Got the itch...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 18th 03, 02:40 AM
Bill Kambic

"Chris Spierings" wrote in message

Snipped for brevity

I've got time in a few GA planes. For the money an Aeronca 7AC is a
nice and simple plane. The third wheel is in the right spot too.
Prices are still relatively low for decent ones and parts aren't too
hard to find. I've got time in two of them locally, one an 7AC and the
other an L-16. Pretty economical in terms of fuel use too. It can be
embarassing though to be doing IFR (I follow roads)in a Champ and having
cars pass you by.

Damn, talk about a trip down memory lane!

I took lessons at McKinley Field near Detroit during the summer of '64.
They had two Champs, IIRC, a 65 hp and a 90 hp (I would have to dig out my
old log books to check the numbers). The 65 hp bird had no electrical
system and air-ground comm was open the window and yell (and they could hear
you; and you could hear them GG).

The 90 hp bird had an electrical system, a "coffee grinder" VHF comm VOR
receiver. Was the preferred cross country bird for students. While it had
an electrical system, it did not have an electric starter. You either had
to get "propped" or you could use a ingenious "ratchet" system. By the
pilot's left leg there was a large handle that connected to a gear at the
nose of the engine. You could do the "switch off-contact" routine all by
yourself. Took a pretty good pull.

When they got a C150, just before I took my test, it was seen as the Bently
of trainers (it had a crystal controlled nav/comm AND an electric starter).

Damn, sometimes I feel old.g

Bill Kambic

If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or
unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist,
culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, localist, ageist, lookist, ableist,
sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist, ethnocentrist,
phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other violation of the rules of
political correctness, known or unknown, I am not sorry and I encourage you
to get over it.