CRJ crash at KLEX:

Old August 28th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Beavis[_1_]

Default CRJ crash at KLEX:

In article ,
Bush wrote:

6:10 PM the National Transportation Safety Board confirmed that
the Comair flight was assigned departure from runway 22, however
departed runway 26 (3500 ft.) since it was closer to the terminal.

That's a ridiculous assertion.

Jees they'll let anyone fly them.

Ah, so you're just a troll, then. Carry on.
Old August 28th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Bush wrote:
6:10 PM the National Transportation Safety Board confirmed that
the Comair flight was assigned departure from runway 22, however
departed runway 26 (3500 ft.) since it was closer to the terminal.
Accelerate-stop for this A/C at this weight should be some 5356 feet.
Jees they'll let anyone fly them.

"It is that large chain of events, with no intervening variable, that
produces the accident"

Bush

Must be nice to have all the answers...because I'm sure YOU'VE never
made a mistake.

Old August 28th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Emily wrote:
6:10 PM the National Transportation Safety Board confirmed that
the Comair flight was assigned departure from runway 22, however
departed runway 26 (3500 ft.) since it was closer to the terminal.
Accelerate-stop for this A/C at this weight should be some 5356 feet.
Jees they'll let anyone fly them.

"It is that large chain of events, with no intervening variable, that
produces the accident"

Bush

Must be nice to have all the answers...because I'm sure YOU'VE never
made a mistake.

The guy may be a troll, but it does appear that the flight crew used the
wrong runway. When you make such a critical error and kill 49 people,
it's a bit more serious than an average "mistake."

JKG
Old August 28th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

Jonathan Goodish wrote:
In article ,

The guy may be a troll, but it does appear that the flight crew used the
wrong runway. When you make such a critical error and kill 49 people,
it's a bit more serious than an average "mistake."

And it does seem to be a "chain of events" in that there were multiple
ways that they may have been able to spot the mistake:
- runway sign
- runway numbers
- DG heading
- 75 ft wide rwy versus 150 ft

Tragic indeed. Prayers for all.

Marco

Old August 28th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee

Jonathan Goodish wrote:

In article ,
Emily wrote:
6:10 PM the National Transportation Safety Board confirmed that
the Comair flight was assigned departure from runway 22, however
departed runway 26 (3500 ft.) since it was closer to the terminal.
Accelerate-stop for this A/C at this weight should be some 5356 feet.
Jees they'll let anyone fly them.

"It is that large chain of events, with no intervening variable, that
produces the accident"

Bush

Must be nice to have all the answers...because I'm sure YOU'VE never
made a mistake.

The guy may be a troll, but it does appear that the flight crew used the
wrong runway. When you make such a critical error and kill 49 people,
it's a bit more serious than an average "mistake."

Does not sound like a troll. If factual it was a horrific mistake. I
suspect that the reason for the crash will be known soon.

Ron Lee
Old August 28th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jonathan Goodish wrote:
In article ,
Emily wrote:
6:10 PM the National Transportation Safety Board confirmed that
the Comair flight was assigned departure from runway 22, however
departed runway 26 (3500 ft.) since it was closer to the terminal.
Accelerate-stop for this A/C at this weight should be some 5356 feet.
Jees they'll let anyone fly them.

"It is that large chain of events, with no intervening variable, that
produces the accident"

Bush

Must be nice to have all the answers...because I'm sure YOU'VE never
made a mistake.

The guy may be a troll, but it does appear that the flight crew used the
wrong runway. When you make such a critical error and kill 49 people,
it's a bit more serious than an average "mistake."

Of course, but how many times have you made a mistake that but for blind
luck DIDN'T kill you? Having known pilots that have killed more than 49
people, I guess I can just stop blaming and be grateful that it's never
happened to me. It only takes one small mistake and that's you all over
the news.
Old August 28th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee

The guy may be a troll, but it does appear that the flight crew used the
wrong runway. When you make such a critical error and kill 49 people,
it's a bit more serious than an average "mistake."

Of course, but how many times have you made a mistake that but for blind
luck DIDN'T kill you? Having known pilots that have killed more than 49
people, I guess I can just stop blaming and be grateful that it's never
happened to me. It only takes one small mistake and that's you all over
the news.

There are TWO pilots.

Ron Lee

Old August 28th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Emily wrote:
Of course, but how many times have you made a mistake that but for blind
luck DIDN'T kill you? Having known pilots that have killed more than 49
people, I guess I can just stop blaming and be grateful that it's never
happened to me. It only takes one small mistake and that's you all over
the news.

Actually, the flight crew would have had to ignore or overlook several
opportunities to identify their location and runway in order to make
this mistake--it was no small mistake. Small mistakes don't kill you,
unless you allow enough of them to compound over a short period of time.

As for your question about my judgment, thankfully, so far, it's been
good, and that's why I'm still alive. If I had to depend on "luck" to
keep me safe in an airplane, I wouldn't fly. However, accidents such as
this one demonstrate why careful consideration and good judgment are so
important in aviation.

JKG
Old August 28th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jonathan Goodish wrote:
In article ,
Emily wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I'm standing by my thought that you can't criticize their
mistakes until you've been in that situation. Blame has no place in
something like this....but I'm coming at this as someone who analyzes
mistakes for a living.