F/A-18 "Shoots Down" A4 -- The Long Version

Old December 12th 04, 09:31 PM
Jay Honeck

Default F/A-18 "Shoots Down" A4 -- The Long Version

For those who were intrigued by the mystery of how (and why) that F/A-18
accidentally "shot down" a photo-ship A4 Skyhawk (as shown in a short video
clip here a couple of weeks ago), here is a much longer version of the video
that shows several different angles, all the way to ejection.

http://alexisparkinn.com/photogaller...IREejectOK.wmv

It was not a missile test, but rather was a drop tank separation test flight
gone awry.

With many thanks to Bill T, who kindly sent us the video...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 12th 04, 10:41 PM
g n p

Jesus...............

Old December 12th 04, 10:49 PM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
For those who were intrigued by the mystery of how (and why) that F/A-18
accidentally "shot down" a photo-ship A4 Skyhawk (as shown in a short
video clip here a couple of weeks ago), here is a much longer version of
the video that shows several different angles, all the way to ejection.

http://alexisparkinn.com/photogaller...IREejectOK.wmv

It was not a missile test, but rather was a drop tank separation test
flight gone awry.

With many thanks to Bill T, who kindly sent us the video...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

I didn't see an ejection... did I miss it?

Old December 13th 04, 12:17 AM
Happy Dog

"Thomas J. Paladino Jr." wrote in message

I didn't see an ejection... did I miss it?

Right at the end. IIRC, the pilot was waiting until the aircraft was
oriented correctly for ejection. Don't know if that's true or makes
sense...

Old December 13th 04, 01:38 AM
G.R. Patterson III

"Chris G." wrote:

It's at the end, looked like he ejected into the fireball.

Yeah, it looks that way, but I think that's the seat rocket. It goes pretty
quickly off the screen to the right.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old December 14th 04, 03:49 AM
Dave Hyde

Thomas J. Paladino wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]
It was not a missile test, but rather was a drop tank separation test
flight gone awry.

It was a bomb rack jettison test with a two-seat photo chase, the back
seater in the TA-4J was carrying a big ol' movie camera.
The rack moved laterally a little more than expected, and
the results are obvious.

I didn't see an ejection... did I miss it?

Both crew ejected safely after the cameraman was able
to stow the camera (rather than eject with it in his lap).
The initiator motors are kind of masked by the fireball,
but everything after the impact worked as advertised.

Dave 'I'd rather have a slat departure' Hyde