TE probe up or down?

Old September 26th 10, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default TE probe up or down?

It's raining at the field today so here is a serious soaring question
to ponder:

Should the end of the TE probe on the fin point up or down?

Informal surveys at recent contests seem to show a slight preference
for up (not counting those "swingers" that go both ways).

I've heard all sorts of reasons why each orientation is best - angle
of attack during pull-ups, airflow in front of the tail, G-effects on
the air column, blah blah blah...

I point mine up so I don't snag it when taking off the tail dolly!

Comments?

Kirk
Wet in IL
Old September 26th 10, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sep 26, 3:13*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
It's raining at the field today so here is a serious soaring question
to ponder:

Should the end of the TE probe on the fin point up or down?

Informal surveys at recent contests seem to show a slight preference
for up (not counting those "swingers" that go both ways).

I've heard all sorts of reasons why each orientation is best - angle
of attack during pull-ups, airflow in front of the tail, G-effects on
the air column, blah blah blah...

I point mine up so I don't snag it when taking off the tail dolly!

Comments?

Kirk
Wet in IL

Up. as far awat from effects of the wing (and tail) as possible.
Except on some sailplanes where down works better.

See ya, Dave "YO electric"
Old September 26th 10, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
johngalloway[_2_]

On 26 Sep, 20:13, "kirk.stant" wrote:
It's raining at the field today so here is a serious soaring question
to ponder:

Should the end of the TE probe on the fin point up or down?

Informal surveys at recent contests seem to show a slight preference
for up (not counting those "swingers" that go both ways).

I've heard all sorts of reasons why each orientation is best - angle
of attack during pull-ups, airflow in front of the tail, G-effects on
the air column, blah blah blah...

I point mine up so I don't snag it when taking off the tail dolly!

Comments?

Kirk
Wet in IL

From Rudy Brozel's classic article on total energy:

"The head of the probe should be as close as possible to the plane of
symmetry of the horizontal tail plane. The smaller the vertical
offset, the less the elevator affects the variometer. A vertical
distance over half the depth of the horizontal tail plane is very
bad!"

http://www.nadler.com/sn10/Brozel_TE...n_20020510.pdf

John Galloway
Old September 26th 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Sep 26, 12:57*pm, johngalloway wrote:
On 26 Sep, 20:13, "kirk.stant" wrote:

It's raining at the field today so here is a serious soaring question
to ponder:

Should the end of the TE probe on the fin point up or down?

Informal surveys at recent contests seem to show a slight preference
for up (not counting those "swingers" that go both ways).

I've heard all sorts of reasons why each orientation is best - angle
of attack during pull-ups, airflow in front of the tail, G-effects on
the air column, blah blah blah...

I point mine up so I don't snag it when taking off the tail dolly!

Comments?

Kirk
Wet in IL

From Rudy Brozel's classic article on total energy:

"The head of the probe should be as close as possible to the plane of
symmetry of the horizontal tail plane. The smaller the vertical
offset, the less the elevator affects the variometer. A vertical
distance over half the depth of the horizontal tail plane is very
bad!"

http://www.nadler.com/sn10/Brozel_TE...n_20020510.pdf

John Galloway

if I have mine up (which I prefer) it gets close to the plane the
pitot tube is in..................would that possible disrupt the flow
for the pitot?

Brad
Old September 26th 10, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

I point mine up so I don't snag it when taking off the tail dolly!

I thought it best to point it whichever direction will keep it as
perpendicular to the airstream it's reading from for as much of the
flight regime as possible, in an attempt to keep the flow within
+/-20deg to keep the probe from reading erroneously.

Mine points down, and is really short too! I have a cruciform
tail though, so I don't get probe envy since it's well clear of the
bow wake of the tailplane. In fact I prefer it this way and well...
at least my vario tells me size doesn't matter

-Paul

Old September 26th 10, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Sep 26, 12:13*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
It's raining at the field today so here is a serious soaring question
to ponder:

Why be so limited in your thinking? What's wrong with sideways?
Then you can ponder which of those 2 options depending on you
thermalling direction preference.

I point mine up so I'm less likely to bend it.

Andy

Old September 27th 10, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

To state the obvious: Male pilots prefer up.
Old September 27th 10, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

When I had a TE probe installed on my Ka-6E I ask Roger Frank the posting subject question. He responded immediately "it should be UP!! Otherwise some jerk will hang their hat on it."

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://tinyurl.com/N990-6F

Ka-6 TE Probe vontresc Soaring 14 August 30th 08 03:17 AM
Probe problem smf Home Built 3 July 8th 07 01:29 PM
TE Probe on ASW-15 [email protected] Soaring 4 April 29th 07 01:43 AM
Multi - probe KP Soaring 1 March 7th 05 06:03 PM
TE-Probe for 1-26D Heinz Gehlhaar Soaring 6 January 17th 05 10:52 PM