Well then, what about trailing antenna's?

Old June 20th 05, 12:15 AM
john wier

Default Well then, what about trailing antenna's?

If the big aluminum foil ears on a whip antenna doesn't help, what
about those trailing wire antenna's that are trailed back behing the
aircraft a good distance. I've seen them on Aero Commanders (500
series). I might hook up a spool of wire and one of those drag devices
that pull it out the tail of the airplane and trail it back a quarter
of a mile or so. I could have enormous transmitting ability. Make a
weak radio a super radio. I wonder if it would attract lightening
though.
Old June 20th 05, 01:24 AM
RST Engineering

Will somebody please take this bubba out and shoot him. Please?

Jim

Old June 20th 05, 01:48 AM
Luke Scharf

RST Engineering wrote:
Will somebody please take this bubba out and shoot him. Please?

Someone should at least explain the signigicance of 1/4 wavelength WRT
antennas to him first.

-Luke
Old June 20th 05, 03:15 AM
john wier

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:48:53 -0400, Luke Scharf
wrote:

RST Engineering wrote:
Will somebody please take this bubba out and shoot him. Please?

Someone should at least explain the signigicance of 1/4 wavelength WRT
antennas to him first.

-Luke

1/4 wave antenna's are hogwash. They barely work. What you need is
"complete wave" or "full wave" With my trailing antenna, I'll have the
equivalent of many full wave antenna's end to end.
Old June 20th 05, 03:15 AM
W P Dixon

What's a bubba?

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old June 20th 05, 03:19 AM
john wier

wrote:

RST Engineering wrote:
Will somebody please take this bubba out and shoot him. Please?

Someone should at least explain the signigicance of 1/4 wavelength WRT
antennas to him first.

-Luke

I did miss one thing though, I read that vhf needs a certain amount of
the antenna in a vertical direction, so my trailing antenna would be
too horizontal. I plan to put a lead sinker on the end of the wire so
the tail will hang down a bit and give me the vertical orientation I
need. Wouldn't that work?
Old June 20th 05, 03:55 AM
COLIN LAMB

The 1/4 mile trailing wire works very well if you put a tin can and a button
on the end.

And, the old story is that if some part of the aircraft is still on the
ground it is not flying, which means you do not need pilot's license. Then,
the problem is that if you are not flying a real plane, you do not have an
automatic aircraft radio license. Since you do not have a radio license,
the tin can will work to talk to the ground. Just circle around a point so
that the end stays at the same point, so you can talk to the guy on the
ground.

This would work especially well during a lightning storm at night, because
the guy on ground will become a beacon as well.

The military even experimented with underground antennas. You might try one
of those on your aircraft.

Colin

Old June 20th 05, 03:57 AM
john smith

W P Dixon wrote:
What's a bubba?

Patrick, you're in Tennessee, right?
Take a short flight to NC, SC, GA or AL.
Ask around, the FBO you stop at may even have one on staff.
Old June 20th 05, 04:01 AM
W P Dixon

OHHHH one of those kind, I'm sorry here we call them dumb yankees The
ones down here we dreadfully have to call family ! HAHA

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old June 20th 05, 05:41 AM
tedstriker

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 02:55:16 GMT, "COLIN LAMB"
wrote:

The 1/4 mile trailing wire works very well if you put a tin can and a button
on the end.

And, the old story is that if some part of the aircraft is still on the
ground it is not flying, which means you do not need pilot's license. Then,
the problem is that if you are not flying a real plane, you do not have an
automatic aircraft radio license. Since you do not have a radio license,
the tin can will work to talk to the ground. Just circle around a point so
that the end stays at the same point, so you can talk to the guy on the
ground.

This would work especially well during a lightning storm at night, because
the guy on ground will become a beacon as well.

The military even experimented with underground antennas. You might try one
of those on your aircraft.

Colin

Your whole idea is rediculous! nonsense! I'm seriously trying to
improve 2-way radio reception and transmission. They only allow a
miserly 5 watts or so of power for light plane transmitters, so we
have to be creative. The trailing antenna will give us radio power
like an airliner has.

GPS Smart antenna's Chris Soaring 4 July 13th 04 07:18 AM
GPS active antennas Martin Gregorie Soaring 2 May 15th 04 07:38 PM
Choice of Paint for use over Copper foil Antennas Charlie Precourt Home Built 1 December 2nd 03 02:51 AM
Consistant trailing edges on rotor blades 3D-Don Rotorcraft 1 October 24th 03 06:07 AM
Crooked or Wavy Trailing Edges of Wings and Control Surfaces Larry Smith Home Built 3 October 24th 03 02:31 AM