FJ-1

Old July 6th 15, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default FJ-1

To not detract too much from the fun of free distance Kowbell thread, the FJ-1 is the Fred Jiran Model 1.

Built from the wreckage of H-301 serial 33 and some unknown to me H-201. H-301 Serial 33, original holder of N366W was crashed in 1971.

http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.av...no=1&pgsize=50

At the time, there was work in progress for allowing 90 degree flaps in Standard Class. Fred decided to build a "proof of concept" plane, so he, along with Alan Bikle and Pat Philbrick, assembled the FJ-1 from the wreckage of H-301 N366W and the cockpit and canopy, etc from a 201.

The wings were repaired, dive brakes removed, and a new set of flaps were built that could be extended 90 degrees. The 201 cockpit (actually, fuselage back through about the aft lift pins) was grafted onto the 301 tailboom. You can tell it is a 201 canopy frame, as there is a significant amount of foam seal between the top of the wing and the bottom of the canopy frame. Likewise, there is considerable buildup of fairing between the fuselage on the bottom of the wing. There are MANY other little changes along the way that have been made, like making the fuselage longer, larger chord elevators, removal (dang it!) of the drag chute, etc.

Anyway, the plane was completed and flown a bit just prior to the Nationals at Marfa in 1972. Pat and Alan flew the plane about 150 hours in 1972, and sold it at the end of the season. It has been through a couple of more owners, and had another accident before it came to me.

I am working up a photo history of the plane. It is a work in progress right now, but here is what I have uploaded thus far.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115961928359530256891/FJ1

The plane has about 1000 hours total time, and is a delight to fly. Quite a change in responsiveness from the Nimbus 3 I also fly!

Steve Leonard
Old July 7th 15, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 11:31:31 AM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
[...]

Sweet! Thanks for the post. I'll have to look closer next time I see it.
Old July 8th 15, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I met Fred Jiran around 1966 when he made the rounds of U.S. owners modifying the early Diamants for Swiss manufacturer FFA. Among the details he fixed for my father's 15M HBV was the actuator horn on the elevator. After we put the big horizontal tail on the first time, we couldn't remove it. It wouldn't come off for weeks. Made for interesting trailering on a converted open 1-26 trailer with the tail hiked up in the air. With instructions from the factory, we were finally able to use a piece of string held by one person to pull the actuator aft while a second person gently wiggled the stab just so until it released. But Fred ground off a bit of metal and eliminated the need for the string. I don't know what else had to be done but in retrospect, it was a great idea to dispatch an expert repair person around the country (world) to make needed mods. I heard Fred decided to stay and saw that he eventually set up shop out West.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.

Old July 8th 15, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Fred is still alive, well, and living in Houston, Texas. He has a big personal project that has been underway for many years, and some other substantial paying projects currently underway. You can see more at his website: www.codevco.ws

Steve
Old July 8th 15, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 12:31:52 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
Fred is still alive, well, and living in Houston, Texas. He has a big personal project that has been underway for many years, and some other substantial paying projects currently underway. You can see more at his website: www.codevco.ws

Steve

Thanks for this link as well as the information above. I've already "wasted" quite some time on the website. Fascinating stuff!

P3
Old July 8th 15, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Nice article about him in last months Soaring too.
Old July 8th 15, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Thanks for this link as well as the information above. I've already "wasted" quite some time on the website. Fascinating stuff!

P3

Yeppers, I've just "wasted" (in a good way....) quite some time as well. Interesting info to be read. ;-)
Old July 8th 15, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 12:42:50 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Thanks for this link as well as the information above. I've already "wasted" quite some time on the website. Fascinating stuff!

P3

Yeppers, I've just "wasted" (in a good way....) quite some time as well. Interesting info to be read. ;-)

Glad I can help boost productivity with the NYSE shut down for a bit. :-)

Steve

Old July 8th 15, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 3:43:50 PM UTC-4, howard banks wrote:
Careful with the confessions Steve, the NYSE was shut down today for several hours. They said it was a computer problem -- they didn't mention your name (yet) but maybe they will find it was you causing too many people to waste time overloading their servers-- it will become known as the FJ-1 disaster ....

ROTFLMAO...., "It's Steve's fault!......"......