Sun Ship Game on Youtube - Complete

Old March 3rd 18, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Sun Ship Game on Youtube - Complete

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 10:17:33 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:

I clicked on the first link, got to Youtube with a black screen, and the
message, "This video is unavailable.

I posted those videos 9 years ago, and then was "requested" by the copyright holder to remove them.

Guy Byars

Old March 3rd 18, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

On Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 8:37:35 PM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:
I think Gleb still lives in Durango Colorado.

He and his wife, for a long time, ran a jewlery store there, and for a
while Gleb was active in their soaring club, giving instruction.

To add to his online RAS resume, Gleb was also a top fashion
photographer in NYC, his ex-wife Ruth, a fashion model. And for those
who remember, was the guy who shot the Alka Seltzer "On the Rocks"
commercial.

On Sep 8, 9:15Â*pm, Whiskey Delta wrote:
Most of us know more about George Moffat and what his life in soaring
was like after the Marfa Nationals, but what became of Gleb
Derujinsky? Â*Other than what we know from the movie, does anyone know
what Gleb went on to do? Â*Did he continue to soar? Â*Is he still
flying?

WD

one of my great pleasures in gliding was to fly in the 3rd Standard Nationals at Marfa in 1972. I was flying the only metal glider a 1-34, actually had pilots laugh at me for doing that. On one day as we were leaving the Marfa area on task Gleb dumped his water on me in a weak thermal. I continued on and eventually beat him home, he was flying a Standard Cirrus I believe. I finished 38 of 62 beating 23 glass ships. Gleb was truly a "character" and I will always remember his larger than life persona.

gary kemp

Old March 6th 18, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, August 17, 2009 at 11:07:45 AM UTC-5, Guy Byars wrote:
Many of us remember major events of the summer of 1969: Haight-
Ashbury, Manson, Woodstock, Apollo-Moon, Chappaquiddick. But a lot
was also going on that summer in a small town in southern Texas...
Marfa!

To commemorate the 40th anniversary of the 1969 US Soaring Nationals
in Marfa TX, I have put the entire movie "The Sun Ship Game" on
youtube.

Some notes about the movie on youtube:

To get under the 10 minute limit, the movie is broken into 8
parts.

The original movie had numerous musical tracks from the BeeGees. I
had to mute/remove these for youtube. Youtube has a very clever music
scanner that flagged them as copyright violations. So you will
experience silence instead of the BeeGee tracks. No major loss.

In some places, the audio and video get out of sync by a second or
so. But since most of the dialog is in the form of voiceovers, this
is not a serious problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSj_POL6u0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACpksxkyOTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvQU4OqqVxc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eenw-cueqio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae14HGvxSgc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfzMYIcrTMA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KCT5-lyw8g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzJmNSdA1u4

screen said unavaible when i clicked on it
Old March 6th 18, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

screen said unavaible when i clicked on it

That is because they were removed years ago at the request of the copyright holder.

Old March 6th 18, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Yet another peep that did a search for something, found a thread, didn't read the whole thread, then was "less than satisfied" when they couldn't follow a link.

The reason, for the broken link, has been covered already.

Banghead......

Old March 7th 18, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Morgan

screen said unavaible when i clicked on it

After reading this thread, a quick search revealed a seller on eBay. So, I ordered it. About $33 with shipping.
Old March 7th 18, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

I sell legal DVDs he
http://cumulus-soaring.com/videos.htm#SunShipGame

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old February 15th 19, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, September 11, 2009 at 9:41:49 PM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

I have a link on my Soaring Links page "Theory, Equations & Spreadsheets" to
a site in Melbourne (link below) which includes a program to calculate and
plot a Stocker final glide calculator as described in Helmut Reichmann's
book Cross Country Soaring.
http://www.gliding-in-melbourne.org/resource.htm

More interesting links are he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/soaring_links/theory.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

"Bob Gibbons" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:30:34 -0700 (PDT), Mike Bamberg
wrote:

... text deleted...
Actually no, it's not an e-6b. I have one of the circular glide
computers from that era, set up for a 301 Libelle. There are several
versions but the one I have has a side to place a sectional chart (or
portion of one) and a spiral set of lines to show glide distance into
a headwind. You twist the correct line over your current location and
I think it indicates the correct altitude for final glide, or some
combination thereof.

If someone is really interested I can post pictures on my website. m
l b ( at ) m i k e b a m b e r g . c o m (remove the spaces, replace
the at) drop me a line and I'll go through the effort.

Mike

I presented a paper at the 1991 OSTIV meeting detailing a software
program, written in HP BASIC, to compute the required parameters and
plot the graphic overlay for this type of final glide computer, which
Helmut Reichmann called a "Stocker" calculator. On my copy of
Reichmann's "Cross Country Soaring", the descirption of the computer
is on page 120.

The program I wrote was designed to drive an HP plotter which
generated an overlay what would be printed on a transparency and
overlaid on top of a sectional map.

If anyone is interested in ancient historical artifacts, send me an
email and I'll forward a copy of the paper.

Bob

At the time of the Marfa contest I was a young Glider pilot/tow pilot/dingy sailor I had a share in a KA-8. Gliding was like having fallen head over heels - in-love, like all stories worth their salt - there was a girl - yes she was as sweet as the summer breeze and bent just as sweetly. Gliding was/is - a mental sport, like being in love with a young woman. Mr Moffat made me think- Gliding is mental and intellectual, Thinking about what the heck is the weather doing now !! the high cirrus is moving in and cutting the heating on the ground - if i dont think quickly in a couple of minutes I will have to find a patch to land this thing... Ups I fell out of the core - my god I can smell the engine of the farmer thrashing the field below - what is my McCready ring setting for this head wind every minute or two - think - what next - and after that? this was George's expressed glider flying tactics... I learned to practice in my Ka-8 - and that girl ? she let me fly her fathers Libelle - she was graceful, when we danced - she moved with a inimitable grace - her waist curve was a sweet line that held you in a trance oh, what magnificent moment to be with you !! Ka8 dont be jealous.

Old February 17th 19, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've watched The Sun Ship Game probably a dozen times in my life but finally bought a copy to play for friends. I agree with Juan Mandelbaum that we should honor the copyright and purchase a copy from Amazon.

Having said that, I wish this would get picked up by Netflix or Amazon Prime and made available to the masses.

Maybe a successful producer and screen-writer will team-up again to make a movie that appeals to the masses, which incorporates soaring as a major theme in the movie and includes eccentric characters and a plot that would move an audience. Jimmy Chin (Meru; Free Solo), if you're reading this, please e-mail me :-)

- Chris Schrader

Hello Game Lovers, Welcome to the money game world ss Soaring 0 May 17th 09 02:02 PM
OLC and YouTube Paul Cordell Soaring 0 January 4th 08 08:59 PM
For Sale, King Avionics, Complete ship set removed from P210 Al G[_1_] Aviation Marketplace 0 February 26th 07 11:38 PM
The Sun Ship Game and the 1969 US Nationals Jon Clarke Soaring 2 April 17th 06 03:02 AM
Sun Ship Game Video [email protected] Soaring 1 February 18th 05 07:18 PM