New Year's Day Trifecta

Old January 2nd 21, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default New Year's Day Trifecta

Patti and I started the day with a 2 hour flight in our Cessna 180K
followed by lunch and coffee. Then we made a 0.6 hour local flight in
the AG-915 gyro plane, and finished with a 0.7 hour local flight inn the
Stemme. I used the engine to climb to 10,000' MSL, 4,000' AGL). After
dropping to near 9,000' she found a thermal and climbed back to 10K.

A very satisfying way to start the new year!
--
Dan
5J
Old January 2nd 21, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 5:33:37 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
A very satisfying way to start the new year!

I hooked up with a Tucson Soaring Club CFI at El Tiro and we had a nice 40 minute flight in the G103 from a 2,300' tow. Now I'm checked out.

As soon as I find my %@&! batteries, I'll fly my ASW-27b. We've been in Tucson a couple months now and still a couple dozen moving boxes to go through. That's what I get for having help with packing... :-)

Oh, and your LS-6 did fly nicely, but I found the cockpit quite cramped compared to my ASW-20b.

5Z
Old January 2nd 21, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Semantics Michael

2.6 hrs in pure engine
0.7 hrs in hybrid engine (nice save Mrs. Dan)
Are we losing you?
Old January 2nd 21, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 1/1/21 6:24 PM, Semantics Michael wrote:
2.6 hrs in pure engine
0.7 hrs in hybrid engine (nice save Mrs. Dan)
Are we losing you?

Not yet, but the gyro is damn fun! More than one could imagine.
The Cessna is a traveler.
It was just getting late in the day. Perhaps I should have flown the
Stemme first.

--
Dan
5J
Old January 3rd 21, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 4:33:37 PM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
Patti and I started the day with a 2 hour flight in our Cessna 180K
followed by lunch and coffee. Then we made a 0.6 hour local flight in
the AG-915 gyro plane, and finished with a 0.7 hour local flight inn the
Stemme. I used the engine to climb to 10,000' MSL, 4,000' AGL). After
dropping to near 9,000' she found a thermal and climbed back to 10K.

A very satisfying way to start the new year!
--
Dan
5J

What kind of hangar do you have to store all of these toys?

Tom
Old January 4th 21, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 1/3/21 2:45 PM, 2G wrote:
On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 4:33:37 PM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
Patti and I started the day with a 2 hour flight in our Cessna 180K
followed by lunch and coffee. Then we made a 0.6 hour local flight in
the AG-915 gyro plane, and finished with a 0.7 hour local flight inn the
Stemme. I used the engine to climb to 10,000' MSL, 4,000' AGL). After
dropping to near 9,000' she found a thermal and climbed back to 10K.

A very satisfying way to start the new year!
--
Dan
5J

What kind of hangar do you have to store all of these toys?

Tom

Well, the hangar is about 88 feet wide by 45 feet deep. It has 4 x 21
foot doors that were poorly installed such that only two can be open at
a time. Depending on which two doors are opened, I can have a 42 foot
wide opening in the north, middle, or south sections of the hangar. The
Stemme and the C-180 are each about 37 feet wide.

So, with the south two doors open, I can push the Stemme (folded) in or
out. With the north two doors open I can push the 180 in or out. The
middle two doors allow access for the gyro which, at only about 5 feet
wide (with the rotor secured fore and aft) slides in between the two
winged ships with enough room to walk between any of them.

Hope this picture is viewable. https://link.shutterfly.com/Be9vQkM6Kcb
--
Dan
5J
Old January 4th 21, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 4:44:45 PM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 1/3/21 2:45 PM, 2G wrote:
[...]

Nice setup, doors and all!

Tom

NEW YEAR Vorsanger1 Soaring 1 December 31st 10 09:28 PM
OSH ...who's going this year? Montblack Piloting 69 July 19th 07 12:45 PM
OSH ...who's going this year? Montblack Home Built 72 July 19th 07 12:45 PM
OSH ...who's going this year? John T[_1_] Piloting 0 July 14th 07 02:26 PM
What to buy at OSH this year? Jay Honeck Owning 35 July 2nd 05 02:27 PM