Glasflugel AD

Old November 5th 11, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

Default Glasflugel AD

EASA have issued an AD - 2011-0213 for inspection of the elevator push
rod on pretty much all designs from the Libelle onwards.

The AD lists "Kestrel" as one of the affected types. My question is -
does this apply to the Slingsby built Kestrels - do I have to take my
T59 apart?

Will do so anyway for it's annual airworthiness test , but would be nice
to know if I have to replace bits before I get there...

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771
Old November 5th 11, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 19:20:45 +0200, BruceGreeff wrote:

EASA have issued an AD - 2011-0213 for inspection of the elevator push
rod on pretty much all designs from the Libelle onwards:

- all BS1, Club Libelle 205, Hornets, Mosquitos, Kestrels,
all 304s except B, C and CZ variants - so far, so good.

All these are T-tail gliders: the AD photos show that its the vertical
push-rod in the fin that's being checked, so that all makes sense.

- In addition, two specific aircraft are mentioned:

Std. Libelle H.201b s/n 169
Libelle 203,
Std. Libelle H.204 s/n 1

The 203 (2 built) and 204 (1 built) are presumably prototypes for a
Libelle replacement, but what about the H.201b, s/n 169. Does anybody
know anything about these three variants? I'm curious.

The AD lists "Kestrel" as one of the affected types. My question is -
does this apply to the Slingsby built Kestrels - do I have to take my
T59 apart?

Glasfaser says it applies to all Kestrels, type 401.
The BGA doesn't say anything different. The copy of the AD 2011-0213,
http://ad.easa.europa.eu/blob/easa_a...AD_2011-0213_1
referenced from the BGA website has additional notes about a few specific
gliders identified by s/n over the range 86-125.

Since Slingsby built the T.59 under license, I'd guess that the type
certificate holder is Glasfaser, who took over maintenance for all
Glasflugel gliders when the original outfit folded. The AD directs all
queries, etc. to Glasfaser.

Will do so anyway for it's annual airworthiness test , but would be nice
to know if I have to replace bits before I get there...

As the type certificate holder appears to be Glasfaser, your best bet
would be to ask them. I've found them to be friendly and helpful when
I've needed to contact them:

http://www.streifly.de/

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 6th 11, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 20:31:33 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie
wrote:

.... text deleted
Glasfaser says it applies to all Kestrels, type 401.
The BGA doesn't say anything different. The copy of the AD 2011-0213,
http://ad.easa.europa.eu/blob/easa_a...AD_2011-0213_1
referenced from the BGA website has additional notes about a few specific
gliders identified by s/n over the range 86-125.

.... text deleted

Looking at the EASA AD cited, this looks very similar to the problem
Schempp-Hirth experienced in the 1992-93 time frame with all of their
ships with elevators driven by a pushrod in the vertical tail; Ventus,
Nimbus, Janus, Discus, Mini-Nimbus.

See: TM Nr. 349-16.
http://www.schempp-hirth.com/fileadm...49-16-1592.pdf
http://www.schempp-hirth.com/fileadm...49-16-1590.pdf

In the SH case, the water apparently got into the vertical pushrod in
a similar manner, though a small inspection hole in the pushrod, in
this case through a leaking top sealing bellows.

My recollection from that time is that most everyone replaced the
vertical pushrod. I believe many SH ships of that era still bare the
small hole in the left side of the vertical tail required to access
the push rod securing nut, I know mine does.

Again, based on the EASA note and the Schempp-Hirth experience, this
should only effect ships with a top mounted elevator and a vertical
pushrod in the tail (T-tail designs).

Bob
Ventus C
Old November 6th 11, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 22:02:21 -0500, Bob Gibbons wrote:

Again, based on the EASA note and the Schempp-Hirth experience, this
should only effect ships with a top mounted elevator and a vertical
pushrod in the tail (T-tail designs).

Agreed, which makes its applicability to the one Std. Libelle, H.201b,
s/n 169 particularly intriguing.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 7th 11, 11:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
stephanevdv

On Nov 6, 1:51*pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 22:02:21 -0500, Bob Gibbons wrote:
Again, based on the EASA note and the Schempp-Hirth experience, this
should only effect ships with a top mounted elevator and a vertical
pushrod in the tail (T-tail designs).

Agreed, which makes its applicability to the one Std. Libelle, H.201b,
s/n 169 particularly intriguing.

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org * * * |

S/n 169 was a one-of-a-kind Libelle with T-tail, made for Eugen
Aeberli, one of the three "fathers" of the Libelle (Hänle, Hütter,
Aeberli).

Changes compared to H201: - rounded fuselage beam - T-tail - 5 cm
broader cockpit - contoured wing/fuselage transition - flat canopy, as
for H301 "open class" Libelle. Water ballast and winglets added later.
The glider was built in 1970 as a kind of prototype for the H 205/206.
Flies in Ettenheim in Baden-Württemberg. Source: http://libelle.bugwiper..com/freaks.htm
..
Old November 7th 11, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

I sent an e-mail to Glasfaser, as I also have a T59D. Here is the response I received:
____________________
Hello,

from us the T 59 Kestrel is not affected.
Our company is not the TC holder and all other infos you
can find on our homepage www.streifly.de

Best regards
H. Streifeneder
____________________

Begs the question: who is the TC holder for Slingsby Kestrels?
Old November 7th 11, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Dickson[_2_]

At 12:37 07 November 2011, C-FFKQ 42 wrote:
___

Begs the question: who is the TC holder for Slingsby Kestrels?

Slingsby are.

Old November 7th 11, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

Thank you, Mark.

I have contacted Slingsby regarding the Kestrels and received the following reply:
_______
At the moment we support the T59 series of gliders.

Slingsby issued a TI on the same subject in 1987, I attach a .pdf file copy of TI 106/T59 for your reference.

Note we do not supply spares but do sell drawings for any spare parts that customers may require.

Best Regards

Mike Rutter
Airworthiness Coordinator
____________________
Old November 8th 11, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 02:08:04 -0800, stephanevdv wrote:

S/n 169 was a one-of-a-kind Libelle with T-tail, made for Eugen Aeberli,
one of the three "fathers" of the Libelle (Hänle, Hütter,
Aeberli).

Changes compared to H201: - rounded fuselage beam - T-tail - 5 cm
broader cockpit - contoured wing/fuselage transition - flat canopy, as
for H301 "open class" Libelle. Water ballast and winglets added later.
The glider was built in 1970 as a kind of prototype for the H 205/206.
Flies in Ettenheim in Baden-Württemberg. Source:
http://libelle.bugwiper.com/freaks.htm .

Thanks for the information.

Were its airbrakes improved at all? I'd think that would be a good idea
since it probably doesn't shed height in a slip as well without the
teardrop boom cross section.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK