AOPA credit card --- WARNING.

Old November 26th 04, 06:11 AM
Mike V.

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
"RS" wrote in news:m3opd.97109$5K2.54232@attbi_s03:

If you have an AOPA/MBNA credit card then you should check the APR on
your last statements. MBNA has been raising the APR on AOPA
cardholders, even if you pay on time.

Even if you pay on time? I always paid each month in full and was never
charged a red cent. Do you have a reference to back up your claim?

People are really not too smart around here. Paying on time means paying at
least the minimum payment, on time.

From what I hear, MBNA recently changed a bunch of AOPA customers from fixed
interest rate to variable with a fine print clause which basically said..
"we are changing you to variable rate unless you send us letter of objection
within X days". And when people called MBNA to find out whether this meant a
rate change was coming, they said "NO" on the phone... but a rate change was
instituted anyway

Old November 26th 04, 07:29 AM
Blanche

Jay Beckman wrote:
If I had to buy $2K worth of anything to get a job, I'd be much more worried
about which column they'd go in for the deduction off my taxes.

Unreimbursed Employee Expenses
IIRC, Form 2701 off the Schedule A

Old November 26th 04, 08:03 AM
Jay Beckman

"Blanche" wrote in message
Jay Beckman wrote:
If I had to buy $2K worth of anything to get a job, I'd be much more
worried
about which column they'd go in for the deduction off my taxes.

Unreimbursed Employee Expenses
IIRC, Form 2701 off the Schedule A

LOL...

I knew someone would offer up the exact information...

Jay

Old November 26th 04, 09:57 AM
Earl Grieda

Don't confuse Matt with the truth. He is still trying to convince people
that our 18th century founding fathers felt that any 21st century alcoholic
with an assault rifle is a member of some nebulous "militia".

Earl G

"mike regish" wrote in message
Yeah. Like Bush has taken full responsibility for getting us into Iraq

under
wrong and false pretenses. Wasn't HIS fault. It was bad intel.

Yeah...that's
it...bad intel. That's the ticket.

Oh...wait...Bush isn't a liberal, is he?

Get back on your meds, Matt.

mike regish

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Casey, you obviously don't understand liberals. They feel that they
shouldn't have to take responsibility for their actions, but rather be
protected and looked after by the government.

Matt

Old November 26th 04, 01:17 PM
Rich

I've wondered that too. We put everything we buy (even my daughter's
college tuition) on our Discover (and pay it off next month, of course)
and get the cashback discount. Keep a Visa and American Express for the
few places that don't take Discover (like Costco).

I always figured that Discover charges the merchant more than Visa...
but your posting suggests otherwise.

Rich

Jay Honeck wrote:

Here's another credit card mystery: Why the hell does ANYONE use any card
but Discover? Everyone else charges to use their cards, while Discover
actually PAYS you to use their card -- yet they are a distant third or
fourth in the industry.

Old November 26th 04, 01:19 PM
Just go look it up!

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 02:58:02 GMT, "Steven Barnes"
wrote:

Discover is nasty about this. My ex is in debt up to her @$$. One card is a
Discover. Cash advances were at a horrific 20-30%. Purchases were lower, but
still in high teens. Majority of balance was purchases. She had money to pay
off the cash advance portion, since that was eating her alive. Dickscover
wouldn't allow it. "Pay off the purchase balance first, then you can pay off
the cash advance portion". She wont have the purchase stuff paid off for
years. Great income for Dickscover.

Discover is just nasty.

I moved. Called Discover to change my address. Got 2 statements with
the new address, then didn't notice I didn't get a statement, then
next month got a statement which showed a $42 30 day overdue balance.
I called them to figure out what was going on and they sent me a
reprint of the statement, which had the old address on it. No idea
why the post office didn't forward it, but I digress. After griping
to them about a late column entry because of their mistake they
basically told me to take a leap. Couple of months later I picked up
my credit report and found that they had actually reported me as 30
day late on a whopping $42 balance because they mailed the statement
to the wrong address, even though their computer had done statements
to the correct one in the intervening period. Then, even though it
was their fault and I had never carried a balance before that month,
they refused to remove the entry from my credit report. I closed my
account on the spot.
Old November 26th 04, 01:25 PM
Rich

Well, the rate on an auto or home loan is fixed by the contract, silly!
Or else it is specifically bound by the contract to whatever
increases that are in the contract. Just like the rate on your credit
card is variable according to the contract you signed when you applied.
You DID read what you agreed to, didn't you? If you didn't agree with
it, why did you sign the application?

BTW, in fact I do not have ANY debt outstanding. It's fun to tell that
to people calling offering re-financing. I'm not rich (except in
name)... just frugal.

And frankly, I don't care whether I impress you. Frankly, you don't
impress me, much.

Rich

RS wrote:

What would you do if they hiked the APR on your auto or home loan just
because they felt like it, even if you had a perfect payment history? Well,
that's what the credit card companys are doing now - they are changing the
rules mid-stream. Credit is credit - regardless what it is for. You guys on
your high moral horses about paying credit cards off every month do not
impress me (unless you have zero credit - no home, auto, commercial loans at
all).

Old November 26th 04, 01:25 PM
David Lesher

(Paul Tomblin) writes:

In a previous article, "RS" said:
If you have an AOPA/MBNA credit card then you should check the APR on your
last statements. MBNA has been raising the APR on AOPA cardholders, even if
you pay on time.

Anybody who carries a balance on any credit card is an idiot or a sucker.
The credit card companies hate me because I haven't paid a cent of
interest to any of them in 3 years. I get about 5 envelopes full of Visa
checks every month (as well as come-ons for new cards) because they want
to sucker me into that debt cycle.

Paul is what the credit card industry calls a "deadbeat"....
When the banks started the cc: industry in the 60's; they used
to cancel such people. Federal regulations somewhat constrain
them now.

There was a Frontline on the cc industry just last week. See
if your PBS station is rerunning it.
--
A host is a host from coast to
Old November 26th 04, 01:29 PM
David Lesher

Matt Whiting writes:

Actually, there are lots of other valid reasons. One is that in many
places you can't do things like rent a car without plastic. Many car
rental places won't take cash.

Years ago, Hertz wouldn't even allow a _2nd driver_ who didn't have
one. They gave me all kinds of BS reason.

--
A host is a host from coast to