N482BG / C-GHMY Jantar Standard 2 history request

Old December 15th 10, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lynn

Default N482BG / C-GHMY Jantar Standard 2 history request

I recently was high bidder at a bankruptcy auction in Ohio for the
subject sailplane and trailer. I took a chance on it as I live 1000
miles away and only became aware of the sale some 20 hours before
closing. All I could get out of the auctioneer was it did not appear
to be broken! Got my bid in 10 minutes before closing (Wednesday 12/8
10:30 am), remained high bidder til closing. I immediately started
driving from Dallas to Cinncinati area trying to make the round trip
before the bad weather was to arrive. Arrived the next day around noon
and found the following: Visual on the glider showed no apparent
damage and actually looked very nice from a look around while in the
trailer. Log book showed 271 flights and 421 hours total. Last flying
was summer 2000 out of Caesar Creek. Apparently was kept in the
trailer at the airport for 10 years! The trailer tags were long
expired, the taillights damaged with only one actually working
properly. The tires could not be trusted having sat for so long
outdoors, so I replaced them after 10 miles of towing, checked and
repacked the bearings. Thought about getting a trip permit but was
told the B.of M.V. was some distance away in the wrong direction and
as it was close to closing time, didn't feel I would be successful
that day. Blizzard conditions were on the way and another day's wait
might not be advisable. Tried to fix the bad light but was
unsuccessful after one hour of work at a trailer repair place. They
suggested getting temporary lights with magnetic base--its an aluminum
trailer!! Decided to go for it and headed south stopping at dusk.
Arrived home Friday evening safely. After putting the glider in my
shop and examining it closely I found it is missing seat belts and the
pin for connecting the horizontal stabilizer to the fin. Also no
battery pack. I will order a new pin shortly but perhaps someone out
there knows the previous owner and can put me in contact on the chance
he still has it. Any info on why it was not used for ten years would
be appreciated, as well. It was register in the U.S.A. for 1999 and
2000. Previously registered in Canada and flown primarily out of
Chemung. Lynn
Old December 15th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

On Dec 15, 10:57*am, lynn wrote:
[...]

Congratulations, I posted a request for info on RAS a few days for
before the auction closed and got no response from anyone. Someone
should know the history on this ship! Have you tried calling the
registered owner? Were you able to get a bill of sale?

Lane
XF
Old December 15th 10, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

On Dec 15, 11:20*am, lanebush wrote:
On Dec 15, 10:57*am, lynn wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I just saw your post on my previous thread. Again,
congratulations. I hope you get here flying.

Lane
Old December 15th 10, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

On Dec 15, 10:57*am, lynn wrote:

[...]

I just saw your reply to my earlier post. Congratulations, I hope
you have many hours of enjoyment with her.

Lane
Old December 15th 10, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

The fellow who bought it in 1999 is still listed on the FAA website:

http://tinyurl.com/2afy3yr

On 12/15/2010 8:20 AM, lanebush wrote:
On Dec 15, 10:57 am, wrote:
I recently was high bidder at a bankruptcy auction in Ohio for the
subject sailplane and trailer.

[stuff omitted]

Old December 15th 10, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Dec 15, 10:08*am, Greg Arnold wrote:
The fellow who bought it in 1999 is still listed on the FAA website:

http://tinyurl.com/2afy3yr

He's stilled listed as an active SSA member also.

Old December 15th 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lynn

On Dec 15, 11:48*am, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Dec 15, 10:08*am, Greg Arnold wrote: The fellow who bought it in 1999 is still listed on the FAA website:

http://tinyurl.com/2afy3yr

He's stilled listed as an active SSA member also.

I have tried all avenues I know of to reach him but all phone numbers
are disconnected and an email address I obtained from a Caesar Creek
member has not been answered. Lynn
Old December 15th 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 12/15/2010 10:57 AM, lynn wrote:
[...]

Can we ask how much you paid for this glider? Just curious what kind of
deals there are to be had at these types of auctions.

--
Mike Schumann
Old December 15th 10, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lynn

On Dec 15, 1:20*pm, Mike Schumann
wrote:
[...]

Mike Schumann- Hide quoted text -

$7,100 plus buyer fee of 15% totals to $8165 as is. Trailer tires had
to be replaced and the trailer wiring and lights also (Schreder type
aluminum trailer in good shape). Need seat belts and tail pin. The pin
is obtainable but have not been quoted a price yet. It has a Filser
DX50AI GPS NAV/vario with data logger unit, Rico vario, Dittel ATR 720
Comm radio, altimeter, PZL vario, PZL compass, and A/S. No microphone.
No parachute. Condition of the glider appears very good. Lynn
Old December 15th 10, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

$7,100 plus buyer fee of 15% totals to $8165 as is. Trailer tires had
to be replaced and the trailer wiring and lights also (Schreder type
aluminum trailer in good shape). Need seat belts and tail pin. The pin
is obtainable but have not been quoted a price yet. It has a Filser
DX50AI GPS NAV/vario with data logger unit, Rico vario, Dittel ATR 720
Comm radio, altimeter, PZL vario, PZL compass, and A/S. No microphone.
No parachute. Condition of the glider appears very good. Lynn

nice! you are an inspiration to us all.

Jantar Standard Canopy jmarc Soaring 9 August 22nd 17 04:13 AM
WTB: Standard Jantar or ASW-19 Kevin Christner Soaring 2 January 9th 11 05:51 PM
Standard Jantar 48-3 & One-Man Assembly John[_27_] Soaring 6 July 20th 10 02:31 PM
Cockpit sizes of standard Jantar goneill Soaring 2 December 28th 03 11:29 AM
Jantar Standard 3 Miguel Lavalle Soaring 9 November 19th 03 12:01 AM