Question on fuel consumption

Old October 22nd 04, 05:36 AM
Peter Duniho

"Shemp McGurk" wrote in message
m...
[...]
And from the example you give above, it's about what I thought it
would be: a 747 with, say, 300 passengers is consuming 6 gallons per
mile and a Gulfstream with, say, 10 passengers is consuming 1 gallon
per mile, the per-passenger miles-per-gallon is WAY higher with the
private jet than with the commercial jet.

You have that backwards (maybe because the mileages were stated reverse from
what we're used to in the US).

300 passengers in an airplane that's getting 1/6th of a mile per gallon
winds up being 50 passenger-miles per gallon, while 10 passengers in an
airplane that's getting 1 mile per gallon winds up being 10 passenger-miles
per gallon. The 747 has better mileage by a factor of 5.

That's assuming the figures are actually correct, of course. I can't speak
on whether they are or not.

Pete

Old October 22nd 04, 11:16 AM
Cub Driver

Zero Six Hotel burns four gallons an hour on average, if that helps

... during it's fifty nm journey in a no wind situation. ;-)

Actually, the fuel burn is the same whether the wind is blowing or
not.

It's true that with a 20-knot wind the outbound journey will take a
bit longer than the return. (20-knot winds hereabouts almost always
come from the NNW, which is where I am generally going.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
Old October 22nd 04, 01:17 PM
Peter R.

Cub Driver ) wrote:

Zero Six Hotel burns four gallons an hour on average, if that helps

... during it's fifty nm journey in a no wind situation. ;-)

Actually, the fuel burn is the same whether the wind is blowing or
not.

I was trying to make a joke about the Cub's no wind ground speed.

--
Peter

Old October 22nd 04, 01:30 PM
Peter R.

Peter R. ) wrote:

Cub Driver ) wrote:

Zero Six Hotel burns four gallons an hour on average, if that helps

... during it's fifty nm journey in a no wind situation. ;-)

Actually, the fuel burn is the same whether the wind is blowing or
not.

I was trying to make a joke about the Cub's no wind ground speed.

Whoops, I left off this

--
Peter

Old October 22nd 04, 02:03 PM
Shemp McGurk

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message ...
"Shemp McGurk" wrote in message
m...
[...]
And from the example you give above, it's about what I thought it
would be: a 747 with, say, 300 passengers is consuming 6 gallons per
mile and a Gulfstream with, say, 10 passengers is consuming 1 gallon
per mile, the per-passenger miles-per-gallon is WAY higher with the
private jet than with the commercial jet.

You have that backwards (maybe because the mileages were stated reverse from
what we're used to in the US).

Yes, you're right...I have it backwards but I meant to say what YOU
say below. Instad of saying "WAY higher" I meant to say "WAY worse".

Old October 22nd 04, 02:19 PM
Mike Rapoport

Of course this is basically true for any two aircraft, the larger one will
get more passenger miles per gallon. A 777 gets a lot more than a 737 for
instance. The same is true for car vs bus.

Mike
MU-2

om...

Old October 22nd 04, 04:50 PM
Chris W

Shemp McGurk wrote:

Actually, your Gulfstream V comparison with the 747-400 is exactly the
kind of thing I'm looking for: the per-passenger miles-per-gallon on a
private jet versus the per-passenger miles-per-gallon on a commercial
jet.

And from the example you give above, it's about what I thought it
would be: a 747 with, say, 300 passengers is consuming 6 gallons per
mile and a Gulfstream with, say, 10 passengers is consuming 1 gallon
per mile, the per-passenger miles-per-gallon is WAY higher with the
private jet than with the commercial jet.

Yes?

The basic concept is the same for airplanes as it is for ground
vehicles. The larger the vehicle the better the "payload mile per
gallon". If you consider the payload of a new 18 wheeler that gets, I
think, over 6 miles/per gallon, to that of the say 40 mpg of some small
cars, you will find that per pound of payload the 18 wheeler gets a lot
better millage. The same is true for airplanes. I would also bet, with
out knowing the exact numbers, that a 777 has a higher "payload mile per
gallon" than a 40 mpg Honda civic. If you go by Payload mile per gallon
per hour of transit time, the 777 number would eclipse the Honda number.

--
Chris W

Not getting the gifts you want? The Wish Zone can help.
http://thewishzone.com

"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
Old October 22nd 04, 09:58 PM
John Galban

"C J Campbell" wrote in message ...
snip
Some small single piston engine planes can easily exceed thirty miles per
gallon, while others are doing well to get a third of that.

I'm curious, CJ. Can you provide an example of a light single that
easily exceeds 30 mpg? Most of the more common ones (172, PA28,
etc..) tend to average around 15 to 18 mpg, depending on the power
setting.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old October 22nd 04, 10:29 PM
Pat D. Halpin

Shemp McGurk wrote:
snip
I'm looking for a list of fuel consumption ratings for:

- private jets

- commercial jets.

...AND, if such a list exists, a per-passenger fuel consumption by
type of aircraft.

This spreadsheet-

http://www.arising.com.au/aviation/A...Comparison.htm

isn't a perfect match but it may be of interest to the OP and others.