Diana-2 - master-piece or flop?

Old June 19th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default Diana-2: is there a serial number >3?

Tim: I have correspondence from HpH stating that they are not making
the 304S in 15m, and have no plans to, and that that the 304SE is a
"drawing only". Ergo, my original statement is completely
true(assuming of course that the factory have not changed their mind).

2NO (Gollywomper II on order)

Old June 19th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

Having spoken directly to HpH the comment there was that of the gliders sold
to day (something near 20 at this point) none had been sold with 15M
wingtips but if there was interest enough they would still be able to offer
them as an option, though none had been made or tested at this time. The
304s is designed optimally as an 18M glider and shortening the span and
reducing performance isn't what most are looking for...the 304SE would be
the glider for those who still want a 15M glider, but it will not be
convertible to 18M..this glider is still planned but will be offered
sometime at a later date ....
So if there are enough orders for 304s with optional 15m wingtips (all will
still be sold as 18M gliders) I'm sure HpH will make the option
available....but for a serious 15M racer the 304SE is the glider.
tim

Old June 19th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tommytoyz

Schleicher are developing the ASH 30 Mi which will have 26.5 M
wingspan and has better high speed creuise, though the wing loading is
still not as high as say 15 or 18 m ships.

The EB28 is already flying and has better performance than the ASH
25.

I find it intriguing that the Diana-2 has such high performance at low
speeds, that it matches the 18m ships in slow max LD glide and
probably kills them heavily ballasted at high speeds. It's probably
better than any open ship loaded at high speed as well.

One of the reasons is because it can load it's wings to 58KG per SQ M
- which is higher than any ship I am aware of.

Until other manufacturers go to sparless wings, the Diana-2 will
retain this advantage, IMHO.

I found it interesting to read recently that the very first glass ship
- the Phoenix - was also a sparless design and was light as a feather
as well. In those days, it was thought that the better the ship
climbed the faster it went cross country. The Phoenix never had any
structural issues and was a sound design.

So really, the Diana-2 is just back to the beginning and nothing new.
Wish I could afford one..............in my dreams I can..........

Old June 20th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

tommytoyz wrote:

So really, the Diana-2 is just back to the beginning and nothing new.
Wish I could afford one..............in my dreams I can..........

I think they're just beautiful in their sorta-weird way. With that tiny boom
and the kinda clunky looking empennage and the ellipse wing.
It really is a sexy machine.
My problem is two-fold. Not enough dough to spend right now... and at 6'3"
and 230#, they say I would need some olive oil and a shoehorn to get in and
outtta one. O_o

Old June 20th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tommytoyz

"at 6'3" and 230#, they say I would need some olive oil and a shoehorn
to get in and
outtta one."

I don't think that is necessarily true. It is wider at the shoulders
than even the Ventus 2b. It does have a more prone position than most
gliders though. If I read correctly, the stick position can be made to
accommodate the new owner's body and arm length.

I think Bill put it that the most important factor is the length of
your body, relative from your tailbone to your head. So should someone
be as tall as you, but have relatively short legs, that's where the
fitting problems are in the Diana-2.

If you have broad shoulders, it shouldn't be more of a problem than in
any other ship, as the Diana-2 is wider than several. I sat - or
rather laid - in it, and I like it. I love the side stick and can only
imagine it being very relaxing to fly. Also love the very large DG
style canopy.

Maybe some day...........

Old June 20th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote in message
tommytoyz wrote:

So really, the Diana-2 is just back to the beginning and nothing new.
Wish I could afford one..............in my dreams I can..........

I think they're just beautiful in their sorta-weird way. With that tiny
boom
and the kinda clunky looking empennage and the ellipse wing.

I think it looks a lot like a T-tail version of Dick Schreder's RS-15.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/RS-15/C-GPUB.html

Old June 21st 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

tommytoyz wrote:
"at 6'3" and 230#, they say I would need some olive oil and a shoehorn
to get in and
outtta one."

I don't think that is necessarily true. It is wider at the shoulders
than even the Ventus 2b. It does have a more prone position than most
gliders though. If I read correctly, the stick position can be made to
accommodate the new owner's body and arm length.

Thanks for that. I have yet to even see one at the field. Would love a chance
to take one out for a ride... oil/shoehorn or not. ; )

Old July 10th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan G

On Jun 19, 9:00 am, Dan G wrote:
On Jun 19, 4:31 am, "BlueCumulus" wrote:

Do you need a better reference?

Look up reference in a dictionary, then come back and give us one.

Quite by chance I've found one myself:

"DISTURBING NEWS ABOUT THE DIANA 2 Czech Republic pilot, Hana Zejdova
who has set some 26 world records has just upgraded to a new Diana 2.
I have been informed that her sailplane has been grounded at Tocumwal,
Australia. At certain speeds, it pulls in one direction, and has to
be slowed down to straighten it up. The sailplane has other in-flight
problems requiring attention. Australians that have flown the
sailplane have been less than impressed with its handling qualities."

http://www.glidingmagazine.com/NewsArticle.asp?id=1605 , posted July 4
2007.

That's sufficiently different from what's been posted here for me to
be sure that it isn't simply based on this thread. So yes, it does
indeed look like that at least one Diana 2 has big problems.

Dan

master warning Kevin Simulators 1 July 27th 06 07:28 PM
unported flop tube jasonlee Aerobatics 1 June 1st 06 03:23 PM
Master Buss Bar? ccwillwerth Home Built 18 January 20th 06 03:32 AM
Master Switch Lakeview Bill Piloting 23 July 20th 05 01:46 AM
Master Jet Base MICHAEL OLEARY Naval Aviation 24 April 22nd 05 07:00 AM