GPS-NAV security sealing

Old August 28th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

Default GPS-NAV security sealing

On Aug 27, 6:47*am, Richard wrote:
On Aug 26, 9:09*pm, Sam Discusflyer wrote:

Yes these are all good answers. And yes I let the battery get low. And you
change the lithium battery while it's hooked up to external supply. But
no I don't use the GPS_NAV display so the voltage doesn't show all the
time. And it will be less cost if I ship through the post office. And no
offense to the vendors.

In this age of computers and rising fuel costs and shipping costs plus
insurance, isn't it possible to make better use of technology and provide
for security sealing by computer communication? *We transfer money
electronically don't we? A lot of people have done electronic payments
right? *You can give control of your PC to someone over the internet and
they can run a software program on their computer to load a device hooked
up to your computer. And so me average joe doesn't have the key program
to cheat (like I really want to anyway). I know this communication is
possible because I've done it. *

So why is it not possible to hook up the GPS unit to the PC connected to
the internet, connect with the key master and load the serial #? *

You can still pay the $20 or $40 dollar cost to the proprieter with paypal
or visa and both parties are happy.

I guess I still have to support Brown Company anyway. Thanks for the
discussion.

Steve Michalik

At 03:24 27 August 2008, HL Falbaum wrote:

"Paul Remde" *wrote in message
Hi,

Yes, it is possible to change the backup battery without breaking the
seal. Just keep the unit powered with 12V power while replacing the
backup
battery.

The customer that started this thread had the backup battery get too

low

and die before it was replaced. *The unit then had a security failure
and
needs re-sealing.

Paul Remde

"Fred Blair" *wrote in message
Can't you change the internal battery before it gets real low without
breaking the seal?

*wrote in message

On Aug 25, 10:54 pm, Sam Discusflyer
wrote:
Is there a way to input a security code in a Cambridge GPS_NAV and
seal
it
without spending hundreds of dollars?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Steve Michalik

Exact cost for 1 day turnaround by Gary at NK the week before last

was
$130 including memory battery , calibration chart,and next day return
delivery.
My experience is that this is excellent service for a very fair

price.
Certainly not the "hundreds of dollars" you seem to anticipate.
UH

The old Cambridge DOS program for the PC * reads the voltage of the

backup

battery. The Cambridge Nav head also shows the backup voltage upon
power-up.
It pay to obsesrve this from time to time.

Hartley Falbaum
USA- Hide quoted text -

Sam,

I provide calibration for $60 + $40 to reset seal = $100 + shipping.
My Standard turn is 1 day. *If I receive today I will ship back
tomorrow. *I find that many customers appreciate this service as they
can save $ on shipping by using US Priotiy Mail or FEDEX Saver.

I would replace the battery every year. *They are inexpensive.
Powering the recorder while replacing the battery does not break the
electronic security seal. *Take the top cover GPS Antenna off while
the recorder is powered and replace the battery. *Use a CR2330
battery, this is 5mm thicker than the recommended battery BR or CR
2325, and insures good contact.

http://www.craggyaero.com/calibration.htm

Thanks

Richardwww.craggyaero.com- Hide quoted text -

Sorry forgot the decimal point on the 5mm, it is really .5 mm
thicker.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old August 29th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Verhulst

ContestID67 wrote:
..The recalibration process is to put the recorder into a
barometric (hyperbaric) chamber.....

Surely you meant hypobaric.

Tony V.