Mid-Air at Turf, Acro boxes etc

Old January 24th 04, 05:51 AM
Rick Brown

Default Mid-Air at Turf, Acro boxes etc

Background: I have flown at and for Turf Soaring School
for 32 of their 36 years. I was present the day of
the mid-air. I heard the collision, looked up and saw
the aftermath. I went to the scene in case first aid
could be of help. I 'ran interference' for Roy Coulliette
with the press as he had just lost his son and become
the spokesman for Turf. Maybe I can add something useful
to the discussion.

When Turf started doing aerobatics, there was no aerobatic
box and none was required by FARs. Turf consultated
with the FAA and applied for the waiver for an acro
box then secured the FAA approval for the waiver to
improve safety. The aerobatic box designates an area
where aerobatics can be safely practiced for air shows,
competitions and exhibitions. The FAA approved the
box, and the waiver has been renewed many times in
the years (15-20?) since the waiver was originally
granted. The waiver for the box was in effect during
the accident, the box was 'opened' with TRACON that
morning and, as far as I know, all of the conditions
listed on the waiver had been met. Both the glider
and the airplane had a 'right' to be where they were.
It was VFR conditions and each should have seen and
avoided the other. Neither did. Each paid the ultimate
price.

Also noteworthy is that the folks in the glider were
wearing parachutes The passenger had been given a briefing
on how to use the parachute in an emergency. The ASK21
had a second seat belt installed in each seat so that
each person had two completely separate belts with
completely separate anchor points. This additional
safety item goes beyond what is required by FARs.

It is also noteworthy that the glider passenger was
outside the glider after the crash while the pilot
was still in the rear seat. Some of us think this may
mean that they were in the process of bailing out,
the passenger having possibly released his belts and
the instructor having stayed with the glider until
the passenger was out.

Turf takes safety seriously. We, as any reasonable
person or organization would, are re-examining our
policies and procedures developed over 36 years. We
have decided to move the acro box 1/2 box (kilometer)
further away from the runways. After consultation with
the FAA, the box has already been moved. We hope that
this move will lessen the chance for a mid-air, even
though it may someday mean a glider doesn't get all
the way back to the airport. Weekly safety meetings
(that were started well before the accident) are held
in Turf's classroom with a blackboard upon which is
written the word 'SAFETY' in big bold letters. That
word is not allowed to be erased. Yes, that word was
there before the accident. We are looking for other
changes and expect to implement some.

I would like to mention too that Turf has trained hundreds
of aerobatic pilots. Many of our students have competed
regionally, nationally and even some at the world level.
Some have won their competitions. One of our alums
flys air shows for a living. (In an Extra 300.) Over
the years Turf has introduced thousands if not tens
of thousands of people to glider aerobatics and, in
the process, to soaring.

There is not a pilot among us who could not do a better
job of clearing. DO IT! I know I cannot change the
past, but by teaching others I can change the future.
That is what I will do. I hope those who review this
accident and read this message will be safer because
of it.

Acro Sport II Al MacDonald Aerobatics 1 September 1st 04 06:38 PM
Turf Soaring Mid-Air, Acro Boxes, Etc Rick Brown Soaring 0 January 23rd 04 03:44 PM
Mid-Air at Turf Soaring Herbert Kilian Soaring 7 January 2nd 04 12:26 PM
Acro Sport Project for sale Frank P. Janner Owning 0 December 31st 03 03:45 PM
Need G-103 Acro Master Cylinder Ray Lovinggood Soaring 5 September 30th 03 03:39 AM