Too many accidents

Old September 14th 18, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan Walker

Default Too many accidents

Just to correct a couple of misconceptions about the ASK21 and spinning.

It WILL spin without the use of a spin kit, it just needs a rearward CofG.
Normally (but not always) with an instructor on board the CofG will be to
far forward but once the pupil goes solo then that can be a very different
matter! Any talk that an aircraft is unspinable is the type of thing that
can lull trainees into a false sense of security.

As for the comment that it make a good spin trainer with the spin weights I
would have to disagree. Its spin entry and recovery are inconsistent even
at the same CofG. If you look at the updated flight manual even the spin
recovery is non-standard. Note the point that says
"Warning: Fall forward stick may retard or even prevent spin recovery"

https://www.alexander-schleicher.de/..._TM23_E_HB.pdf

If your not careful you are training pilots with a recovery technique that
will not work for all other aircraft.

At 08:41 14 September 2018, Steve Thompson wrote:
Referring to the ASK21 TM4b, publicly available on the
AS site. I see on page 4 : "By following the spin ballast
table a c.g. of approx. 406 mm (16 inch) is set in for the
flight."

As far as I can tell from other data, this is not the aft
limit. I believe the aft limit is 469mm.

The USAF spinning tests are well documented in the
technical note flight manual and discusses inertia effects
as well as just CG position effects. 406mm is aft enough.

At 23:32 13 September 2018, Andreas Maurer wrote:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 08:56:05 -0700 (PDT), krasw
wrote:

maanantai 10. syyskuuta 2018 16.54.53 UTC+3

kirjoitti:
Un-spinable? You might want to watch this and look

up the USAF report
conducted on the spin characteristics of the ASK-21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXH6XDxQdPY

ASK21 is unspinable unless you equip with spin kit

designed to move cg
well aft of normal limits. Without this kit you cannot

spin 21.

One addition:
The spin weights put the CG to the normal aft limit, but

not beyond
it.
This is the same CG that you would have if a light pilot

flies without
a copilot.

With the spin weights the ASK-21 is an excellent spin

trainer.

Cheers
Andreas

Old September 14th 18, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le vendredi 14 septembre 2018 14:30:05 UTC+2, Jonathan Walker a écritÂ*:
[...]

I agree with this. With the spin kit, spin entry is not at all like what you would see with an LS4, LS8 or Discus (which can be brought into a spin with the nose not much above the horizon. And I don't like the fact that recovery is non-standard. If the student uses the wrong technique, you will do 3-4 more turns after you've taken over controls. For that reasin, I don't do spin training with the ask below 1000 m AGL.
Old September 14th 18, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

So...Â* If you'll only train spins in an aircraft with a "standard"
recovery, what's a solo pilot to do when he encounters a "non-standard"
spin recovery requirement?Â* This sounds to me like something is lacking...

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 14th 18, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 12:27:44 +0000, Jonathan Walker
wrote:

As for the comment that it make a good spin trainer with the spin weights I
would have to disagree. Its spin entry and recovery are inconsistent even
at the same CofG. If you look at the updated flight manual even the spin
recovery is non-standard. Note the point that says
"Warning: Fall forward stick may retard or even prevent spin recovery"

https://www.alexander-schleicher.de/..._TM23_E_HB.pdf

If your not careful you are training pilots with a recovery technique that
will not work for all other aircraft.

So far I have always taught the standard spin recovery - stick neutral
(!!), full opposite rudder, wait, recover. Works for all the gliders
I've flown so far (60+) and I cannot remember any halfways modern
glider where a different procedure is suggested.

Of course, spin entry is not as violent as in other gliders, but in my
opinion is is reasonably easy to give a valid demonstration.

Cheers
Andreas
Old September 14th 18, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I just reread the previous post that I responded to and see that the
poster only mentioned a higher altitude requirement to teach spins in
that aircraft, not only teaching in that aircraft.

So... If you'll only train spins in an aircraft with a "standard"

Old September 15th 18, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

This accident was 8/22/2018, departure field KSEE, aircraft N# 1682G, cotanria 7KCAB
Old September 15th 18, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Here is a clip of an inadvertent glider stall. It appears the pilot immediatly puts in opposite aileron (not recommended). Can't see enough leg motion to see his rudder input or elevator control. He is very quick to dump the positive flaps (I assume that's what it shows), which is good technique I might have forgot. His text edit of the proper sequence of inputs looks fine.. Kudos to him for sharing.
Old September 15th 18, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

https://youtu.be/PpJA53LjarM?t=119