Subaru magazine soaring article

Old March 20th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default Subaru magazine soaring article

http://www.mysubaru.com.au/symmetry/adventure1.htm
Old March 20th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

The caption calls the ship an ASW-28. Really? I think I've seen a
total of one 28, and then for just a brief moment, so I'm not really
suited for picking a 28 out of a crowd. But the sharp edges of the
canopy and the funny little bump out on the vertical fin right above
the TE probe, and the "old style" enlarged rudder make it look like
it's not a new Schleicher product.

Is it, in fact, a 28?

If not, what is it?

A Pegase? (I've never seen one of these birds.)

Curious

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old March 20th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Mar 20, 2:12*pm, rlovinggood wrote:
The caption calls the ship an ASW-28. *Really? *I think I've seen a
total of one 28, and then for just a brief moment, so I'm not really
suited for picking a 28 out of a crowd. *But the sharp edges of the
canopy and the funny little bump out on the vertical fin right above
the TE probe, and the "old style" enlarged rudder make it look like
it's not a new Schleicher product.

Is it, in fact, a 28?

If not, what is it?

A Pegase? (I've never seen one of these birds.)

Curious

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

On Mar 20, 1:50*pm, JS wrote:

http://www.mysubaru.com.au/symmetry/adventure1.htm- Hide quoted text -

Lak-12?

Kirk
66
Old March 20th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 20, 1:50 pm, JS wrote:

http://www.mysubaru.com.au/symmetry/adventure1.htm

Looks more like one of thos Lark 1-seaters, IS-29d or whatever.
Old March 20th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On Mar 20, 1:50 pm, JS wrote:

http://www.mysubaru.com.au/symmetry/adventure1.htm

Looks more like one of thos Lark 1-seaters, IS-29d or whatever.- Hide quoted text -

IS-29D

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/VH-GWC.html

Ain't google grand?

Pete
Old March 20th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Mar 20, 12:12 pm, rlovinggood wrote:

Is it, in fact, a 28?

Actually it's a 29. IS-29, or single place Lark.
And I should have posted that the link came from the Aus-Soaring
newsgroup.
Jim
Old March 20th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KevinFinke

I'm pretty sure the ship in question is the Lark IS-29D2 single place
all metal 15m span ship. It's a pet peeve of mine when they mix photos
with the wrong caption. Especially when the ASW 28 is a graceful ship.
The IS-29 isn't bad looking for a metal bird....

The Pegase looks more like an ASW19 or ASW20. There are some very
subtle differences in the vertical tail and horizontal and although
the wing area of the Pegase is the same as a 20, the planform and
airfoil are different.

Kevin Finke
Everett, WA
Old March 20th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 20, 12:12*pm, rlovinggood wrote:
The caption calls the ship an ASW-28. *
Is it, in fact, a 28?

If not, what is it?

I had a quick look at the article and I don't think the picture has a
caption. Adjacent to the picture are the specs for the ASW 28-18 with
a typo in the wingspan data. 5/18 M would give a very high wing

Andy
Old March 21st 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

5/18 M would give a very high wing loading!

Wow! Where do I get one?!

2NO
Old March 21st 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 20, 2:25*pm, KevinFinke wrote:
I'm pretty sure the ship in question is the Lark IS-29D2 single place
all metal 15m span ship. It's a pet peeve of mine when they mix photos
with the wrong caption. Especially when the ASW 28 is a graceful ship.
The IS-29 isn't bad looking for a metal bird....

The Pegase looks more like an ASW19 or ASW20. There are some very
subtle differences in the vertical tail and horizontal and although
the wing area of the Pegase is the same as a 20, the planform and
airfoil are different.

Kevin Finke
Everett, WA

From the third page: "Most modern gliders (or sailplanes) are made
from composite material and some fi breglass, but this old girl was a
big tinny"

Looks like you're right about the construction!