Borgelt B700 variometer: Anyone with experience with this vario?

Old September 28th 17, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Borgelt B700 variometer: Anyone with experience with this vario?

Good day to All,

I currently fly c the Ilec SN10b computer and vario in my Ventus 2CXM. I would like to update the mechanical Winter vario to an electronic vario. I have been looking at the Westerboer 1010 and the Borgelt B700.
I do not want to replace the Ilec SN10 with another computer/vario combination, as that would be too great of a panel and plumbing job. I'd rather keep it simple by exchanging the Winter for a very good electronic vario. It does not need speed to fly and all the bells and whistles. Just a great electronic vario, preferably without the need of a total energy probe.
I called Sean Franke to discuss the Borgelt B700. He states that it only has a pneumatic connection for the TE probe, and does not need a capacity bottle to function. I've checked the installation manual by Borgelt, and that is indeed true.
The Westerboer needs only static and pitot to function. I understand the nature of this type of vario, but am stymied by the Borgelt.
Does anyone have experience with either of these varios? Recommendations?
Thanking you in advance for your inputs.

Old September 28th 17, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

See the post for the ClearNav and C302. A 302 would work well for what you want, it is very good in electronic compensation. It also provides a nice back-up logger.
Old September 28th 17, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I love my SN-10, but don't like any of the audio's.........I want up only audio. Can't stand an audio that never shuts up! When the audio comes on, it means I'm entering lift, when it goes off, it tells me I'm leaving the lift...........don't want or need anything else in climb or cruise mode. I have flown with the Borgelt 300 or 400 along with my 10 for years. The 400 and 700 have a Backup 6 volt battery. Nice feature, got me home the day my battery lead broke.
JJ
Old September 28th 17, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 5:10:09 PM UTC+3, wrote:
I love my SN-10, but don't like any of the audio's.........I want up only audio. Can't stand an audio that never shuts up! When the audio comes on, it means I'm entering lift, when it goes off, it tells me I'm leaving the lift...........don't want or need anything else in climb or cruise mode. I have flown with the Borgelt 300 or 400 along with my 10 for years. The 400 and 700 have a Backup 6 volt battery. Nice feature, got me home the day my battery lead broke.
JJ

Wouldn't severe sink be useful too? Or, really, faster/slower tones, with a large null band. Anyway, super easy to program, if you have the source code :-)

Come to think of it, there should be plenty of resources in modern electronic varios to allow the user to customise a lot of things in the user interface, using something like JavaScript (ugh -- but JerryScript for example doesn't need much memory) to wire together provided primitive functions.

Old September 28th 17, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 7:10:09 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I love my SN-10, but don't like any of the audio's.........I want up only audio. Can't stand an audio that never shuts up! When the audio comes on, it means I'm entering lift, when it goes off, it tells me I'm leaving the lift...........don't want or need anything else in climb or cruise mode. I have flown with the Borgelt 300 or 400 along with my 10 for years. The 400 and 700 have a Backup 6 volt battery. Nice feature, got me home the day my battery lead broke.
JJ

JJ et al:
The 302 is a good suggestion.
I installed an LX V3 with up-only audio set up as identical to CAI302 audio in our Duo. To me the existing SN10's audio is too noisy.
Jim
Old September 28th 17, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 10:10:09 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I love my SN-10......

Ahhh...

I want up only audio. Can't stand an audio that never shuts up!
...don't want or need anything else in climb or cruise mode.

Use the "KS no bad news" option for quiet in sink while in climb mode.
Stop flying too slowly in sink during cruise.
And stop circling in sink.

...got me home the day my battery lead broke.

JJ, that should never, ever happen.
You should have a serious chat with whomever is maintaining your glider.

See ya, Dave
Old September 28th 17, 10:13 PM
Skypilot Skypilot is offline
Member

Hi mate, you can't go wrong with a B700. Although I am not a gun pilot I have run B700's in my last two gliders. Coincidentally they have both run next two a B800 and B500 all singing all dancing gps, Cruz/clb, wind and PDA data. They perform exactly the same. What most people won't tell you (but Mike Borgelt will) is that the vario engine is exactly the same in the b700 and fancier varios. You can order the B700 in logarithmic and linea, I sort of like the logarithmic for weaker conditions. They come with battery back up and in 57mm so easy to fit. The battery backup is 4xaaa and you just replace them every annual inspection.

Adam Woolley had a B700 for sale cheap a while ago.

Justin

;956227]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2365.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	95686
Old September 29th 17, 08:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

I fly with a CAI as main and a VW1000 + battery pack as backup. Perfect.

Bert
Ventus cM "TW"
Old September 29th 17, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well, the broken battery lead was a factory made setup, they put the plug at the end of a 8" lead. Every time I hit a bump, it bounced up and down. Lasted a couple of years before breaking at the edge of a solder joint. I have tried the "always on" audio, with a good dead zone.........not for me, soon became meaningless background noise. Once found myself thermalling up a storm in sink! The thing was babbling up a storm, I was happy, it was happy, what the hell?
JJ
Old September 29th 17, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 9:10:09 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I love my SN-10, but don't like any of the audio's.........I want up only audio. Can't stand an audio that never shuts up! When the audio comes on, it means I'm entering lift, when it goes off, it tells me I'm leaving the lift...........don't want or need anything else in climb or cruise mode.

Which is an option in the SN-10's vario setup page, by the way.

Although I'm with you on the various available SN-10 audio sounds - prefer my Westerboer 1020 beeping, but it does not have a "quiet in sink" mode!

Oh, the first world problems we suffer...

Kirk
66

Borgelt B700 vario Blake Seese Soaring 0 February 4th 12 07:11 PM
Used Borgelt B40 Vario. [email protected] Soaring 0 September 21st 08 05:53 PM
Borgelt B50 Variometer Update No Name Soaring 1 April 24th 08 03:57 AM
Borgelt B2000 experience HL Falbaum Soaring 1 February 21st 07 03:38 PM
New Borgelt Vario! [email protected] Soaring 2 June 10th 05 03:45 PM