Google Earth Problem?

Old November 18th 13, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Google Earth Problem?

I have been a heavy user of Google Earth for several years. Recently I have a problem that I have spent several hours trying to correct. When I log on to Google Earth, I always start in view that does not allow me to zoom in. The view controls at the upper right side of the screen are there but do not function. The wheel on the mouse works, but as I zoom in I end up looking over the horizon at a very flat angle. I have even tried removing the Google Earth program and reinstalling the program. All these problems are on my computer at home. The office computer works normally. Does anyone know what is going wrong?

Bill Snead
6W
Old November 18th 13, 10:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My laptop does the same thing??
Glen
Old November 18th 13, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Did you recently upgrade it or has it auto-updated? I loaded the latest version of GE back in January. It flat does not work. I checked some blogs and found out many people have the same trouble. They recommended going back to an older version which I found in my Downloads folder. That worked perfectly. Progress??
Old November 19th 13, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I On Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:41:21 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I have been a heavy user of Google Earth for several years. Recently I have a problem that I have spent several hours trying to correct. When I log on to Google Earth, I always start in view that does not allow me to zoom in. The view controls at the upper right side of the screen are there but do not function. The wheel on the mouse works, but as I zoom in I end up looking over the horizon at a very flat angle. I have even tried removing the Google Earth program and reinstalling the program. All these problems are on my computer at home. The office computer works normally. Does anyone know what is going wrong?

Bill Snead

6W

I checked my download file and the only google earth file I found is the one I used to reinstall In September 2013. I do not think it will help. Is there a way to contact Google for help?

Bill Snead
6W
Old November 19th 13, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Doe

In article ,
, says...

I have been a heavy user of Google Earth for several years. Recently I have a problem that I have spent several hours trying to correct. When I log on to Google Earth, I always start in view that does not allow me to zoom in. The view controls at the upper right side of the screen are there but do not function. The wheel on the mouse works, but as I zoom in I end up looking over the horizon at a very flat angle. I have even tried removing the Google Earth program

and reinstalling the program. All these problems are on my computer at home. The office computer works normally. Does anyone know what is going wrong?

Bill Snead
6W

Try this, as it sounds like a Google Earth cache problem (new installs
don't help sometimes, as the cache maybe left behind and used again?).

Anyway, give it a go - no harm done in this process - just deleted
cached Google Earth data.

Start Google Earth, and as soon as the menu options are available, go
File, Server Signout.
Should be at a black screen now in the main window.
Then Tools, Options, and on the Cache tab, "Delete cache file".
(The other two options won't be availble into you sign back in. So do
that now; File, Server Sign In.
Hopefully Google Earth is already a *lot* better.
Then go back to the Options; Tools Options, and the Cache tab, and click
the "Clear memory cache" and "Clear disk cache".

Let us know if that works.

--
Duncan.
Old November 19th 13, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
teck48

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 8:41:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have been a heavy user of Google Earth for several years. Recently I have a problem that I have spent several hours trying to correct. When I log on to Google Earth, I always start in view that does not allow me to zoom in. The view controls at the upper right side of the screen are there but do not function. The wheel on the mouse works, but as I zoom in I end up looking over the horizon at a very flat angle. I have even tried removing the Google Earth program and reinstalling the program. All these problems are on my computer at home. The office computer works normally. Does anyone know what is going wrong?

Bill Snead

6W

I've experienced problems with the new google earth and have found an unlikely solution to a couple. GE seems very sensitive to what is plugged into any USB port. If you are having problems unplug everything save your keyboard and mouse. And I mean everything. Then test GE. If your problem has gone away, consider yourself lucky, and selectively replug. Worked for me. And once I'd sussed it out it worked on a couple other computers too --Tom
Old November 19th 13, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Is there a way to contact Google for help?
Bill Snead

Bill, there is no way to contact Google for help. Like most of the "too big to fail" Internet giants, you are on your own with their apps. It's very frustrating. There is a Google Earth users group and that is where I got my best information.
Tell us if Dave or Tom's information helped.
Old November 19th 13, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 06:59:37 -0800, teck48 wrote:

I've experienced problems with the new google earth and have found an
unlikely solution to a couple. GE seems very sensitive to what is
plugged into any USB port. If you are having problems unplug everything
save your keyboard and mouse. And I mean everything. Then test GE. If
your problem has gone away, consider yourself lucky, and selectively
replug. Worked for me. And once I'd sussed it out it worked on a couple
other computers too --Tom

I don't know if this helps, because I run Linux, not Winders, but the
version of GE I'm running, 5.2.1.1588, will only accept lat/lon co-
ordinates. If I put a place name in the
search box it just says "Invalid HTTP request". Fortunately, the
combination of Wikipedia and/or OpenStreet Map usually finds suitable co-
ordinates.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 20th 13, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dale Watkins

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:41:21 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I have been a heavy user of Google Earth for several years. Recently I have a problem that I have spent several hours trying to correct. When I log on to Google Earth, I always start in view that does not allow me to zoom in. The view controls at the upper right side of the screen are there but do not function. The wheel on the mouse works, but as I zoom in I end up looking over the horizon at a very flat angle. I have even tried removing the Google Earth program and reinstalling the program. All these problems are on my computer at home. The office computer works normally. Does anyone know what is going wrong?

Bill Snead

6W

do Files - Sign into Map Engine

Old November 21st 13, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:41:21 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I have been a heavy user of Google Earth for several years. Recently I have a problem that I have spent several hours trying to correct. When I log on to Google Earth, I always start in view that does not allow me to zoom in. The view controls at the upper right side of the screen are there but do not function. The wheel on the mouse works, but as I zoom in I end up looking over the horizon at a very flat angle. I have even tried removing the Google Earth program and reinstalling the program. All these problems are on my computer at home. The office computer works normally. Does anyone know what is going wrong?

I unplugged my Joy Stick that I use with Condor. Problem solved. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

Bill Snead
6W
Bill Snead

6W

What on (Google) Earth... ?? GM Soaring 9 March 28th 08 04:54 AM
Saw This On Google Earth John[_1_] Naval Aviation 3 January 27th 08 12:25 AM
Google Earth Frank Whiteley Soaring 3 November 16th 07 12:36 AM
Google Earth fun Al Denelsbeck Aviation Photos 4 January 11th 07 04:31 PM
Google Earth ttaylor at cc.usu.edu Soaring 8 September 22nd 05 12:07 PM