28 years, 9000 hours

Old February 28th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default 28 years, 9000 hours

http://www.flyingmag.com/article.asp...article_id=884

Sad to see it go, but, wow, talk about getting good use out of an airplane.

I can't imagine just parking my plane at a salvage yard and walking away....
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 28th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 28, 12:50*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
http://www.flyingmag.com/article.asp...article_id=884

Sad to see it go, but, wow, talk about getting good use out of an airplane..

I can't imagine just parking my plane at a salvage yard and walking away.....

I don't always read his articles (I can't say he's my favorite author)
so I'm not sure what he means about his decreased dutes at Flying. Is
he semi retiring?

-Robert
Old February 28th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip

On 28 Feb, 20:50, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
http://www.flyingmag.com/article.asp...article_id=884

Sad to see it go, but, wow, talk about getting good use out of an airplane.

I can't imagine just parking my plane at a salvage yard and walking away

I doubt you'll be walking.

Bertie
Old February 29th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kobra

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
http://www.flyingmag.com/article.asp...article_id=884

Sad to see it go, but, wow, talk about getting good use out of an
airplane.

I can't imagine just parking my plane at a salvage yard and walking
away....

I read this article in the magazine and had my jaw on the ground the whole
time. I would have thought that Dick would have opted for partnering with
someone in 40RC and fixing it up (if practical) or buying another airplane
with a partner(s).

In reality let's face it. As we age we can't fly as much for health
reasons, vision-loss reasons, hearing-loss reasons, our hand-eye
coordination goes, our reflexes get slower, etc.

As we all head toward retirement or semi-retirement we will not make as much
money and that is a fact. Probably most of us are on a thin line with our
budgets due to our flying.

Further, I think he also just really liked the 182 with the G1000 cockpit
and buying one solo was out of the question financially. Even with a
partner it would be a tough nut to crack. He is getting older and probably
doesn't fly as much or in as harsh weather conditions as he did 10 or 20
years ago so the utility of flying for him is down.

Sad to say renting for him probably makes the most sense and even more sad
to say it will most likely be the best decision for me too when I get to Mr.
Collin's TT.

Kobra

Old February 29th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Edward A. Falk

My old Mooney has about that many hours on it. It's on its fifth engine,
fourth paint job and third windshield. I couldn't say how many panel
upgrades it's seen.

I see no reason to stop now. But then, it's built like a tank.

OK, I just finished the article. Turns out that the model has a very
poor safety record and nobody will insure it. Therefore, no buyers.

So sad.

--
-Ed Falk,
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/
Old February 29th 08, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Well, we all find reasons to justify our actions... His airframe end-
of-life reasons are just hot air, but seem 'real' to him...
I think that at 73 his desire to fly has lessened...
He will not be working so his income has dropped sharply...
Gas is four and half bucks a gallon at the cheap airports..
And the insurance for a P210 is expensive beyond reason...
Collins already admits no one will buy his plane...
A local orthopedic surgeon is trying to sell his P210 and has not had
a single offer on it (the plane is absolutely flawless)..

I am just a few years younger than Collins... Fat Albert The Apache is
a 1957 vintage... I am thinking about retiring in a couple of years
and in looking at the money it takes to keep even an old junker like
him around, he will have to go when the time comes... I am in the
throes of another big thrash of an annual, probably around ten grand,
on top of a twelve grand thrash a couple of years ago... And as I
write the checks I think the money probably should have gone to my
broker instead of out the door... But, being addicted to having an
airplane in the hangar he will stay around for now... I am
unreasonably fond of the old heap; probably early senility affecting
my judgement......
When he does go, some one will steal a really tired looking apache
that just happens to be mechanically ready to go anywhere in the world
- if there is anyone left who can afford an airplane by then...

denny
Old February 29th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon[_5_]

"Denny" wrote in message

When he does go, some one will steal a really tired looking apache
that just happens to be mechanically ready to go anywhere in the world
- if there is anyone left who can afford an airplane by then...

I know a few guys at my airfield that have given up their airplanes for
similar reasons. My question is why don't they opt to get a cheaper
alternative like an Archer, Warrior, or C172? Sure it will get you there 15
or 30 minutes later on a normal trip but you have an airplane and retain all
the joys of ownership. As I stated on another post, heck, with one or two
partners, owning a 4-seater can easily be cheaper than renting.

I know it's hard to "downgrade" from a sexy, 150 kt retract, but I'd feel
downright naked without an airplane to call my own.

Any of you guys out there ever "downgrade?" If so, how was it?

Marco

Old February 29th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 29, 7:46*am, "Marco Leon" wrote:
"Denny" wrote in message

When he does go, some one will steal a really tired looking apache
that just happens to be mechanically ready to go anywhere in the world
- if there is anyone left who can afford an airplane by then...

I know a few guys at my airfield that have given up their airplanes for
similar reasons. My question is why don't they opt to get a cheaper
alternative like an Archer, Warrior, or C172? Sure it will get you there 15
or 30 minutes later on a normal trip but you have an airplane and retain all
the joys of ownership.

Unless Dick's missions changes a lot (and it may) a C-172 or Warrior
wouldn't be able to do the trips he does. He's used to flying across
the country in the turbo altitudes with FAA approved known ice. A
C-172 isn't a reliable year-around cross country (literally) machine.
Flying 1000 miles in the P-210 is routine. Flying 1000 miles in a
C-172 is an adventure.

-Robert
Old February 29th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon[_5_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message

Unless Dick's missions changes a lot (and it may) a C-172 or Warrior
wouldn't be able to do the trips he does. He's used to flying across
the country in the turbo altitudes with FAA approved known ice. A
C-172 isn't a reliable year-around cross country (literally) machine.
Flying 1000 miles in the P-210 is routine. Flying 1000 miles in a
C-172 is an adventure.

Yeah, I figured that if Riahard Collins' mission changes, it would be less
hours of the same type of flying so he'll need a more capable machine. I was
commenting on owner/pilots in general that don't fly as much but are still
spending 15 AMUs a year keeping their bird in the air.

Marco

Old February 29th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

On Feb 29, 12:05*pm, "Marco Leon"
wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ...

Unless Dick's missions changes a lot (and it may) a C-172 or Warrior
wouldn't be able to do the trips he does. He's used to flying across
the country in the turbo altitudes with FAA approved known ice. A
C-172 isn't a reliable year-around cross country (literally) machine.
Flying 1000 miles in the P-210 is routine. Flying 1000 miles in a
C-172 is an adventure.

Yeah, I figured that if Riahard Collins' mission changes, it would be less
hours of the same type of flying so he'll need a more capable machine. I was
commenting on owner/pilots in general that don't fly as much but are still
spending 15 AMUs a year keeping their bird in the air.

Marco

AMUs. Accumulated Marriage Units? Does that equal about $1,000?

Phil