A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Gel coat removal - is this okay?!?

Old July 10th 15, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

Default Gel coat removal - is this okay?!?

Erik,

I could see a plane that integrates an ultra sound unit to ensure saftey and avoid cutting into the fiber layer.

As expensive and miserable as grinding the gel coat off an advanced system would be valuable to the soaring community. After watching the gelplane work on boats we should be able to makes something that is better for gliders.
Old July 10th 15, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 4:32:26 PM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:
Yes, I miss Jim and his inventive ways. I have always thought we should be able to build a gelplane for gliders. Very fine adjustments to allow leaving a thin layer of gel coat but remove the bulk of the material before using the sanders.

it would be easier that way! the problem with a "plane" is that the gelcoat/paint thickness is not uniform for several reasons. if you try and take a set thickness off, in some places you'll go through and get into the structure.
Old July 10th 15, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:39:25 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
Tim, I looked at a gelplane in action at a boat repair facility "down the shore" a couple of years ago. On the face of it, it's an attractive option. However, I think the challenge is that in my experience, the gelcoat thickness on a glider wing varies considerably. I'm sure you've noticed places where you can almost see the glass or carbon cloth through the gelcoat and others where it's completely opaque. I don't know how you'd avoid lopping off some of the outer layer of skins. I have heard that one or two shops in Europe have some experience with them, so maybe there's something to it?

P3

right you are!
Old July 10th 15, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Waldo
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 6:54:38 AM UTC-4, Kevin Christner wrote:
Never seen gel coat removed via pneumatic razor blade. Looking at the surface it would appear this has taken off the veil cloth with the gel coat. Any experts care to comment as to the validity of this method / post operating room safety / airworthiness?

2C

I actually used the process with some success on my horizontal Stab on my Peg. I got 80% off using the pneumatic razor blade method. My Gel coat was pretty bad and was flaking off easily. The picture below in the link is after a couple of hours with the tool. Note all the chips that came off. I had to sand the edges as they where bonded to the fiberglass much better and would not chip off. As others have said, lots of pin holes to fill in afterwards. No damage to the Fiberglass under the gel-coat using the tool CAREFULLY. Looks great after Hank did his magic with a spray gun...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...XdqYnlzTFNxRFk

Chuck
(Hope the Link works)