Looking for Libelle information.

Old June 25th 12, 11:43 PM
914Driver 914Driver is offline
Banned

Default Looking for Libelle information.

Hello all,

New guy here. I recently bought a Schuemanized Libelle and would like more information on these ships. I heard there were only nine manufactured, but I can't find that in writing anywhere. Because the nose is closed up (CG tow hook now) air into the cabin is slight, I'm curious how others have dealt with this.

If anyone here has information or a point of contact for these, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks, Dan
Old June 26th 12, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

air into the cabin is slight, I'm curious how others have dealt with this.

....guess it's only partly Shumanzed?

http://www.betsybyars.com/guy/soarin...ia/72-mod3.jpg -rudder
vent

http://www.betsybyars.com/guy/soarin...ia/72-mod4.jpg -NACA
inlet

http://www.betsybyars.com/guy/soarin.../72-modif.html -main
article

-Paul

ps. the tail is not an ideal spot to vent from on most ships, and a
terrible spot on others

Old June 26th 12, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sarah[_2_]

Check in with the "type club" over he
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/libellesailplanes/

I bet there are people who can answer any questions there.

--
914Driver

Old June 26th 12, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 25, 2012 6:43:58 PM UTC-4, 914Driver wrote:
Hello all,

New guy here. I recently bought a Schuemanized Libelle and would like
more information on these ships. I heard there were only nine
manufactured, but I can't find that in writing anywhere. Because the
nose is closed up (CG tow hook now) air into the cabin is slight, I'm
curious how others have dealt with this.

If anyone here has information or a point of contact for these, I'd love
to hear from you.

Thanks, Dan

--
914Driver

To clarify, are you looking to increase ventilation in the cockpit or decrease any existing airleaks?
Old June 26th 12, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Jun 25, 5:43*pm, 914Driver
wrote:
Hello all,

New guy here. *I recently bought a Schuemanized Libelle and would like
more information on these ships. *I heard there were only nine
manufactured, but I can't find that in writing anywhere. *Because the
nose is closed up (CG tow hook now) air into the cabin is slight, I'm
curious how others have dealt with this.

If anyone here has information or a point of contact for these, I'd love
to hear from you.

Thanks, Dan

--
914Driver

Hi Dan,

Well, there is really only one Schuemannized Libelle. And it belongs
to the National Soaring Museum. There are others that have had some
of the mods, or similar modifications, done to them. Guessing you got
N301J? Entirely different canopy setup on that one, so I am not sure
how you will get more air in the cockpit. Wil modified his to bring
air in through the wheel well. New doors, re-contourned belly with
the doors forming the outer part of the scoop. I understand the
ventilation in it was not as good until you got off tow and retracted
the gear. Then, it was more than adequate. Suggestion would be to
get a sliding side window with pop out air scoop fitted. Either to
the aft, hinged portion, or maybe even the forward, fixed portion.
You could always install the tracks so the window slides forward to
open if you install it on the fixed portion.

Have fun with that bird. I almost bought it but decided I would stick
with the highly modified Libelle I already have.

Steve Leonard
N366W
Old June 26th 12, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Monday, June 25, 2012 3:43:58 PM UTC-7, 914Driver wrote:
Hello all,

New guy here. I recently bought a Schuemanized Libelle and would like
more information on these ships. I heard there were only nine
manufactured, but I can't find that in writing anywhere. Because the
nose is closed up (CG tow hook now) air into the cabin is slight, I'm
curious how others have dealt with this.

If anyone here has information or a point of contact for these, I'd love
to hear from you.

Thanks, Dan

--
914Driver

Dan,
If you bought N301J, I have carnal knowledge of her!
JJ
Old June 26th 12, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:51:57 PM UTC-7, JJ Sinclair wrote:
On Monday, June 25, 2012 3:43:58 PM UTC-7, 914Driver wrote:
Hello all,

New guy here. I recently bought a Schuemanized Libelle and would like
more information on these ships. I heard there were only nine
manufactured, but I can't find that in writing anywhere. Because the
nose is closed up (CG tow hook now) air into the cabin is slight, I'm
curious how others have dealt with this.

If anyone here has information or a point of contact for these, I'd love
to hear from you.

Thanks, Dan

--
914Driver

Dan,
If you bought N301J, I have carnal knowledge of her!
JJ

Yikes. I could have done without that mental image.

Darryl
Old June 26th 12, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:51:57 PM UTC-4, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Dan,
If you bought N301J, I have carnal knowledge of her!
JJ

Nose hook or CG hook?

-John
Old June 27th 12, 12:41 AM
914Driver 914Driver is offline
Banned

Thank you Steve. I'm not altering anything, just researching. I am VERY happy with the ship and you should see how the trailer cleaned up!

Agreed, there is only one Schuemannize Libelle, mine is a JJ Sinclair. Where may I find others of similar tastes? How many others are there and who may be keeping track?

This is probably the last glider I'll ever buy.

Dan

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...n/IMG_0428.jpg

Last edited by 914Driver : June 27th 12 at 12:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old June 27th 12, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Jun 26, 6:41*pm, 914Driver
wrote:
Thank you Steve. *I'm not altering anything, just researching. *I am
VERY happy with the ship and you should see how the trailer cleaned up!

Agreed, there is only one Schuemannize Libelle, mine is a JJ Sinclair.
Where may I find others of similar tastes? *How many others are there
and who may be keeping track?

This is probably the last glider I'll ever buy.

Dan

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...n/IMG_0428.jpg

--
914Driver

Hi Dan,

Looks nice. I can only think of one or two others that got the pointy
nose, so I am not sure how many got some other form of cockpit
ventilation. I think serial 55 (formerly N767M) had a pointy nose.
It went to Canada. There was one I remember seeing for sale recently
that had a pointy nose. Seller has high and low profile canopies for
the plane. I think it, too, is in Canada. Can't find the ad now. I
think all the rest still have the round nose and air vent.

JJ is on here, and he can tell you how it was for him.

Enjoy the bird. Should be a great flyer!

Steve

Libelle Canopy Tom Watson Soaring 4 February 27th 12 11:59 PM
FS: Libelle 201b Tim Hanke Soaring 8 May 6th 09 12:18 AM
Standard Libelle Pam Kurstjens Soaring 4 May 22nd 05 05:40 PM
Libelle owners f.blair Soaring 1 June 23rd 04 03:05 AM
Libelle Gap Sealing Owain Walters Soaring 4 April 11th 04 07:13 PM