Other US crashes this season

Old July 10th 15, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell[_2_]

Default Other US crashes this season

In addition to the 1-26 crash, its big brother went in near Cleveland in
June, with no serious injuries:

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-n...ne-crashes-on-
middlefield-township-highway-no-injuries

Seems like more than usual crashes this season? Ventus 2 C went in
during the big contest at Hobbs, there were fatals out of Moriarty and
off a winch launch in Arizona. Doesn't seem to be any common theme to
these, at least the the information that's available currently.
Old July 10th 15, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell[_2_]

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-n...plane-crashes-

Easier URL to deal with: http://tinyurl.com/obs7feu
Old July 10th 15, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 9:36:50 PM UTC-4, David Kinsell wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 01:26:23 +0000, David Kinsell wrote:

In addition to the 1-26 crash, its big brother went in near Cleveland in
June, with no serious injuries:

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-n...plane-crashes-

on-
middlefield-township-highway-no-injuries

Seems like more than usual crashes this season? Ventus 2 C went in
during the big contest at Hobbs, there were fatals out of Moriarty and
off a winch launch in Arizona. Doesn't seem to be any common theme to
these, at least the the information that's available currently.

Easier URL to deal with: http://tinyurl.com/obs7feu

"Glider pilot & passenger"...... 2-32 I guess.
Old July 10th 15, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

From a quick survey of available NTSB synopses, it looks like the statistics for the last five full years a

2014 total 26 fatal 3 (3 fatalities)
2013 total 23 fatal 3 (5 fatalities)
2012 total 33 fatal 6 (8 fatalities)
2011 total 27 fatal 9 (9 fatalities)
2010 total 34 fatal 6 (8 fatalities)

Right now we're about half way through 2015, and the count stands at:

2014 total 5 fatal 2 (2 fatalities)

Of course, no crashes are good, but overall it doesn't look like 2015 is on track to be particularly out of the ordinary.

One thing I'll add is that I am not particularly distressed by non-injury accidents. It's all just machinery, and there's not much to it that a couple of people can't make or remake in a two-car garage. What really tears me up are the accidents where someone gets injured or killed because they were trying to save the aircraft and ended up maneuvering outside their margins.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old July 10th 15, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell[_2_]

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 20:02:30 -0700, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

From a quick survey of available NTSB synopses, it looks like the
statistics for the last five full years a

2014 total 26 fatal 3 (3 fatalities)
2013 total 23 fatal 3 (5 fatalities)
2012 total 33 fatal 6 (8 fatalities)
2011 total 27 fatal 9 (9 fatalities)
2010 total 34 fatal 6 (8 fatalities)

Right now we're about half way through 2015, and the count stands at:

2014 total 5 fatal 2 (2 fatalities)

Just running a search for glider accidents does indeed show 5, but
doesn't include the Ventus on June 23, the 2-32 on June 25, and the 1-26
in the last couple days. So not terrible, but seems like we could do
better.

Non-injury accidents of course are less of a concern, but the number of
underwriters willing to insure gliders is small, and could easily
shrink. Or they can continue to jack up the rates for everyone.

-Dave
Old July 10th 15, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

For a very revealing, 11 year review of 326 recent glider accidents along with important commentary, and suggestions, please consider "Glider Accident Reports".

Great material for safety meetings.

125 pages - only $9.95 at www.eglider.org

Tom Knauff
Old July 10th 15, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:28:41 PM UTC-6, David Kinsell wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 20:02:30 -0700, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

From a quick survey of available NTSB synopses, it looks like the
statistics for the last five full years a

2014 total 26 fatal 3 (3 fatalities)
2013 total 23 fatal 3 (5 fatalities)
2012 total 33 fatal 6 (8 fatalities)
2011 total 27 fatal 9 (9 fatalities)
2010 total 34 fatal 6 (8 fatalities)

Right now we're about half way through 2015, and the count stands at:

2014 total 5 fatal 2 (2 fatalities)

Just running a search for glider accidents does indeed show 5, but
doesn't include the Ventus on June 23, the 2-32 on June 25, and the 1-26
in the last couple days. So not terrible, but seems like we could do
better.

Non-injury accidents of course are less of a concern, but the number of
underwriters willing to insure gliders is small, and could easily
shrink. Or they can continue to jack up the rates for everyone.

-Dave

Many insurance claims don't involve FAA/NTSB reporting, though most in-motion accidents/incidents do and there is some pressure for this as part of the claims process.

SSF would like inputs into their accident/incident database. http://soaringsafety.org

Frank Whiteley

Old July 10th 15, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
M North

What a shame. I wonder how many 2-32s are left. I hope someone fixes that one.
Old July 11th 15, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 6:27:51 PM UTC-7, David Kinsell wrote:
In addition to the 1-26 crash, its big brother went in near Cleveland in
June, with no serious injuries:

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-n...ne-crashes-on-
middlefield-township-highway-no-injuries

Seems like more than usual crashes this season? Ventus 2 C went in
during the big contest at Hobbs, there were fatals out of Moriarty and
off a winch launch in Arizona. Doesn't seem to be any common theme to
these, at least the the information that's available currently.

Sorry to say there's not much of a pattern - or one that's out of the ordinary. Stall/spin on approach or near terrain tend to be the big ones. We've made some progress dealing with midairs and with auto-connecting controls assembly/configuration errors should go down over time as the fleet turns over. I'm optimistic that improving technology might provide some hope in warning pilots about low-level slow and (perhaps) uncoordinated, but it will take some time.

9B
Old July 12th 15, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell[_2_]

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 10:00:07 -0700, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:28:41 PM UTC-6, David Kinsell wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 20:02:30 -0700, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

From a quick survey of available NTSB synopses, it looks like the
[...]

SSA is showing a recent stall/spin accident during rope break practice,
so that makes 9.

http://tinyurl.com/oh466sc

Looking at the SSF database, not much is getting entered there.

Our club nearly added to the statistics recently, 200 ft ropebreak
training with low performance glider, multiple fences to deal with, no
headwind, towplane went straight out and didn't keep glider within range
of airport. Fortunately both pilots knew they weren't going to clear
last fence and didn't try.

-Dave

Season in the sun Frank Paynter[_2_] Soaring 2 November 18th 11 11:10 PM
First Snowstorm Of The Season Jay Honeck Piloting 14 June 6th 11 02:28 AM
F/A-18D Hornet crashes crashes in San Diego suburb, two homesdestroyed, Two dead so far AirRaid[_2_] Naval Aviation 0 December 9th 08 01:06 AM
Season's Greetings RVB Aviation Photos 0 December 23rd 06 05:39 PM
Hunting Season EDR Piloting 29 November 9th 03 04:47 PM