"Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

Old September 1st 19, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default "Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

On Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 9:31:41 AM UTC-7, Linar Yusupov wrote:
Folks,

you are breaking spears while trying to decide if this foreign DIY open source and hardware project (targeted to global worldwide audience) is applicable for North America and it's specific local regulations...

Why wouldn't you break spears as hard as you do here when discussing applicability of another DIY project - Stratux ( http://stratux.me ) ?

Why? Because your project is quite different that Stratux even before getting into the weeds of any FCC discussion. Trying to compare your stuff to Stratux where the only intentional radiator part is a bluetooth transmitter, already on a FCC approved Raspberry Pi board seems a little bit incongruous.. Your project seems to be using a non-FCC approved RF transmitter components--but if there are component you are recommending that are FCC approved it would be great to let folks know. Either way I'll stand behind the self-built exclusion protection for folks building things themselves. If component suppliers are not meeting FCC requirements, that is largely their problem. You are just supplying ideas, and last time I checked ideas are supposed to be relatively free in the USA. It would be different if you were marketing or selling assemblies or kits in the USA.

But for the FCC side show here...

Both kits and complete product are commercially available for sale in North America.

I am curious to know:
1) does Stratux device have FCC ID ?

That devices may not necessarily need an FCC ID (obtained by FCC certification). If *might* be possible to meet by a Supplier Statement of Conformity (SDoc), and that would not show up with an FCC ID. One complication likely is with the intentional radiator part (the Bluetooth transmitter on the Raspberry Pi board). Those boards are already FCC approved-but unclear to me if that then pushes the whole assembly to require certification of if you can use an SDoC (normally not used for intentional radiators). And likely that whole assembly may not be able to use the transport/automotive/aircraft exclusion because it contains an intentional radiator.

But I would not be surprised if none of this stuff sold as assemblies or kits properly meets even FCC SDoC requirements. Just eyeballing the lack of RF shielding in any of these things I doubt they would pass spurious radiation requirements.

2) does this particular commercial Stratux radio has FCC ID:

https://www.amazon.com/Stratux-UATRa.../dp/B07JNSHCLQ ?

That's a receiver, not an intentional radiator and even if there is an FCC requirement there it seems it could be addressed by SDoC (e.g. from a USA based importer) not FCC certification.

If any of this bothers anybody they can file an FCC complaint, or maybe ask folks like Amazon where the SDoC is for the devices being sold on their web site... and if there is not one they might pull the units from sale. Is that what you want?

3) how this commercial "intentional radiator" (TI CC1310 RF IC based) comply with FCC, provided that it is in use for transmitting weather on 915 MHz ISM band:

http://canada.stratux.me/ ?

Eh? That's Canada. Last time I checked FCC regulations did not apply there. But dear God, that 1 W transceiver USB dongle looks pretty suspect.

Old September 2nd 19, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan Foster

On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 11:28:56 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, August 27, 2019 at 12:41:35 PM UTC-7, Jonathan Foster wrote:
On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 8:20:55 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 7:48:03 AM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:52:12 PM UTC-8, Linar Yusupov wrote:
вторник, 30 октября 2018 г., 11:35:04 UTC+3 пользователь Linar Yusupov написал:
Will this device work with iGlide on IOS?

AirConnect compatible Wi-Fi connection service is active in the firmware's source code since October 9th.
Known to work good with SkyDemon, Air Nav Pro.
You could let us know if it works with iGlide too.

AirConnect compatible Wi-Fi connection service is a part of most recent firmware update.

Release notes:
https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/releases/tag/1.0-rc6

I'm on the fence to add Flarm or something like this thread is all about to my glider in the upcoming off season. Any news or comment how this system is working presently would be appreciated.

You only need to ask these people ONE question: have you received (or even applied for) FCC approval?

If they can't answer this question affirmatively, don't walk, run from them.

Tom

Tom, not trying to start an argument, but I am wondering why you have made this conclusion. I am under the assumption that Flarm uses unlicensed spectrum to transmit.

Jonathan,

Well, then, you would be WRONG! FCC approval is mandatory for many very good reasons: unlicensed operators can be (perhaps inadvertently) interfering with other services, including vital aircraft and emergency services.

I was hoping you would provide some sort of evidence to support your claims, all I am seeing is an opinion. Which, is fine, just state it like that and it isn't backed by facts. Once again, I am not trying to be rude, I like to discuss facts.