Powerflarm Butterfly rectangular display

Old September 1st 15, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Powerflarm Butterfly rectangular display

Anyone have the above item in good working order that wants to sell it inexpensively? I have broken mine (I think by kicking it while getting in). I see that Craggy Aero has discontinued them for different styles and Cumulus wants too much to order one. I will try and repair the one I have but looks like you may have to destroy it to get to the solder joints on the RJ12 connector.

CH (cliffhilty (at) NetZero (dot) net
Old September 1st 15, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

What are your symptoms ? Completely dead ? Intermittent ?
I have the rectangular display, but never opened it.
While the rotary encoder is mounted pretty flimsy, the RJ socket seemed to be mounted quite well in the backside.
I think that the RJ connectors in general are pretty poor connectors, but I would be very surprised if your problem would be a matter of broken RJ12 solder joints (unless you can clearly observe the RJ12 socket being loose)
Did you check the wiring, like the RJ12 plug ?
In my experience, the vast majority of glider electrical problems are wiring problems, particularly if you are kicking wires getting in and out of your glider.
You can check your display with the upload cable.
If you don't have (a friend with) the upload cable, you can easily build one from this example.
https://sites.google.com/site/threeu...terfly-display
You can also use a standard USB-to-RS232 serial cable (not USB-to-TTL) if you take care of the 3.3 Volt power supply separately.

3U

Old September 1st 15, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I am pretty sure that its the rotary knob as its pretty loose and doesn't do what it's supposed to do. The RJ12 connector is solid but when I push or wiggle the connector it will come on and off, however as I can do the same thing wiggling the knob I am not sure if it is not both I checked the wiring by borrowing another display and it works fine.
Old September 1st 15, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 8:11:27 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I am pretty sure that its the rotary knob as its pretty loose and doesn't do what it's supposed to do. The RJ12 connector is solid but when I push or wiggle the connector it will come on and off, however as I can do the same thing wiggling the knob I am not sure if it is not both I checked the wiring by borrowing another display and it works fine.

Cliff, I have exactly what you want and am ready to sell. Make me an offer..
You have my phone number, I believe.
Herb
Old September 2nd 15, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks everyone going to buy Herbs unit and try and fix mine too