Rudder for final runway alignment (?)

Old September 30th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Rudder for final runway alignment (?)

Thomas Borchert writes:

And your worries show in the accident statistics of the Boeing 777 and
the Airbus 32x and up exactly where, after over 20 years of service?

With the exception of the 747, all of the non-fly-by-wire Boeing
aircraft have had fewer accidents than any of the FBW Airbus aircraft,
on a per-flight basis.

From the most to least safe, we have:

2 (Boeing) MD-80
7 Airbus A319/A320/A321
8 Embraer 120 Brasilia
9 (Boeing) DC-9
11 L-1011 Tristar
12 Airbus A300
13 Airbus A310
14 Boeing 747 (!)

There's a ton of single points of failure in any aircraft ever designed.

But very few catastrophic failure modes outside the world of
fly-by-wire.

Old September 30th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

RK Henry writes:

My Warrior has non-redundant cables operating the control surfaces. As
long as metal continues to obey physical laws and they get looked at
once a year, I have few worries. However, there are people who suggest
FBW is in the future for light aircraft. That worries me. How is a 777
flight control system going to scale to a Warrior? Is there going to
be some kind of cost-saving breakthrough or are they going to cut
corners?

They are going to cut corners. That's the objective of most FBW
systems.

Old October 1st 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
601XL Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:

They are going to cut corners. That's the objective of most FBW
systems.

You are just so damn clueless.
Old October 2nd 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

RK,

20 years of service?

When did the 320 enter service?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 2nd 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Grumman-581[_3_]

"601XL Builder" wrDOTgiacona@coxDOTnet wrote in message
You are just so damn clueless.

Of course, you have to wonder if he was initially so clueless he was forced
to move to France or whether he became that way after moving there from
their cultural influence... Either way, same result...