Cold weather starting.

Old December 20th 05, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Cold weather starting.

Jay Honeck wrote:
On cold days my Colorado hangar is 10-15 degrees F warmer than outside.
It helps, but right now its 10 degrees outside (9 am). One of our
coldest days. It only gets this way a few days a winter.

The amazing thing is....it's still "fall"!

We're currently living through the coldest December on record, here in Iowa.

Meterological winter starts December 1. It's WINTER!

Margy
Old December 20th 05, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Sigh...

I am up here on the east coast of Canada, (the cold snowy north to
some of you)

We have about 2 inches of snow, and it just came & stayed last week..

Only one skiill partially open (they have snow making
equipment), have not heard a snowmobile yet, no skating (outdoor)
rinks yet. Still flying with wheel gear on the small grass strips..
less than a week to Christmas.. nothing in the long range except some
flurries...

Dave

oOn Mon, 19 Dec 2005 15:40:33 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:
Jay, you just don't have the right definition of winter. Winter starts
when the first snow falls and ends when the last snow melts. Anyone in
snow country knows that! :-)

I know, but it's been a LONG time since we've seen anything like this.
Below zero, day after day -- in early December?

Two years ago, we still landing on grass strips until New Year's Day...
Last year the kids were bummed because we didn't have a White Christmas.

This year? We've got snow piles almost two stories tall at the Inn!

Yes, much the same here in PA, but I think less snow than you have. We
have about 8" on the ground at present. It has been quite cold though.
I record the temps every morning into a spreadsheet and we have been
below zero several times already with the lowest I've seen being -12.1
on 12/14.

Just a few years ago, 1999 to be exact, I bought the land that my house
now sits on. I needed a soil analysis and perc test for the septic
system and when I called in early November, they couldn't get me
scheduled until 12/10. They told me it was almost a certainty that I'd
have to wait until spring as they can't perc after the temp first drops
below freezing. Turns out, the lowest temp prior to 12/10 that year was
38! and, as I recall, it didn't drop below freezing until right around
Christmas.

This is closer to the winters I remember as a kid growing up in this
area in the 60s and 70s. We almost always had snow before Thanks giving
and deer season (the first Monday after Thanksgiving), and it stayed on
the ground until late March or early April. The year I graduated, 1977,
we had 2" of snow in early June! It melted by 10AM, but it was snow
nonetheless.

Matt

Old December 20th 05, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Could be worse... you could have ....

http://www.railroad.net/articles/col...ster/index.php

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old December 20th 05, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The amazing thing is....it's still "fall"!

We're currently living through the coldest December on record, here in
Iowa.

Meterological winter starts December 1. It's WINTER!

Oh, I know.

But around here, over the past few years (well, other than that winter you
guys drove through, and it was -10 degrees!), December has been anything but
"winter"...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 20th 05, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Could be worse... you could have ....

http://www.railroad.net/articles/col...ster/index.php

Okay, so, maybe a Lycoming ain't so bad...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 20th 05, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I am up here on the east coast of Canada, (the cold snowy north to
some of you)

We have about 2 inches of snow, and it just came & stayed last week..

So, YOU'RE to blame, eh? We've got all of your snow!

You can come pick it up, anytime.

(Yesterday was the first day in December that I didn't have to shovel
SOMETHING -- and I probably should have. The 3rd floor balconies are
drifting over again...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 21st 05, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

December has been anything but "winter"...

Here in central PA, if I heard correctly, our December temps have
averaged seven degrees below the norms. Nothing like an Ioway winter,
but purty chilly.

vince norris
Old December 21st 05, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Guilty...I guess..

Seriously, only -1C today, we walking around downtown here in street
shoes,

Not to wory, our turn will come.. never fails..
We (any of us) can get lucky, but only for so long..

Snow due Monday on the long range... 'cording to the weather
guessers.

Dave