winglet weight

Old November 11th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default winglet weight

I just made a set of winglets using 7725 and a core material called
Soric SF. I used the resin infusion process. The other day I bonded
the skins together and a few days later, with much excitment, I split
the molds apart and liberated the parts.

I gotta say, these are some nice looking parts, they are incredibly
stiff even prior to the spar being added.

Here is my question. These winglets include the transition plus the
blade, and right now w/o the closeout rib, spar tube and other doo-
dads weigh less than 2 pounds.

Any of you guys with similar topology winglets know what yours weigh?
The LS-8 winglets come to mind, as well as the DG-300 winglets.

Thanks!
Brad
Old November 11th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 11, 12:13*pm, Brad wrote:
I just made a set of winglets using 7725 and a core material called
Soric SF. I used the resin infusion process. The other day I bonded
the skins together and a few days later, with much excitment, I split
the molds apart and liberated the parts.

I gotta say, these are some nice looking parts, they are incredibly
stiff even prior to the spar being added.

Here is my question. These winglets include the transition plus the
blade, and right now w/o the closeout rib, spar tube and other doo-
dads weigh less than 2 pounds.

Any of you guys with similar topology winglets know what yours weigh?
The LS-8 winglets come to mind, as well as the DG-300 winglets.

Thanks!
Brad

FWIW
My ASW-24 winglet, 20 inch span, 5 1/2 mean chord, finished with root
rib, mounting
pins, etc come in at or below 15 oz. Contact me privately if you wish
to share.
UH
Old November 11th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo

Finished 2.5 lb each. 22" high, mean chord ~ 7.5", major chord 18".
Check it out.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...t/Winglets.htm
Udo

Old November 12th 08, 10:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gavin Short[_2_]

On Nov 11, 12:13=A0pm, Brad wrote:
I just made a set of winglets using 7725 and a core material called
Soric SF. I used the resin infusion process. The other day I bonded
the skins together and a few days later, with much excitment, I split
the molds apart and liberated the parts.

I gotta say, these are some nice looking parts, they are incredibly
stiff even prior to the spar being added.

Here is my question. These winglets include the transition plus the
blade, and right now w/o the closeout rib, spar tube and other doo-
dads weigh less than 2 pounds.

Any of you guys with similar topology winglets know what yours weigh?
The LS-8 winglets come to mind, as well as the DG-300 winglets.

Thanks!
Brad

Std Cirrus with approved winglets from Schempp-Hirth and a
reprofiling/regelling of the leading edges added just over 1 Kg to each
wing.

See
http://www.standardcirrus.org/ click on the photo at the bottom right of
the page.

Gavin
Std Cirrus, CNN now G-SCNN, #173
LSV Viersen, Keiheuvel, Belgium
Old November 15th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Thanks for the replies all. I should be right in the weight fuzzband
by the time I get all the internals in place on the winglet. I am also
configuring for the 18m tip extension, so whatever I do to the winglet
attach will need to be skookum enough for the extension.

Cheers,
Brad