quadriplegic ride

Old August 13th 13, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve

Default quadriplegic ride

I've got a friend that's a quadriplegic I'm thinking of taking for a ride.
Anyone have experience doing this? Is this a silly idea?
Old August 13th 13, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

It is a great idea assuming that you make accommodations. Contact http://www.freedomswings.org/ and get some proper advice.
Old August 13th 13, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

A Grob 103 or ASK-21 works best for in and out. Need someone that can safely lift the person from one side, or have a person hoist that many use to lift a person in a sitting position from the wheelchair to the glider and back.

Some quads cannot fell body temp or control body temperature, if you are hot or cold, they probably are too but don't notice it, take care of waiting too long with canopy closed.

Bill T
Old August 13th 13, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Our Club worked with Craig Hospital to give glider rides to some of its patients. Craig specializes in spinal cord injuries. Afterwards, some of the riders were able to fly with Condor, which we had ready for use. This link takes you to a video made by one of our riders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k05Vmll7SlA

Raul Boerner

(To facilitate, we removed the front control stick)
Old August 13th 13, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glenn Fisher

On Monday, August 12, 2013 9:26:50 PM UTC-4, Steve wrote:
I've got a friend that's a quadriplegic I'm thinking of taking for a ride..

Anyone have experience doing this? Is this a silly idea?

There are several people involved with Freedom's Wings who ensure the riders are comfortable and safely secured. You can email Freedom's Wings and communicate with Carl, who is the expert. The video below is of a passenger, who was not a quad, but did require the extra red straps seen in the video. The takeoff roll can be bumpy and unless the person is very secure, it is possible for them to shift into an uncomfortable or even unsafe position. If that happens, the only option for the pilot is to land as soon as practical, since they can't help the passenger while flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZQrgalM9Jk
Old August 13th 13, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]

On Monday, August 12, 2013 9:26:50 PM UTC-4, Steve wrote:
I've got a friend that's a quadriplegic I'm thinking of taking for a ride.

Anyone have experience doing this? Is this a silly idea?

I have read of a few cases where the passenger shifted into a position applying (sometimes severe) pressure to the controls. Something to consider during planning.

Old August 14th 13, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Cook[_2_]

As an "able body" volunteer for freedoms wings...I have participated in
many such flights....

We have developed an "upper body" seat belt....It goes around the
passenger's chest, under the arm pits, and connects to the seat back cross
bar (Grob 103)...this keeps the passenger straight up in the seat and
prevents any interference with controls...

In G 103, 2-32, probably may other 2 seaters, the rear stick is easily
removable...

Cookie

Old August 18th 13, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

On Monday, 12 August 2013 21:26:50 UTC-4, Steve wrote:
I've got a friend that's a quadriplegic I'm thinking of taking for a ride..

Anyone have experience doing this? Is this a silly idea?

Best to use a side-opening canopy model, like the G103. My chapter of Freedom's Wings Canada (Toronto, at York Soaring) has a golf cart modified with a hoist to lift a person out of the wheelchair and lower into the glider. It's easy with the G103, trickier with the ASK-21 because of the tilted canopy.

The chest belt is a great idea -- have to look into that! We use padding on the sides to keep the person upright, if needed.

Make sure you have a good and safe way to transfer the person from the wheelchair into the glider! Our hoist is great, but if you don't have a hoist, then you'll need strong people with strong backs -- I suggest removing the canopy, first.

An umbrella is a good idea -- use it to shade the person until hook-up time.. Depending on the location of the spinal damage, the person may have no ability to sweat and may quickly overheat.

Get the pedals fully forward and make sure that the person's feet can't shift forward onto the pedals. Depending on mobility and strength, you may need to tie the person's hands and elbows to the straps to prevent damage.

Above all, remember that the person normally has little sensation, so get wrinkles out clothing, comfy cushions, care with moving the extremites, etc especially moving in and out of the cockpit. And watch out for the instruments.

-John Brake
Chapter Manager
Freedom's Wings Canada - Toronto at York Soaring

My First Ride... Jay Honeck Piloting 8 November 28th 07 04:48 PM
Took a ride on the B-17 Jake Aviation Photos 10 June 18th 07 04:33 PM
Have You Given a Stranger a Ride? Jay Honeck Piloting 41 March 12th 06 04:06 AM
Share a Ride Enoch Walk Piloting 0 October 31st 03 07:04 PM
Glider Ride BTIZ Piloting 5 July 18th 03 09:28 AM