Beginner, Parachutes?

Old November 27th 08, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfer!

Default Beginner, Parachutes?

In message
,
Frank Whiteley writes
On Nov 26, 1:41*pm, Surfer! wrote:
In message
, Andy
writes

On Nov 26, 6:54*am, Andreas Maurer wrote:
one at 400 ft (non-connected elavator during winch launch).

Wow, that's impressive! *Was the glider in an uncontrolled climb when
the bale out was initiated or had the cable broken?

I heard a story about a guy with an ASW19 who realised the elevator
wasn't connected when winch launching, and what I think I heard was that
he waited until it reached the top of the climb and jumped,
successfully. *The other part of the story was that he had rigged the
glider and correctly connected the tailplane and someone else took it
off for some reason and refitted it without connecting it, and that the
miscreant went on to be an AAIB investigator..

Dunno how much of this (if any) is true though!

--
Surfer!
Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net

An RAF member did this in an ASW-20 and landed safey off airport in a
field using trim and flaps.

How could trim make any difference if the elevator was disconnected?

Old November 27th 08, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 27 Nov, 06:58, Surfer! wrote:
In message
,
Frank Whiteley writes

An RAF member did this in an ASW-20 and landed safey off airport in a
field using trim and flaps.

How could trim make any difference if the elevator was disconnected?

It works - in theory - if you have a trim tab. I presume that the
ASW-20 does not, though.

Ian
Old November 27th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 10:14:17 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

On Nov 26, 6:54*am, Andreas Maurer wrote:
one at 400 ft (non-connected elavator during winch launch).

Wow, that's impressive! Was the glider in an uncontrolled climb when
the bale out was initiated or had the cable broken?

I can only quote the reply to your posting:

--- snip ---
I heard a story about a guy with an ASW19 who realised the elevator
wasn't connected when winch launching, and what I think I heard was
that
he waited until it reached the top of the climb and jumped,
successfully.
--- snip ---

You only need to replace the term "guy" with "girl".

Bye
Andreas
Old November 27th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 06:58:45 +0000, Surfer! wrote:

How could trim make any difference if the elevator was disconnected?

He used a combination of flaps and airbrakes to trim the 20.

Bye
Andreas
Old November 27th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfer!

In message
, Ian
writes
On 27 Nov, 06:58, Surfer! wrote:
In message
,
Frank Whiteley writes

An RAF member did this in an ASW-20 and landed safey off airport in a
field using trim and flaps.

How could trim make any difference if the elevator was disconnected?

It works - in theory - if you have a trim tab. I presume that the
ASW-20 does not, though.

It doesn't sound like the sort of theory I want to try in practise.
Thankfully my glider's elevator is self-connecting.

Old November 27th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfer!

In message , Andreas Maurer
writes
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 06:58:45 +0000, Surfer! wrote:

How could trim make any difference if the elevator was disconnected?

He used a combination of flaps and airbrakes to trim the 20.

Now I can sort of see how that could happen. But I wouldn't like to try
it out!

Old November 27th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_4_]

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 00:32:05 -0800, Ian wrote:

On 27 Nov, 06:58, Surfer! wrote:
In message
,
Frank Whiteley writes

An RAF member did this in an ASW-20 and landed safey off airport in a
field using trim and flaps.

How could trim make any difference if the elevator was disconnected?

It works - in theory - if you have a trim tab. I presume that the ASW-20
does not, though.

That's right. An ASW-20 doesn't have trim tabs. However, the flaps do act
as a form of trim, because by changing the effective wing incidence
relative to fuselage datum you're changing the decalage, and hence the
trim.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 27th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Nov 27, 10:54*am, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 00:32:05 -0800, Ian wrote:
On 27 Nov, 06:58, Surfer! wrote:
In message
,
Frank Whiteley writes

An RAF member did this in an ASW-20 and landed safey off airport in a
field using trim and flaps.

How could trim make any difference if the elevator was disconnected?

It works - in theory - if you have a trim tab. I presume that the ASW-20
does not, though.

That's right. An ASW-20 doesn't have trim tabs. However, the flaps do act
as a form of trim, because by changing the effective wing incidence
relative to fuselage datum you're changing the decalage, and hence the
trim.

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org * * * |

you're right, it was flaps and airbrakes

He got one of those awards for saving an aircraft.

He also didn't presume to try turning but took a field off airport.

Frank
Old November 27th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Andy wrote:
On Nov 26, 6:54 am, Andreas Maurer wrote:
one at 400 ft (non-connected elavator during winch launch).

Wow, that's impressive! Was the glider in an uncontrolled climb when
the bale out was initiated or had the cable broken?

I've read one such incident report, dunno whether it was the same
incident. Point is, most gliders climb just fine on the winch on their
own. Maybe not perfectly, but fine. The pilot waited until the whinch
launch had finished and then bailed out from more or less horizontal
flight. Bottom line is: yes, you can bail out successfully from winch
launch height.

Beginner 4CH Electric RC Helicopter - Easy to fly NYPT Man Home Built 0 October 16th 05 08:31 AM
Beginner 4CH Electric RC Helicopter NYPT Man Rotorcraft 0 October 9th 05 06:43 PM
Another beginner Q Ramapriya Piloting 9 December 31st 04 05:19 PM
suggestion for beginner sunbearpcs Owning 5 January 21st 04 04:35 PM
ASW 24 WL for beginner ? Harry Soaring 37 July 26th 03 02:02 PM