Tost brake bolt shears off

Old September 5th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Default Tost brake bolt shears off

Ineffective brakes is one thing. Brakes where bolts shear off during normal
use is a completely different category.

Mike Schumann

"Bruce" wrote in message
Anyone who relies on the ineffectual brake fitted to most older gliders is
an optimist of note.

On the 4.00 X 4 hub common to these aircraft you have a couple of square
centimetres of friction material, with non energising shoes trying to stop
around 300 - 350kg of glider moving at anything up to 100km/h. Most are
good for one retardation only, at best, then they fade severely.

In my experience, with a lot of fettling work one can achieve a brake that
is reliably weak - which is a whole lot better than the alternative. But
experience indicates that one should still discount it ever working
effectively in an emergency.

You would be distressed to see how much damage you can cause at walking
speed with a 15m single seater. Just think what a 26m+ motorised uber bug
smasher could do with all it's inertia. (although they tend to have
halfway decent disk brakes these days)

In any case the man has it right - Don't point your glider at anything you
intend to keep, especially on a downhill. There is no need to provoke
Murphy.

Mike Schumann wrote:
"never point the plane at anything valuable whilst expecting this brake
to stop it..."??????????
snip

Old September 8th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Chris Reed wrote:

I've never yet met a reliable glider wheel brake.

You should meet a glider with a Cleveland wheel and brake, like those
used on Schleicher gliders from the ASW 20 B/C and later. These are the
same brakes used on thousands of airplanes, and they are effective and
reliable.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old September 9th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Chris Reed wrote:

I've never yet met a reliable glider wheel brake.

You should meet a glider with a Cleveland wheel and brake, like those
used on Schleicher gliders from the ASW 20 B/C and later. These are the
same brakes used on thousands of airplanes, and they are effective and
reliable.

They're approved refits on some gliders in some countries: our (UK)
club's Puchacz was retro fitted with a Cleveland and now stops reliably
and the Williams SZD Junior also has a Cleveland brake and also stops.
This is something Juniors are not noted for with the standard brake.

Another advantage is the ease of brake adjustment.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 9th 07, 11:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Hi Eric - I have - but not one that fits a 4.00 by 4 ? If you know how there are
many who would benefit.

Bruce

Old September 10th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm

Anyone what the hydraulic disk brake system on the HpH 304C is? I had
trouble with one this past weekend -- right after having a shop
replace the inner tube. The owner's manual doesn't lend any light on
the issue.

Old September 10th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

304CZ hydraulic disk brake is TOST system as pictured on my website
sounds to me like maybe your mechanic made a boo-boo

tim

FS Tost E85 Release scooter Soaring 0 March 7th 06 02:31 AM
FS Tost E85 Release scooter Soaring 0 November 22nd 05 01:11 AM
TOST E85 RELEASES [email protected] Soaring 2 March 6th 05 04:21 PM
Cessna 182 Tost 337? [email protected] Soaring 6 May 15th 04 03:24 PM
Tost springs Lord Struthers Soaring 1 October 10th 03 10:49 PM