegasus, "...tow line snapped and glider crashed in field."

http://www.asias.faa.gov/pls/apex/f?...UL-15,CENTRAIR

Season in the sun Frank Paynter[_2_] Soaring 2 November 18th 11 11:10 PM
First Snowstorm Of The Season Jay Honeck Piloting 14 June 6th 11 02:28 AM
F/A-18D Hornet crashes crashes in San Diego suburb, two homesdestroyed, Two dead so far AirRaid[_2_] Naval Aviation 0 December 9th 08 01:06 AM
Season's Greetings RVB Aviation Photos 0 December 23rd 06 05:39 PM
Hunting Season EDR Piloting 29 November 9th 03 04:47 PM