Tinted canopies

Old September 16th 18, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Default Tinted canopies

I've noticed no difference with sunglasses and a tinted canopy.

Here is a video posted on a different subject (incipient spins) on this site. But notice the difference in tint between the canopy and the vent window. It almost seems that the window is tinted and the canopy not.

https://youtu.be/PpJA53LjarM?t=119

ROY
Old September 16th 18, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Using prescription "photobrown" tinted glasses, and the canopy is tinted if I can help it. Alle ist gut.
But flying mostly Southwestern USA or NSW, Australia it seems to me that the heat under a clear canopy is a handicap.
The only time I can remember wishing for a clear canopy was for perhaps 5 minutes when a storm ended a SE ridge flight in Pennsylvania. Wipers would have been more of an improvement.
Jim
Old September 16th 18, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Friday, September 14, 2018 at 8:02:29 PM UTC-7, Gerry Simpson wrote:
What has been the experience among the readers of this sight with respect to colorless or blue tinted canopies and perception changes. For example, do haze domes look essentially the same? Do crops and ground features appear altered? It was conveyed to me from a reasonably knowledgeable source that Sebastian Kawa will not fly with a tinted canopy for these reasons. Also, how much hazardous UV protection is actually afforded by blue tint?

Many manufactures offer clear, blue or green tint. I understand from several manufacturer reps over the decades that they generally suggest clear canopies on east coast and tinted for western pilots. AS I am a western pilot I have ordered green tint several times and was always happy I did. I ordered green as, green is a popular color for aviation sunglasses years ago. I have purchased several gliders from the east coast with clear canopies and always missed the tint.
Old September 16th 18, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

is a popular color for aviation sunglasses years ago. I have purchased several gliders from the east coast with clear canopies and always missed the tint.

I am east coast, TN, and had green on my laster glider, clear now. REALLY MISS the green.

Kevin
92
Old September 17th 18, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Blue tint is fastest.

T8
Old September 17th 18, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman

Anyone tried a red tint? Should be fastest of all and would look hot.

Cheers Ben
Old September 17th 18, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 2:30:06 PM UTC-7, James Metcalfe wrote:

So where does the extra heat go?

To nearby air molecules, lifting the airmass you're in and raising your effective L/D. Not a bad option for 250 or 300 Euros.
Jim
Old September 17th 18, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 5:54:57 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Q13: What is the new SC- (Solar Control) Material?
A: The following is a Technical Bulletin from Polycast:
Enhanced Protection from Ultraviolet "A" radiation
UVA exposure can increase the risk of skin cancer and will damage most organic materials. Standard plastic transparencies block practically all UVB and about 80% of UVA rays. Polycast SC colors block all of the UV and 99% of all UVA rays. The harm caused by UV can be reduced by a factor of 20, when SC products are compared to standard acrylic materials.

UV radiation intensely increases approximately 5% with every 1000 ft of altitude while traditional plastic transparencies provide adequate UV protection at sea level it is insufficient at higher altitudes. Pilots, passengers and interior materials may be exposed to periods of high UVA radiation without the protection offered by Polycast SCTM.
Solar Energy Control
For small and medium-sized aircraft and helicopters, the interior heat build up is a serious problem when not in flight. Polycast SCTM colors block out a significant portion of the Near-Infrared Radiation (NIR); this results in less heat. This benefit is gained without sacrificing Visible Light Transmission (VLT), compared to standard materials. For a given VLT, Polycast SCTM colors reduce the NIR radiation (solar energy heat) that penetrates the aircraft by about 30%.
Benefits are synergistic
Damage to aircraft interiors results from periods of inactivity while parked in the sun. The combination of UV radiation (*even at sea level) and high temperatures accelerate the rate of damage to all nonmetallic materials inside the aircraft. The rate of photochemical degradation of organic materials exposed to UV radiation is approximately doubled with every 18°F temperature increase. Keeping the temperatures lower and the UV out will increase the service life of interior components.

All plexiglas blocks 98+% of UV, which is a good thing when you fly 7+ hours at altitudes over 12,000 ft. If you don't think so, put SPF 60 on one arm and leave the other one w/o prior to a long flight. Afterwards, see if there is any difference between the two.

Tom
Old September 17th 18, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 7:41:28 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 5:54:57 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Q13: What is the new SC- (Solar Control) Material?
A: The following is a Technical Bulletin from Polycast:
[...]

DG, which uses Mecaplex canopies, claims they absorb 95% of UV:

https://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/en/lib...nopy-dg-glider

Tom

K6 cr Canopies Rob Shepherd Soaring 1 April 4th 11 07:21 PM
Tinted canopies desirable? Itsaplane[_2_] Soaring 15 August 11th 09 01:45 PM
micro mesh on canopies BB Soaring 9 November 14th 07 12:24 AM
Grob 103 Canopies Terry Healy Soaring 0 January 15th 04 04:29 PM
Who makes Canopies? spektr Home Built 7 August 5th 03 02:04 PM