2015 Nephi OLC/XC Final Report

Old July 8th 15, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
howard banks

Default 2015 Nephi OLC/XC Final Report

1. Everything the other guys said -- even Mike the Strike.
2. I forgot the beer. Grovelling apologies. Sorry Pardon.
HL

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 10:12:35 AM UTC-6, wrote:
We made it! What an incredible 8 days of flying we all had. The weather cooperated and gave us many chances to go for personal bests and explore the beautiful areas Nephi has to offer. Here are a few quick flight stats:

300 flights uploaded to OLC, many more were flown but not uploaded to OLC
3 flights over 1000km!
18 flights over 750km!
89 flights over 500km!!!

Total OLC distance flown = 127,673km (79,343 miles) That is 3+ times around the earth! Also add dozens of personal best flights achieved and first task flights flown

We want to thank all the pilots who came out and participated at our camp this year. You all had fantastic attitudes, flew safe, and worked well together both on the ground and in the air. We would also like to thank the many volunteers who came and spent their time and energies to make this both happen and turn out so well. I would say this was by far our best event we have done at Nephi to date.

Our new staging and gridding system was a big success. We worked hard to formalize a gridding system this year that would work for everyone and we thank the pilots for their efforts in trying this new system. It allowed for the guy who wanted to go long to leave early, but not make the people in the back wait out in the sun for hours. It also took stress off the pilots from having to rush to the grid to get a spot. We listened to your suggestions and comments from last year. Thanks!

We only had a few landouts all week long. On one, our friend Charlie Ryan was seriously injured during a wind storm while he was helping to put a glider into the trailer in a farmer's field. He is on the long road to recovery back home and he was in our thoughts all week. Get well Charlie and come back to Nephi and fly with us again soon!

Next year, Nephi will be hosting the 15 meter, Open, and Standard Class Nationals starting June 21, 2016. Registration is already open and filling up. We are very excited and honored to be hosting these pilots and events next year. We hope you will join us!

Please note that our plans going forward are to host a nationals (or maybe large regionals) one year and then do an OLC camp the next year going forward. We think this every other year alternating of event types will help keep Nephi available for all types of pilots with different flying and racing goals.

To see pictures of the event, please visit our facebook page: https://www..facebook.com/2015NephiCamp

Again, thanks to both the pilots and all the volunteers who worked so hard to make this happen! See you next year.

Bruno - B4

Old July 8th 15, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Wednesday, 8 July 2015 13:57:31 UTC-6, howard banks wrote:
[...]

Preliminary
FAI Class Day 1

Task: Turn Area
ID Name Distance (Miles) Radius
2 W Start 0.00 5.0
63 Delano Peak 92.94 30.0
47 Mount Baldy 162.69 20.0
3 FINISH 207.08 2.0

Minimum Time 02:30

Cumulative Day Remarks
Rank Points ID Name Glider Rank Points Speed Distance Code Penalty Points
1 1000 BB Cochrane, John ASG-29-18 1 1000 100.14 250.21 MT
2 964 9B Blackburn, Andy ASW-27 2 964 96.58 240.57 MT
3 949 TT Taylor, Timothy Ventus 2a 3 949 95.07 243.15

Codes:
MT Flight time less than minimum time.
F No flight log.