Jet turbine reliability

Old June 1st 15, 11:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Pengelly

Default Jet turbine reliability

I'm considering ordering a JS1-C TJ with the jet turbine. A potential syndicate partner is concerned about the reliability of jet turbines from a 'will it start' point of view and a repair cost point of view. I imagine electric turbos are going to be more reliable because of the relative simplicity but you can't buy an electric JS1 or 29. Any comments on jet reliability?
Old June 1st 15, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Neave[_2_]

The JS1, especially the one you flew, is good enough that you'll probably
never find out if the jet is reliable or not.

KN

?

Old June 1st 15, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Pengelly

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 6:00:06 PM UTC+2, Kevin Neave wrote:
The JS1, especially the one you flew, is good enough that you'll probably
never find out if the jet is reliable or not.

KN

At 10:31 01 June 2015, Jim Pengelly wrote:
I'm considering ordering a JS1-C TJ with the jet turbine. A potential
synd=
icate partner is concerned about the reliability of jet turbines from a
'wi=
ll it start' point of view and a repair cost point of view. I imagine
elec=
tric turbos are going to be more reliable because of the relative
simplicit=
y but you can't buy an electric JS1 or 29. Any comments on jet
reliability=
?

Yeah - I would have had to try pretty hard to land out in that glider - it goes incredibly well.
Old June 1st 15, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I witnessed a jet-powered glider at the EAA event in Oshkosh.

My immediate thought was we could not allow them to fly at our gliderport.

The noise was beyond imagination. The neighbors simply would not tolerate the noise.

Tom Knauff

Old June 1st 15, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Pengelly

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 7:58:58 PM UTC+2, wrote:
I witnessed a jet-powered glider at the EAA event in Oshkosh.

My immediate thought was we could not allow them to fly at our gliderport.

The noise was beyond imagination. The neighbors simply would not tolerate the noise.

Tom Knauff

You make a fair point. JS1 is not a self launcher so in all probability the jet will only be used out over deserted farm land far from the home airfield.
Old June 1st 15, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 1:58:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I witnessed a jet-powered glider at the EAA event in Oshkosh.

My immediate thought was we could not allow them to fly at our gliderport..

The noise was beyond imagination. The neighbors simply would not tolerate the noise.

Tom Knauff

Mr. Knauff, I'm guessing you are referring to Bob "Airshow Bob" Carlton's Super Salto or BonusJet or SubSonex aircrafts which are all self launching and/or "show center" aircraft. You are correct that they are loud.

However, comparing one of Bob's aircraft to a JS-1 jet sustainer is an apples to oranges comparison. A sustainer jet has a totally different footprint and is not purposed to continually operate in the "cylinder" of a gliderport. Given a choice, your rural Ridge Soaring neighbors (or any other airport neighbors) would probably prefer the occasional passing "swoosh' of a sustainer jet as opposed to the frequent roar of your daily tow plane operation.
Old June 1st 15, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'll believe it when I hear it.
Tom
Old June 2nd 15, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Was given a JS1 engine start demo at Lake Keepit, it's pretty simple. Correction, very simple.
We were right next to it, in an open hangar and it wasn't deafening.
Also witnessed a powered JS1 low pass, quiet compared to a straight-pipe exhaust airplane. It is loud compared to a normal unpowered glider low pass.
While putting the glider away today, there were two (52 Lb thrust) turbine runs after overhaul at JetCat. Believe an air compressor is as loud at an equal distance, much louder if there's a die grinder involved.
Flown with Bob Carlton in the Bonus Jet. With the same (247 Lb thrust) TJ100 as used on the Salto it is quite a bit noisier than a JS1J (92 Lb thrust) but still not hideous when you consider it's a self-launcher that can out-climb most towplanes. Perhaps it's just odd to look at a glider and hear that sound.
Jim

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 12:37:12 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I'll believe it when I hear it.
Tom

Old June 2nd 15, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Surely jet engine cannot be more unreliable than Solo two-stroke that you need to dive to start. If it would, you would be lucky to start it even once.
Old June 2nd 15, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 7:34:47 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
Surely jet engine cannot be more unreliable than Solo two-stroke that you need to dive to start. If it would, you would be lucky to start it even once.

Solos don't need a dive to start. You can start them that way if your starter battery is dead but normally you never need to do this.

Anyways, Jim, I think once you get used to starting a turbine you'll find its very reliable. But, it can fail to start.. things like a failed thermocouple is all it takes for the start sequence to halt. Also too much air in the line can do it if the lines weren't purged properly... clogged line filters can create a low rpm fail start. Otherwise, properly maintainted they work great with a well charged starter/ignition battery.