Parachute 20 year limit

Old December 3rd 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Parachute 20 year limit

I have a security chute that is older than twenty years of
experience. Are you guys finding that the repackers are refusing to
recertify past twenty years? Seems the manufacturers have put out
service bulletins recomending twenty year service limits. I am
interested in getting this chute repacked if possible. Please let me
know of anyone that might inspect this chute. Preferably near
Atlanta, GA.
Old December 3rd 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Dec 3, 8:34*am, wrote:
I have a security chute that is older than twenty years of
experience. *Are you guys finding that the repackers are refusing to
recertify past twenty years? *Seems the manufacturers have put out
service bulletins recomending twenty year service limits. *I am
interested in getting this chute repacked if possible. *Please let me
know of anyone that might inspect this chute. *Preferably near
Atlanta, GA.

The thing is, while it is not an FAA mandate, (the 20yr thing...) the
individual packer who certifies it as airworthy has their butt almost
as much on the line as yours is while wearing it, and studies have
shown that 20 yrs of normal use/exposure is approaching the safe
working life limits of the materials. I've heard of 20 yr old
containers that look perfect, with perfect looking canopies that you
can easily jab a finger through. IMO parachutes are just jot a good
arena to skimp in...

-Paul
Old December 3rd 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flying_monkey

On Dec 3, 11:34*am, wrote:
I have a security chute that is older than twenty years of
experience. *Are you guys finding that the repackers are refusing to
recertify past twenty years? *Seems the manufacturers have put out
service bulletins recomending twenty year service limits. *I am
interested in getting this chute repacked if possible. *Please let me
know of anyone that might inspect this chute. *Preferably near
Atlanta, GA.

Don't know anything around Atlanta, but I do know that Mark of
Kutztown Parachutes, in Kutztown, PA will repack it, if it's
airworthy. He'll do a pull test, which stresses the fabric of the
canopy in several randomly chosen areas. My 20+-year-old security
passed with ease. When I popped the chute as a test before he
repacked it, it looked like brand new material in the canopy. The
enclosure and harness were a bit dirty in places, but nothing
affecting the strength.

Good luck,
Ed
Old December 3rd 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

A good rigger will acknowledge the age but give the equipment a
recommendation based on proper stress tests that are a routine part of
the inspection & repack procedure. Even young materials can be
compromised by excess moisture, sunlight, and the dreaded feline
territorial marking liquid.

Well cared for equipment can last a surprisingly long time. If you
think yours is good and your rigger can only point at its age in
rejecting it, get a second opinion.

~ted/2NO
Old December 3rd 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
qflyer1

On Dec 3, 11:34*am, wrote:
I have a security chute that is older than twenty years of
experience. *Are you guys finding that the repackers are refusing to
recertify past twenty years? *Seems the manufacturers have put out
service bulletins recomending twenty year service limits. *I am
interested in getting this chute repacked if possible. *Please let me
know of anyone that might inspect this chute. *Preferably near
Atlanta, GA.

In Atlanta, go see Red Payne at Flight Concepts
770-279-7733 - Norcross
He works on pilot rigs on Fridays

He knows his stuff. Does the rigging for MGSA.
My Strong chute is approaching 20 years and he says it's still in good
shape.

Cheers,
Tim
1FL
Old December 3rd 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

At 17:29 03 December 2008, Tuno wrote:
A good rigger will acknowledge the age but give the equipment a
recommendation based on proper stress tests that are a routine part of
the inspection & repack procedure. Even young materials can be
compromised by excess moisture, sunlight, and the dreaded feline
territorial marking liquid.

Well cared for equipment can last a surprisingly long time. If you
think yours is good and your rigger can only point at its age in
rejecting it, get a second opinion.

~ted/2NO

That accords with the opinion given by the article "The rest of the
answers" by Bob Gilmour on the Strong website. See the last paragraph
headed "What is the life of my parachute system?"

http://www.strongparachutes.com/page...stOfTheAnswers

John Galloway
Old December 3rd 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I called Red. Red reports twenty years is max age that he will repack
regardless of condition. Seems like a very good fellow to know for my
repacks once I get a newer chute.

Lane
Old December 3rd 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou

A good part of the 20 year lifespan ruse is because pilot rigs haven't
changed in well over 20 years. Tossing a parachute by age is no
different then grounding gliders by age.
Old December 3rd 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

qflyer1 wrote:
On Dec 3, 11:34 am, wrote:
I have a security chute that is older than twenty years of
experience. Are you guys finding that the repackers are refusing to
recertify past twenty years? Seems the manufacturers have put out
service bulletins recomending twenty year service limits. I am
interested in getting this chute repacked if possible. Please let me
know of anyone that might inspect this chute. Preferably near
Atlanta, GA.

In Atlanta, go see Red Payne at Flight Concepts
770-279-7733 - Norcross
He works on pilot rigs on Fridays

He knows his stuff. Does the rigging for MGSA.
My Strong chute is approaching 20 years and he says it's still in good
shape.

Cheers,
Tim
1FL

My rigger finally said - "last time I will repack that" on my pioneer
tri-conical. Pioneer stated that their product has no life limit. It
dates from 1974 and has passed it's tests to date. He is concerned that
after all these (34) years the porosity and hence descent rate will be
increasing.

This is a long way past the 20 year life. Tested annually for condition.

If you trust the guy with your life when he packs it - best you listen
when he says - it looks perfect, fabric is strong and clean, but is it
safe - Apparently the answer is NO!

I am in the market for a new one.

Bruce
Old December 3rd 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum[_2_]

"Bruce" wrote in message
qflyer1 wrote:
On Dec 3, 11:34 am, wrote:
[...]

Consider this--amortized over 20 years, a new chute is cheap insurance. You
will spend more on repacks if you do it as the law requires. Ask this--if
you have to jump, and your old chute fails, how good will you feel about how
much you saved? If you could get a brand new one right then, would you write
the check on the way down?

Hartley Falbaum
USA "KF"

limit of trim = limit of travel? Mxsmanic Piloting 251 May 11th 08 07:58 PM
The Sky is Their Limit [email protected] Soaring 7 November 13th 06 03:44 AM
Pegasus life limit Mark628CA Soaring 2 March 30th 06 10:37 PM
Aft CG limit(s) Andy Durbin Soaring 13 November 26th 03 06:10 AM
Pushing the limit Dan Shackelford Military Aviation 20 September 14th 03 10:27 PM