Another E glider concept

Old October 10th 20, 10:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_6_]

Default LX5000/Flarm Red box

At 03:00 10 October 2020, 2G wrote:
On Friday, October 9, 2020 at 10:40:20 AM UTC-7, B BRIONES wrote:
On Friday, October 9, 2020 at 7:55:04 AM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
Why are so many topics getting threaded under "Another E glider
concept"? Happens both on my newsreader, as well as when just viewing

R.A.S. on Google.
On 10/9/20 8:44 AM, Adrian Morgan wrote:
I have an LX 5000, which I want to interface with a Red Box Flarm.

The LX has four ports (five including the vario display connection)

labelled:

1. Power (wired to battery main switch)
2. Hold (wired to flip switch. No idea what it does!)
3. DataComm (a previous owner had "hot wired" two of its leads into

Garmin LX12 cable. No Garmin now fitted)
4. Meter ( RJ 12 6 pin phone type port. Not connected.)

The LX presumably has a built in GPS, but needs an aerial.

The LX is not finding a GPS fix, as there is no aerial. I assume the

Garmin
had been used to give the LX data via the DataComm hot wires.

Now, with no Garmin, I assume the Flarm GPS aerial could do the job.

Question, how to wire it all up. Must be simple for anyone other

than
an
electronic imbecile like myself.

here's another Not an e-glider but a fossil burning, screaming jet

engine, glider looking but short winged--

https://www.desertaerospace.com/extreme-light-jet--xlj-

That doesn't even rise to the level of a concept - more like wishful
thinking.

Tom

Which does nothing to answer the original poster's question. Shame on you!

Quite simply, LX5000 and Flarm cannot exchange Spatial Data.

Both the LX5000 and Flarm are IGC Flight Recorders and as such can only
receiver Spatial Data via the antenna.

The dataports can transfer Task Declarations (prior to Take-Off).
They may also output NMEA data, but not receive it.
The LX5000 can control a suitable Radio via a Radio Bridge.
Waypoint and similar files can be received via the dataport.
IGC files can be downloaded.
Dataports have their uses, but receiving Spatial Data is not one of them.

What the poster wants to do is not possible.

Tim.

Old October 18th 20, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graham Stanford[_2_]

Default Fuel fo ASK 14 motorglider

Just bought an ASK 14 motorglider and reading the flight manual
etc. The fuel required is noted as octane 80 normal gasoline mixed
with two stroke oil at a ratio of 20/1.

The chap that owned it before me ran it on normal unleaded with
shell vsx at a ration of 30/1.

I’m sure this is ok but I wanted to see what anyone else currently
uses?

Thanks

Old October 19th 20, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BG[_4_]

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 1:00:07 PM UTC-7, Graham Stanford wrote:
Just bought an ASK 14 motorglider and reading the flight manual
etc. The fuel required is noted as octane 80 normal gasoline mixed
with two stroke oil at a ratio of 20/1.

The chap that owned it before me ran it on normal unleaded with
shell vsx at a ration of 30/1.

I’m sure this is ok but I wanted to see what anyone else currently
uses?

Thanks

The oil to gas ratio is function of oil type and not fundamental to a 2 stroke engine design. The 20:1 ratio sounds like conventional oil and not synthetic. Most pure synthetics are 50:1. A down side to conventional oil is they burn very dirty with lots carbon buildup in the cylinder, ports and are very prone to fouling the plug Synthetics burn much cleaner though not perfect.
Buzz
Old October 19th 20, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graham Stanford[_2_]

Stanford wrote:
Just bought an ASK 14 motorglider and reading the flight

manual=20
etc. The fuel required is noted as octane 80 normal gasoline

mixed=20
with two stroke oil at a ratio of 20/1.=20
=20
The chap that owned it before me ran it on normal unleaded

with=20
shell vsx at a ration of 30/1.=20
=20
I=E2=80=99m sure this is ok but I wanted to see what

anyone else
currentl=
y=20
uses?=20
=20
Thanks=20
=20

=
are very prone to fouling the plug Synthetics burn much

cleaner though
no=
t perfect.
Buzz

Thanks Buzz

Old October 26th 20, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default possible scammer?

Just got an email about my W&W ad for a PowerFlarm Portable
from a "Frank Taylor" in the MN area (area code 507). The grammar
is just a little off, he asks what my asking price is even though it is
right in the ad, and he wants to pay with a Bank of America certified
check. Has anyone else out there been contacted by this guy? I
checked the SSA member directory, and there are no matches for
a Frank Taylor. I smell a scam.

RO

Old October 26th 20, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 16:01 26 October 2020, Michael Opitz wrote:
Just got an email about my W&W ad for a PowerFlarm Portable
from a "Frank Taylor" in the MN area (area code 507). The grammar
is just a little off, he asks what my asking price is even though it is
right in the ad, and he wants to pay with a Bank of America certified
check. Has anyone else out there been contacted by this guy? I
checked the SSA member directory, and there are no matches for
a Frank Taylor. I smell a scam.

RO

W&W just answered. Scammer. P3 got the identical email in
response to his ad as well.

RO

Old October 26th 20, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Monday, 26 October 2020 10:15:06 UTC-6, Michael Opitz wrote:
Just got an email about my W&W ad for a PowerFlarm Portable
from a "Frank Taylor" in the MN area (area code 507). The grammar
is just a little off, he asks what my asking price is even though it is
right in the ad, and he wants to pay with a Bank of America certified
check. Has anyone else out there been contacted by this guy? I
checked the SSA member directory, and there are no matches for
a Frank Taylor. I smell a scam.

RO

I got the same email, wording was obvious it was a scammer!
Old November 20th 20, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

Default Youtube link

There is a new you tube video of a NZ glider entering cloud, you
should all watch it.Sorry posting the link defeated me but some
one will.I suggest you pour a stiff drink before watching.It is only
3mins.

Old November 20th 20, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

At 19:28 20 November 2020, Jonathon May wrote:
There is a new you tube video of a NZ glider entering cloud, you
should all watch it.Sorry posting the link defeated me but some
one will.I suggest you pour a stiff drink before watching.It is

only
3mins

youtube.comGlider IMC, Manawatu New Zealand.webloc

Old November 20th 20, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Bailey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8djWfNmJlKo