Excellent TV Piece on GA

Old November 22nd 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default Excellent TV Piece on GA

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

kontiki writes:

The only difference between 2nd and 3rd class is a slightly
stricter vision requirement (must be 20/20 distant where 3rd
class allows for 20/40 distant).

So why do you have to cough for a second-class medical? That would be
a check for an inguinal hernia, which is totally unrelated to aptitude
for flying.

How would you know? You don't fly.

Bertie

Old November 22nd 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

William Hung writes:

In France perhaps, but in the US even people on welfare drive $10-20k
cars.

People in the US are living on borrowed time and are drowning in debt.

No need to eliminate it, if you are physically able to drive a car,
you are physically able to fly a plane as a private pilot.

Then why is the medical for a pilot's license so much more strict than
that for a car?

Professional pilots are held to higher standards, and rightly so, as
far as physical capabilities are concerned.

Why rightly so? Are the same standards applied to ship captains and
train engineers?

You really
should give flying a try; you might really enjoy flying up in the
open air. I guaranty you it is a world of difference from flying on
a computer.

If I ever have the resources to do so, I might. However, it's
entirely plausible that I might find that I prefer simulation to the
real thing, for a number of reasons.

Not the learst of which is you'd be a complete menace in a real airplane.

Bertie
Old November 22nd 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
William Hung writes:

[...]

Yeah, mostly because the real world scares you ****less.

You'd rather hole up in your simulated bat cave and make grandiose
pronouncements on people living a real life.

But since the real world scares you so much, you'll never have the
resources to do anything other than be a USENET irritant.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old November 22nd 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Read my entire response please. My point was that one does not need
$6,000 to fly, $100 will do it.

I did and my point was that the dollar amount does not have much to do
with somebody's desire to fly or get a PPL. Its similar to why I don't
go skydiving even though I know it may be less expensive than flying.

Old November 22nd 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Hmmm. I've spent the last 13 years flying my family from coast to
coast, Canada to Mexico, on vacations ranging from overnight to two
weeks in duration. I've flown hundreds of times in support of my
business(es) during that time as well.

Leaving from Iowa City I can be in Chicago for brunch, St Louis for
dinner, and home by the 10 o'clock news. Do *that* on a horse!

I agree its more useful than riding a horse, but I don't think that
flying in the midwest in winter and fall is that reliable in a light
single either. On some good days, no doubt its a great option to have
but you probably need to have and maintain an instrument rating, night
currency etc., its a fair bit of money.. even with all this I doubt
you can do better than the airlines on average, its certainly not
cheaper.

Old November 22nd 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Excellent TV Piece onee GA

"William Hung" wrote

Calm down Jim. lol If a person is missing say an arm or hearing,
can't that person be qualified with stipulation? That's what I meant
by waiver/variance. We're talking private flying now, not
professional.

That sure is not how you make it sound, in context. A missing arm or
something is not why most people can not get a medical, without a waiver.
Here is what you posted:

No need to eliminate it, [the physical] if you are physically able to drive
a car,
you are physically able to fly a plane as a private pilot. The FEW
who are disqualified can apply for a variance or a waiver, if they are
deemed safe to fly, they will be permitted to fly.

It is at this point that I started to laugh.

The VAST Majority of people that drive a car that can not get a physical,
can not get a medical certificate because they fail to meet other
qualifications, such as non approved prescription drugs, disallowed physical
conditions such as heart problems, kidney stones, epilepsy, and a list of
other diseases. This is the reason why your statement is laughable.

A very small percentage of people apply and get medical approval through the
waiver process. Most know that they can not get approved, and don't even
bother applying. Waivers certainly do not allow "all but a few" to get
certified to fly.

The sidelines are full of people who have lost their medicals. It is
laughable for you to think that anyone can get a medical to fly. Sport
pilot certification is here, largely because of this fact.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 23rd 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
[email protected][_1_]

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 07:54:45 -0800 (PST), William Hung
wrote:

On Nov 22, 2:35 am, "Morgans" wrote:
"William Hung" wrote

No need to eliminate it, if you are physically able to drive a car,
you are physically able to fly a plane as a private pilot. The FEW
who are disqualified can apply for a variance or a waiver, if they are
deemed safe to fly, they will be permitted to fly.

Say WHAT???

Variance? ? ? WAIVER ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Bwaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha haw! ! !
--
Jim in NC

Calm down Jim. lol If a person is missing say an arm or hearing,
can't that person be qualified with stipulation? That's what I meant
by waiver/variance. We're talking private flying now, not
professional.

Wil

Private/professional doesn't necessarily make a difference. Do a
search on Statement Of Demonstrated Authority (SODA).

In some cases, a checkride is given, verifying that the physical issue
does not interfer with the abilities of the pilot.

I know an ATP rated pilot who has a SODA for monocular vision
(industrial accident). My last biennial was so I could haul him down
to the FSDO airport for his SODA ride.

TC
Old November 23rd 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Nov 21, 5:11 pm, Jay Honeck wrote:

Amazing! This Cedar Rapids, Iowa TV station did a 2-part piece on
learning to fly -- and did a wonderful job!

The CFI in both segments, Tim Bush, is outstanding. He's a real
pistol, locally, with a zillion ideas for growing GA, and endless
energy to boot.

If only we could get more publicity like this....

Only part I'd disagree with is the six month duration for completing
training. When I was a full time instructor, the folks that only had
the weekends to fly would take the better part of a year owing to
weather and unavoidable schedule conflicts. As far as cost, if you
could get it done for $5k you're lucky. Here in CT it's closer to $7k
with the run-up in fuel costs.
Old November 23rd 07, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

Private/professional doesn't necessarily make a difference. Do a
search on Statement Of Demonstrated Authority (SODA).

In some cases, a checkride is given, verifying that the physical issue
does not interfer with the abilities of the pilot.

I know an ATP rated pilot who has a SODA for monocular vision
(industrial accident). My last biennial was so I could haul him down
to the FSDO airport for his SODA ride.

Sure, I know that people get a certificate with disabilities though the
waiver process, all of the time.

What I took issue with is the idea that he put out that about anyone that
can drive can fly, simply by getting a waiver.

The fact is that far more people can not fly (but yet can drive a car)
because of other medical situations that a medical waiver is ever going to
help out, than people that waivers could help.

I'm having a hard time trying to put this all into words. I think you
probably know what I mean, though it has not been well stated.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 23rd 07, 11:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 20:47:23 -0800 (PST), Kingfish
wrote:

Here in CT it's closer to $7k
with the run-up in fuel costs.

I'd go even higher, now.

At HVN, HFD, and IJD, Warriors and 172's are renting for $120-125/hr.
wet, with 150's and Traumahawk's hitting $105-$110. Some of the
bigger schools are going $55-60/hr. for instructors. I don't know of
schools charging less than $50/hr. for instruction.

For a 55 hr. PPL, that's over 10 grand. I think it would even run
high8's to low 9's at Meriden or Robertson.