iPAQ repair

Old March 21st 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default iPAQ repair

I know this a way off topic, but I have a 4705 that won't boot any
more. Battery is fully charged, I've tried to 'hard reset' it, but it
gets to the initial splash screen and stops. Does anyone repair these
things? I'll use my 2495 if I can't get the 4705 fixed, but the 4705
display IS easier to read.

TIA
Jim
Old March 21st 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

On Mar 21, 1:47*pm, wrote:
I know this a way off topic, but I have a 4705 that won't boot any
more. *Battery is fully charged, I've tried to 'hard reset' it, but it
gets to the initial splash screen and stops. *Does anyone repair these
things? *I'll use my 2495 if I can't get the 4705 fixed, but the 4705
display IS easier to read.

TIA
Jim

I have had good and fast turn-around repairs done by: www.pocketpctechs.com

Chip F.
Old March 21st 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 21, 11:31*am, chipsoars wrote:
On Mar 21, 1:47*pm, wrote:

I know this a way off topic, but I have a 4705 that won't boot any
more. *Battery is fully charged, I've tried to 'hard reset' it, but it
gets to the initial splash screen and stops. *Does anyone repair these
things? *I'll use my 2495 if I can't get the 4705 fixed, but the 4705
display IS easier to read.

TIA
Jim

I have had good and fast turn-around repairs done by: *www.pocketpctechs..com

Chip F.

Thanks Chip. I called them and they assured me it's fixable. All it
takes is money!
Old March 22nd 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
November Bravo

On Mar 21, 1:47 pm, wrote:

I know this a way off topic, but I have a 4705 that won't boot any
more. Battery is fully charged, I've tried to 'hard reset' it, but it
gets to the initial splash screen and stops. Does anyone repair these
things? I'll use my 2495 if I can't get the 4705 fixed, but the 4705
display IS easier to read.

TIA
Jim

I have had good and fast turn-around repairs done by: www.pocketpctechs.com

Chip F.

Thanks Chip. I called them and they assured me it's fixable. All it
takes is money!

If you are sending it to pocketpctechs, have the internal battery
replaced as well. The internal battery is specialized, extremely hard
to find. Unfortunately, Pocketpctech has them on backorder and they
are not expecting shipment until April. If your internal battery is
dead, you will continue to experience problems. I myself am going for
the memory upgrade as well. Good luck.
Old March 23rd 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 21, 1:47 pm, wrote:

[...]

the memory upgrade as well. *Good luck.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks NB, will do. I'm not in a huge hurry since my HX2495 is setup
up, so that will work for me.
Old March 24th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Considering the obvious first, which you certainly have, but the
battery has to be locked for the HP to boot. Did you check if the lock
switch at the bottom of the unit is moved towards the "locked"
position?
I wish it was only that simple
Cheers
Robert
Old March 24th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 24, 11:59*am, wrote:
Considering the obvious first, which you certainly have, but the
battery has to be locked for the HP to boot. Did you check if the lock
switch at the bottom of the unit is moved towards the "locked"
position?
I wish it was only that simple
Cheers
Robert

Thanks, but yup, battery locked. The day it quit, I had been setting
up some tasks in XCSoar. I stopped the program, stopped all running
programs, and turned it off. I put it in my briefcase and went on an
errand. When I got home, I got it out and turned it on. I got a
warning that it was low on memory, and saw that the audio recorder was
'recording'. I couldn't get it to stop, so I did a soft reset. When
it re-booted, it was still showing the recorder on, and memory
critically low. I shut it off, got out the manual, and did a hard
reset procedure. From that point on, it will only get to the very
first "splash" screen, and won't go any further. I talked to a rep.
at PCTech, and he said it needed a re-flash. I'll ask that a new
internal battery be installed while it's there.
The upside is that it got me off my duff to update XCSoar with the
latest version, which has a couple USEFUL features my old version
didn't. The downside being I loaded all the new stuff in my HX2495,
which is great except the display is better on the 4705. No worries
one way or another, I'll have something ready when the soaring gets
good!
Old March 25th 08, 06:11 AM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

[...]

James,

have a look around here and there before paying for a fix....

http://www.mobilitysite.com/boards/i...5-upgrade.html
http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=243857

Bagger
Old March 25th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 24, 11:11*pm, bagmaker
wrote:
-
[...]

http://tinyurl.com/yqe4mchttp://foru...d.php?t=243857

Bagger

--
bagmaker

Thanks,
I'll try that tonight if I get time. What's really funny is that
I've posted my initial question on 2 different pocket pc forums, and
received NOT ONE reply with any help. Not even one pointing me to a
commercial repair firm. Here on RAS, I get REAL help.
Gotta' love the internet AND our incredibly ecclectic intrepid gliding
community.
Old April 3rd 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 21, 10:47*am, wrote:
I know this a way off topic, but I have a 4705 that won't boot any
more. *Battery is fully charged, I've tried to 'hard reset' it, but it
gets to the initial splash screen and stops. *Does anyonerepairthese
things? *I'll use my 2495 if I can't get the 4705 fixed, but the 4705
display IS easier to read.

TIA
Jim

CLOSURE
With the help of those here on RAS who pointed me to a GOOD forum, my
HX4705 is back in service. Thanks to all!

New iPAQ 210 Paul Remde Soaring 2 September 7th 07 05:05 PM
FS iPaq Ed Hollestelle Soaring 6 April 28th 05 12:28 AM
New iPAQ 4700 Paul Remde Soaring 2 October 9th 04 11:06 PM
New iPAQ Jacek Kobiesa Soaring 7 September 26th 04 06:44 PM
MLR+IPAQ->OLC? jaro Soaring 0 June 23rd 04 03:06 PM