composite design

Old February 9th 05, 10:25 PM
Blueskies

wrote in message ups.com...
Any recommendations for textbooks addressing designing, especially
stress
analysis, with composite materials?

--

FF

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Old February 10th 05, 02:39 AM
Morgans

"Richard Riley" wrote

I've used that method a lot recently, with bidirectional glass and
epoxy. And soft copper tube down the noodle so I can bend it and it
will stay in that shape. I've been using it for air ducts so I
haven't dealt with any primary loads, but it works wonderfully.

Clever!

I think I know the answer, but how do you get the noodle out of the layup?
--
Jim in NC

Old February 10th 05, 04:30 AM
Morgans

"Richard Riley" wrote

(A detailed blow by blow of some hard work.)

I haven't had one fail yet.

I also haven't ever used the hexigon shaped noodles, only round ones.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Yikes! Not what I had in mind. Won't gas dissolve those noodles?
--
Jim in NC

Old February 10th 05, 06:24 AM
Morgans

"Richard Riley" wrote

It's usually not that hard, unless you're working with a duct that is
both convoluted and long.

I'll take your word for it! g
--
Jim in NC

Old February 10th 05, 12:57 PM
Corky Scott

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 20:19:06 -0800, Richard Riley
wrote:

Also, oil the copper tube before you put it down the
noodle.

I confess to being mystified as to what a noodle is, and also Richard,
what are the diameters of the air duct you're fabricating?

Thanks, Corky Scott
Old February 10th 05, 09:04 PM
CarbonFiberSolutions.com

wrote in message oups.com...
Any recommendations for textbooks addressing designing, especially
stress
analysis, with composite materials?

Composite design can be a difficult task to take on as a beginner. Go
to our website,
www.carbonfibersolutions.com, to see what we are all
about. If you have a specific project in mind give us a call.
Old February 11th 05, 04:25 PM

CarbonFiberSolutions.com wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...
Any recommendations for textbooks addressing designing, especially
stress
analysis, with composite materials?

Composite design can be a difficult task to take on as a beginner.

Go
to our website,
www.carbonfibersolutions.com, to see what we are all
about. If you have a specific project in mind give us a call.

My past experience with stress analysis has been with homogeneous
materials, principly stainless steel pressure vessels. Dunno if
that makes me a beginner or not. The specific project I have in
mind in the short term is to learn to do stress analysis for
composite materials as I figure that is a prerequisite for every-
thing else I may want to do.

You can't design something if you've no way to determine how
strong (or stiff) it will be.

--

FF