Straight-ins at uncontrolled airports?

Old February 18th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

Default Straight-ins at uncontrolled airports?

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Someone going around _is_ in the standard pattern, since the standard
pattern
always includes the runway.

What's your point? Standard procedure for a go around is full power, climb
to pattern altitude and step to the right of the runway so as not to inhibit
other users who may be taking off, and so you can see what is happening on
the runway.
Oz/Crash Lander

Old February 19th 07, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

I'v eheard of the overhead break a lot. What exactly is it?

mike

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news

I prefer the overhead break to the downwind, where you can see other
traffic and space yourself accordingly. We do this all the time at
Spruce Creek -- especially when flying formation. It gets everybody on
the ground fastest.

Old February 19th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

A series of predetermined manoeuvres prescribed for the VFR arrival of
military aircraft (often in formation) for their entry into the VFR
aerodrome traffic circuit and for landing.

It looks like they are flying over the runway at or above pattern
altitude, then starting over about the numbers the airplanes in
sequence break off, do a decending 360 onto final then land.

, On Feb 19, 7:28 am, "mike regish" wrote:
I'v eheard of the overhead break a lot. What exactly is it?

mike

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message

news

I prefer the overhead break to the downwind, where you can see other
traffic and space yourself accordingly. We do this all the time at
Spruce Creek -- especially when flying formation. It gets everybody on
the ground fastest.- Hide quoted text -

Old February 19th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 2/19/2007 10:04:48 AM, "Tony" wrote:

It looks like they are flying over the runway at or above pattern
altitude, then starting over about the numbers the airplanes in
sequence break off, do a decending 360 onto final then land.

Not meaning to nitpick but just to expand on this a bit, when the F16s at the
guard base on my home airport perform this maneuver, they overfly the runway
at runway heading and what appears to be about 1,500 feet above runway
elevation to the departure end in a single file, turn 180 degrees back to the
left downwind at what appears to be the same altitude, then about adjacent to
the approach end begin a sharp descent and 180 degree turn back to final.

--
Peter
Old February 20th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
"Peter R." wrote:

On 2/19/2007 10:04:48 AM, "Tony" wrote:

It looks like they are flying over the runway at or above pattern
altitude, then starting over about the numbers the airplanes in
sequence break off, do a decending 360 onto final then land.

Not meaning to nitpick but just to expand on this a bit, when the F16s at the
guard base on my home airport perform this maneuver, they overfly the runway
at runway heading and what appears to be about 1,500 feet above runway
elevation to the departure end in a single file, turn 180 degrees back to the
left downwind at what appears to be the same altitude, then about adjacent to
the approach end begin a sharp descent and 180 degree turn back to final.

Overhead break with 3 second intervals for spacing.
Old February 20th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:25:52 GMT, "Crash Lander"
wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
.. .
Someone going around _is_ in the standard pattern, since the standard
pattern
always includes the runway.

What's your point? Standard procedure for a go around is full power, climb
to pattern altitude and step to the right of the runway so as not to inhibit
other users who may be taking off, and so you can see what is happening on
the runway.
Oz/Crash Lander

Here it'd be straight out to pattern height and then a cross wind to
down wind unless you end up passing some one.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old February 20th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

Is the step to the right something new? I might do that if the reason
for an aborted landing was someone taking the active when I was on a
mile final, but if I was on short final I'd climb straight ahead over
that traffic being pretty sure it wasn't going to catch up with me (of
course I'd notice if it was a hot airplane) , bend onto crosswind and
rejoin downwind considering other traffics' location.

On Feb 20, 4:18 pm, Roger wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:25:52 GMT, "Crash Lander"
wrote:

.. .

Old February 20th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"Tony" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is the step to the right something new? I might do that if the reason
for an aborted landing was someone taking the active when I was on a
mile final, but if I was on short final I'd climb straight ahead over
that traffic being pretty sure it wasn't going to catch up with me (of
course I'd notice if it was a hot airplane) , bend onto crosswind and
rejoin downwind considering other traffics' location.

Not sure how new it is, but it's what I was taught when I did go arounds
about 3 lessons ago. Maybe they are just teaching me best practice methods
and telling me it's the way it is to be done. Makes sense to be safe rather
than sorry though I guess.
Oz/Crash Lander

Old February 21st 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
"Crash Lander" wrote:

"Tony" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is the step to the right something new? I might do that if the reason
for an aborted landing was someone taking the active when I was on a
mile final, but if I was on short final I'd climb straight ahead over
that traffic being pretty sure it wasn't going to catch up with me (of
course I'd notice if it was a hot airplane) , bend onto crosswind and
rejoin downwind considering other traffics' location.

Not sure how new it is, but it's what I was taught when I did go arounds
about 3 lessons ago. Maybe they are just teaching me best practice methods
and telling me it's the way it is to be done. Makes sense to be safe rather
than sorry though I guess.

When you are sitting in the left seat of a side-by-side aircraft, side
stepping to the right allows you to see and watch the traffic on the
runway as you approach and depart.